Thread: One for Glenda

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

Default One for Glenda

For newer members, why this is particularly relevant to Glenda .

Is it the end of the honesty box?
    Page 1 of 2 5:00AM Sunday June 10, 2007
    By Jared Savage

Ross Mackay says stall thieves cost him $1500 a year. Photo / Doug Sherring

A few bad apples have spoiled it for everyone, says a West Auckland orchardist who has had so much fruit stolen from his front gate that he has resorted to video surveillance of his "honesty" box.

Ross and Jenny Mackay say most days fresh fruit is taken from their stall without being paid for - costing the couple up to $1500 each year.

The horticulture industry says the Mackays are far from alone, and the trend has meant the death knell of the traditional Kiwi honesty box.

Growing apples, avocados, mandarins, feijoas and passionfruit on their 12ha property near Helensville for the past 16 years, the Mackays said fruit thefts had become progressively worse.

"It's fresh, cheap fruit and people still insist on stealing it. We work bloody hard to get a product - that's what gets me so wild, so angry," Ross Mackay said.

When the couple first started selling fruit on the roadside in the 1980s, an open yoghurt container held the money so that people could take the correct change.

More here .
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

Glenda is offline All Knowing Deity
    Bay of Islands

That brings back some memories.

The trees are once again laden with fruit but with the impending house move I don't have the time to pick them. Not entirely a waste as it is an 'off' year and not as bountiful a harvest as last year.

I sympathise with these folk. It takes time and effort to pick and pack fruit, and fortunately most people are trustworthy, but it is just those few thieving s*ds who spoil it.
    In NZ since June 2005
    Better to light a candle than to curse the darkness - Chinese proverb

selchie is offline All Knowing Deity
    Behind the Redwood Curtain
    Blog Entries

Every so often, in more rural areas of CA, I'll see a stand with an honesty box. I'm rather surprised that it can still be worthwhile to them. It's angering to think that even NZ has enough thieving jerks to make honesty boxes nearly obsolete. . I like the Name and Shame approach.
    If men had wings and bore black feathers, few of them would be clever enough to be crows.
    - Rev. Henry Ward Beecher, mid-1800s