Thread: It's tough at the top

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

Default It's tough at the top

Happy New Year (albeit a bit late) from forum leaders to forum members (I was busy slaving away behind the camera ). This is how we spent our New Year's Day in Hamilton. Must admit most of us suffered afterwards through getting careless and underestimating the strength of the NZ sun. If anyone is wondering why there's cardboard under the table and chairs, it's because of leaching by the wood stain whenever the wood gets wet. A real pain in the bum as it turned out and went on a lot longer than stated.

Check out the sunset from our house.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

Blog Entries

Default A couple more

Not really to do with New Year or forum leaders gently frying in the sun, but here's a quick shot of early morning mist from our old house, north of Hamilton, which we've been working hard on prior to putting it up for sale.

Also a hot air balloon that suddenly rose up behind a neighbour's house early one morning as I was eating my brekkie outside and gave me quite a start. Several mornings, as we set out to work on our old house, we saw a balloon (possibly the same one) floating about over the area so it must be quite a regular occurrence.

Apologies for not having any more interesting photos of our NZ trip to share, but we simply didn't have the time to venture out and about sightseeing.
    Mother Bear

selchie is offline All Knowing Deity
    Blog Entries

Ah, I hadn't realized that you bought the other house - very nice. I knew that you were looking, but missed the memo announcing the purchase. Good luck with the old place. It has lovely views and a peaceful setting, so hopefully someone will grab it quickly.
    If men had wings and bore black feathers, few of them would be clever enough to be crows.
    - Rev. Henry Ward Beecher, mid-1800s

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by selchie View Post
    I knew that you were looking, but missed the memo announcing the purchase.
    I don't think I made the announcement, Selchie, so you didn't miss anything. Hope you'll be able to visit the new house sometime, as it is a step up from the old rural one. The lifestyle block is, as you say, usually very peaceful and has great views. In our hearts we really don't want to sell it because it feels good to be there, but with NZ being NZ and weeds and cobwebs abounding, the place deteriorates quickly without someone to care for it. We've made a number of improvements to make the place more easy-care but, given more time, money and thought, it could eventually be turned into an idyllic haven away from the hustle and bustle. Better to let someone else get enjoyment out of it and take care of it at the same time .
    Mother Bear

selchie is offline All Knowing Deity
    Blog Entries

If we were to move to the area, I'd consider it. A bee yard would be just the thing to spiff the place up.
    If men had wings and bore black feathers, few of them would be clever enough to be crows.
    - Rev. Henry Ward Beecher, mid-1800s

zummerzet_lou is offline your flexible friend
    Blog Entries

All I can say is WOW ... looks lovely .. and from the photos, it appears as though you all enjoyed your holiday

Lou
    EOI Submitted 8th July 2007, 140 points no job offer.
    EOI Selected 18th July 2007
    ITA pack received 12th Oct 2007
    Completed ITA posted to NZIS 26th November 2007
    Case Officer assigned approx 22nd Feb 2008
    Immigration interview 7th May 2008
    PR AIP 10th May 2008
    Arrived in NZ, August 13th

Check out our website -> http://the-clarks.freehostia.com/

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by zummerzet_lou View Post
    ..... it appears as though you all enjoyed your holiday
    Hmmmm, not quite as we'd hoped . Apart from the first couple of days to get over the flight and catch up with family, we were hard at work on the old house and it really was hard as there was so much to do in so short a time. We worked 7 days a week, up to 12 hours a day and still it wasn't finished. What didn't help was that the guy who had the place before us was a bodger and we've had to put right a lot of what he'd done wrong. Also hubster was installing a new rainwater drainage system and control panel to monitor flow between our old rainwater tank and a new one sited down in the paddock. It was quite complicated and digging trenches was a nightmare in the heavy Hamilton clay and held us up for days. Because of all the materials we needed every day, we became quite well known in Bunnings (the NZ equivalent of B & Q). I have to say, the staff in there are amazing - friendly, helpful and know their products. We aren't used to that here where no one knows anything. We were very appreciative of the help they gave us.

Apart from it being purely a working holiday, we did note the general kiwi friendliness and also politeness which, in certain circumstances, kind of shocked me e.g. youngsters who bumped into me and immediately apologised even though I was partly to blame. They even sounded like they meant it. In the UK or here I would be lucky, at best, to just be ignored but more likely to get a black look or mouthful of abuse. At the checkouts in the supermarkets we were more often than not greeted with a smile and a query about how our day had gone or how were we. Shopping became a pleasure whereas here it is a chore because of the scowling faces and lack of service.

On a daily basis we were wandering into Bunnings for materials and New World for food to take to our work and hubster was dressed in a torn T shirt, grubby soil-stained shorts and wellies (sorry, gumboots) and I wasn't much better yet no one gave us a second glance. We fitted right in as many others were similarly dressed.

With not having time to prepare meals we appreciated the many takeaway shops that provided generally good meals for reasonable prices. We had dealings with our solicitor about our two properties and were amazed at how simply everything is dealt with and how fair his prices are. Maybe it was because he was a rural-type solicitor, but there was no shirt, tie and pin-striped suit, but what did that matter? He just wore a T shirt and slacks, which brought him down to our level. Things in the UK are made so complicated and charged for accordingly. If NZ can do it, why can't the UK?

Perhaps it has something to do with the difficulty of living where we are but, in general, we found most things in NZ to be a lot easier to accomplish. We'd heard that kiwis are very slow to respond to a request for service, but, during our stay, we organised several tradesmen to visit and give quotes for work and they all arrived more or less on time and without any hassle.

One minor irritation was the ATMs we used only gave out NZ$20 notes. That was a bit of a struggle when we had to draw out a large sum of money to pay someone.

I'm sure, if it hadn't been for our heavy workload, we'd have had a wonderful time in NZ. The weather was a mixed bag with some rainy days and some very hot days. In January we found that the early mornings and evenings were still quite chilly and although the sun was very hot, the breeze could have a bit of a nip to it.

We are still happy with our choice to settle in Hamilton and find it has most things that we would need although there is still a lot of exploring to be done and more delights to discover. Maybe next time?
    Mother Bear

ebianca is offline Gingery, Peppery & Spicy
    Blog Entries

Lovely post MB. Makes a change to have one like that from you instead of ones offering advice and info to other people.
    Sounds as though you have fallen for Hamilton and I hope it won't be too long before you can be there again to enjoy the place properly.
    Flights booked for 24th March 2008!
    Landed in Wellington 26th March 2008!!

Job Offer Received 9th July 2008!

Temp Work Permit application submitted 11th July 2008!
    Temp Work Permit approved 4th August 2008!

EOI Submitted 11th July 2008!
    EOI Selected 16th July 2008!
    EOI 'Successful' 1st August 2008!
    ITA Received 8th August 2008!
    ITA Aplication accepted 26th September!

APROVED in Principle 10th June 2009!!!!
    Residency Visa issued 7th July 2009!!!!!