Thread: Changes afoot for wealthy migrants

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

Default Changes afoot for wealthy migrants

Rules for wealthy migrants relaxed
    5:00AM Wednesday June 06, 2007
    By Claire Trevett

New rules allowing wealthy investors into the country will be announced today in an attempt to reverse a collapse in numbers applying to enter.

Immigration Minister David Cunliffe will outline changes to the investor migrants category after the numbers of migrants applying to enter New Zealand in this category fell from more than 1000 a year to fewer than 20 after tighter rules were introduced.

Since July 2005, anyone applying for residency as an investor has had to have at least $2 million, which the Government holds for five years. The investor can withdraw up to $1 million after two years to invest in a business that will benefit New Zealand.

Previously, investor migrants had to bring $1 million which the Government held for two years.

The policy was tightened to prevent rorts such as people borrowing the money required and repaying it as soon as they had residency, or gaining residency and sending the money to others to enter as "investors".

More here .
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

Bermy Girl is offline Senior Member

How does that song go..."If I had a million dollars..." Fat chance! But as we all know...money isn't everything...

ShellBda is offline Oh Masterful One

Red face

I had every intention of entering NZ under the investor category but I only had $999,000! Bermy Girl just wouldn't give me the extra $1000 I needed!

I WISH!!!

Welshgirl is offline Super Moderator
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ShellBda View Post
    Bermy Girl just wouldn't give me the extra $1000 I needed!
    Some friend

ShellBda is offline Oh Masterful One

I am just waiting for Bermy Girl to come back with witty response! She will come.....

Bermy Girl is offline Senior Member

Maligned again....story of my life...

kokopeli is offline God like figure

On a serious note.....

... they were saying on Radio New Zealand National this morning that applicants able to invest $20 million would have their applications for residency 'fast tracked'. No need to speak English, no educational requirements, no other restrictions. While they made it sound like an open door, the reporter implied that applicants would need to have the money 'in their hand' rather than tied up in real estate, shares and other investments. Realistically speaking, how many people will be eligible to apply under this category? And how many of those would actually want to live in New Zealand? I'm sure there'll be some, but $20million is a heck of a lot to have in your current account.

New Zealand First have been on the radio claiming that this proposal will allow foreign investors to buy up all the land and force property prices even higher. As I see it, the current rules don't stop that happening now and it's been going on for a long time.

It all smells a bit Tony Blair/Alastair Campbell to me.......

Taffy is offline He who shall be ignored
    Blog Entries

Money always talks louder than anything else. Always has done, always will do!
    Taffy

The greatest mistake you can make in life is to be continually fearing you will make one.

Dawn is offline All Knowing Deity
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Taffy View Post
    Money always talks louder than anything else. Always has done, always will do!
    Now, don't get me started again
    Passionate about the unfathomableness opportunities of kiwi-a-gogo-land

Taffy is offline He who shall be ignored
    Blog Entries

Now, don't get me started again
    Heaven forbid!!
    Taffy

The greatest mistake you can make in life is to be continually fearing you will make one.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast