Thread: Keeping shops closed over Easter

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

Default Keeping shops closed over Easter

Labour Department set to keep shops closed over Easter
    3:40PM Thursday April 05, 2007
    By Laila Harre

The Labour Department says it will be enforcing Easter trading laws this year to the best of its capabilities.

Last year more than 70 retailers were prosecuted for opening on Good Friday or Easter Sunday, facing fines of up to $1000.

The law currently allows only certain shops, which provide essential supplies, to open on those days.

These include shops providing food ready to eat, souvenir and duty free shops, pharmacies, and shops in premises where there are bona fide shows or exhibitions.

Department deputy secretary for workplace Andrew Annakin said inspectors would be visiting retailers on Good Friday and Easter Sunday.

More here .
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

ambrose is offline Junior Member

Default That explains it

Tried to go shopping today at Sylvia Park, was very weird seeing it all closed.

What got me was the lack of notices in the stores, but as it DoL directive i can understand.

Back to packing then, moving from Auckland to Wellington, so much to do.

Enjoy

Alex
    EOI Submited 2nd June 2006 (180 Points)
    EOI Selected 9th June 2006
    ITA Submited 16th August 2006
    PR Granted 12th September 2006
    Arrived 18th October 2006

Bought Our 1st House 28th March 2007:
    18 Months in and still loving it.

Wellington is much better than Auckland

Blog Entries

Easter trading hours a 'circus'

8:57AM Friday April 06, 2007

The Government is under fire for the "circus" of Easter trading laws.

Cameron Brewer of the Newmarket Business Association said the law "will again cause a circus this weekend with many retailers crying foul and others feeling they have no option but to break the law."

He said it was crazy that Parnell could trade on Easter Sunday but Newmarket could not.

"It's equally crazy that visitor destinations like Queenstown and Taupo can trade, but Rotorua, Mt Maunganui and Wanaka can't and desperately want to."

He said the government should have promoted Labour MP Steve Chadwick's private member's bill on Easter trading to become a Government measure, giving it legislative priority.

More here .
    Mother Bear

Blog Entries

Some people just need to earn a living, even on public holidays. What's the harm so long as staff aren't press-ganged into having to work against their will?

19 retailers ignore Good Friday rules
    5:00AM Saturday April 07, 2007
    By Errol Kiong

More than three-quarters of retailers visited by Labour Department inspectors yesterday were flouting Good Friday trading rules.

Department staff checked on 25 stores around the country and found 19 trading illegally. Most were garden centres.

Andrew Annakin, the department's deputy secretary (workplace), said most stores visited were likely to have been prosecuted before.

"These visits could result in the retailer being issued with a warning or summons, depending on the retailer's specific circumstances."

The department visits annually on the 3 1/2 restricted days set out in the Shop Trading Hours Repeal Act 1990.

More here .
    Mother Bear

Blog Entries

. Something not quite right here. Wonder if this is a man-made rule as, to my mind, selling your body is classed as 'selling goods'. Just my thoughts.

Brothels cleared to open during Easter trade ban
    By PAUL EASTON - The Dominion Post | Monday, 9 April 2007

Confusion over Easter trading laws has spread to the oldest service industry in the world - the sex trade.

A woman rang The Dominion Post yesterday asking if her "friend", who worked at a Wellington brothel, was risking a fine by working on Easter Sunday.

Labour Department deputy secretary Andrew Annakin said brothels could stay open over Easter, as they provided a service rather than sold goods.

Most stores that sell goods must close, unless they sell essential supplies.

More here .
    Mother Bear

LilAmy is offline God like figure

I couldnt believe how many shops were shut over the Easter Break and that you couldnt buy booze on Good Friday. We almost died. We travelled all the way up to Opotiki to friends and thought we can buy drink when we get there and had to arrive empty handed.

Dont know if I missed notices telling you of this but we didnt have a clue about it!!

Made for one very dry and healthy Friday night in...

selchie is offline All Knowing Deity
    Blog Entries

I though NZ was a secular state - what's up with 3 out of 4 enforced holidays being religious - specifically Christian - ones? What about some Maori cultural days or something?
    If men had wings and bore black feathers, few of them would be clever enough to be crows.
    - Rev. Henry Ward Beecher, mid-1800s

Maggiemoo is offline Senior Member
    Salisbury UK (was Tauranga NZ from 06/06 to 05/07)

Hi Lil'Amy, you weren't by any chance in a little cafe on Church Street in Opotiki on Easter Monday (around 10.30/11am)? There was a Scottish couple in there at the same time as us, we stopped briefly in Opotiki on the way up from Gisborne to Whakatane. I know there are hundreds of Scottish people around, but it just seemed a possibility when I saw that you were in Opotiki for Easter!

Maggie x

LilAmy is offline God like figure

We were actually. It must have been us as there were only a few cafe's open on Monday. What a small world.

I've also just found out that a girl I work with knows my friend from Opotiki as well. They used to play together when they were small kids!

We had are arms filled with bags of goodies when we walked out. I can assure you it was for 6 people and not just me and Stu :D

Blog Entries

Bill to change Easter trading laws defeated
    NZPA | Thursday, 3 May 2007

A bill that would have allowed shops to open on Good Friday and Easter Sunday was defeated 84-37 on its second reading in Parliament last night.

The member's bill was drafted by National's Otago MP Jacqui Dean, and when it was introduced in May last year it provided for limited opening hours from 10am to 5pm in two places in the country, Wanaka and Tauranga.

A select committee changed it to unrestricted opening hours across the whole country. Another bill to change Easter Trading laws has just started its second reading debate. It is also a member's bill, promoted by Labour's Rotorua MP Steve Chadwick.

Her bill would allow local authorities to decide whether shops in their area could open on Easter Sunday only.

Both bills are subject to conscience votes.

They could not both be passed because they contradict each other. Ms Chadwick's is thought to have a better chance.

The second reading debate is expected to finish on May 16, when a vote will be taken.
    Unions and churches oppose both the bills.

The National Distribution Union (NDU) said last night the defeat of Ms Deans' bill was a "positive sign".

"Parliament has rejected the immediate liberalisation of shop trading at Easter," said NDU national secretary Laila Harre.

More here .
    Mother Bear