Thread: Don't put your hands up

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

Default Don't put your hands up

Here we go again! Good old UK.

Pupils Told: 'Don't Put hands Up In Class'
    By Sky News SkyNews - Friday, June 1 04:20 am

Teachers should not ask pupils to put their hands up in class to answer questions, according to government advice.

Research has suggested quiet children, who do not put their hands up, are falling behind.

It identified a group of youngsters who struggle to keep up with their classmates between the ages of seven and 11, despite doing well in previous years.

Ministers published a report advising schools how to help these so-called "invisible children", who often try to avoid drawing attention to themselves during lessons.

Education Secretary Alan Johnson said: "We need to make sure that no-one is left behind at any point - from the most gifted and talented children at the top of the class, to the quiet child who is well-practised at hiding from the teacher's gaze at the back of the class."

More here .
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

KiwiHopeful is offline God like figure

Dare I weigh in ...

As a teacher, I've been very conscious of this. Perhaps there's been more interest in this issue in the US for longer? I was taught different ways to get reluctant students to respond and discuss in class, such as moving around the room, giving 'wait time,' doing quick whips around the classroom, etc. Lately they've been pushing the use of little whiteboards in math classes, so everyone can respond without anyone else knowing if they got the answer right or wrong.

Basically, I think this is all a good idea--too often in class, the heavy lifting is done by a handful of the more assertive students (and believe me, I was one of them) while the more passive or shy students just melt into the background. It's hard to learn a lot if you're just a spectator.

BTW, not surprisingly, the headline on the article (yahoo's, not MB's) *totally* distorts what the article actually says in order to inspire the most controversy.
    EOI Submitted: July 20, 2006
    EOI Selected: August 2, 2006
    ITA Received: October 12, 2006
    ITA Submitted: February 2, 2007
    Migrant Levy Paid & Visas Shipped: June 6, 2007
    Arrived in NZ: July 26th, 2007
    Leaving NZ: June 1st, 2008

Dawn is offline All Knowing Deity
    Blog Entries

I agree KH. It's common sense isn't it. My subject being drama we don't ask that many questions anyway as we're usually 'doing' to answer things but whenever we do have these analytical sessions, it's always the same few that are willing to be vocal. Interestingly, they're not the same ones that stand out practically. Everyone has their own way of 'shining'. Luckily, drama/dance/music gives the kids more ways to become involved. I always make a point of asking the ones who don't have their hand up, especially if I know they have something interesting to say even if they're not sure they do. Talking things through gets better results than firing questions for me. But every subject is different and everyone has a different teaching style and also their own comfort zones.

I'm all for this. It's a positive move. I've read about it being implemented here but if it has the teachers are slow to take it up because I don't see much evidence of it.
    Passionate about the unfathomableness opportunities of kiwi-a-gogo-land

Sadly, in my experience people usually teach the way they were taught. Most teachers were pretty good students themselves and so don't that many (most?) don't really 'get' school in the traditional way.

Please don't think I'm bashing teachers--I'm one myself. It's just that many of us don't have good methodology. Fortunately, there is a subset that is able to overcome that obstacle through sheer force of will.

Blog Entries

This is one of the things that you and I should have a discussion about sitting looking at the sea with a couple of bottles of red! Intellectually KH you turn me on!!!

Sounds like a plan! But, I must admit I used to love merlot, but now I am totally addicted to NZ savignon blanc (well, not really, but you know what I mean). You drink the red, I'll drink the white!

Blog Entries

You've got a date bud! I'll hold you to it! Have done a bit of wrestling in my time, I grew up with 4 big brothers!!