Thread: Street View

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

Default Street View

Check this out. Like Google Earth, it involves the whole world and is still evolving. I don't think the street view facility has reached NZ yet although there are photos and videos on there that may be of interest.

If you click on Go to Street View and type in an address at the top, then click Search Maps, it brings up a map of the area which is dragable. Drag the little orange man to the street you want to visit. It may be a useful tool for someone wanting to explore an area, but, in time, there may be a real street view facility available. I found I had to refresh the page before it would allow me to view a different city. If Street View is available in your chosen place, there should be a little orange man showing on the map above the slider bar.
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

Blog Entries

Google's Street View in NZ soon
    By TOM PULLAR-STRECKER - The Dominion Post | Monday, 04 August 2008

Google will launch a New Zealand edition of its controversial Street View application within the next few months after agreeing to protect the identity of people filmed in public places, following talks with the privacy commissioner.

The free software lets internet users "walk" down city streets and view photos of the scene from any angle on their computer screens.

Street View has encountered opposition in Europe and North America, because pedestrians and vehicles can be made out in some pictures. There are fears Street View could be used to plan burglaries.

Google's spokesman in Sydney, Rob Shilkin, says it takes the privacy concerns seriously.

"We have been liaising with regulators and groups in New Zealand. We will be blurring faces, licence plates won't be identifiable and there is a very easy system for anyone to report imagery that they feel is inappropriate."

Privacy commissioner Marie Shroff accepts Street View may unsettle some people, but says Google has made an effort to inform her of its plans and think through the privacy implications.

"I have been pleased to see that, as a result, Google has taken active steps to better protect individual privacy.

"I note that there is to be an 'image removal tool'. That is, in effect, a request to Google to remove a particular image. If individuals are concerned about the way Street View seems to be operating, they can contact this office."

Mr Shilkin is confident Street View will be received enthusiastically. "Lots of groups are really excited, from tourism organisations and real estate agents to geography teachers all of whom will find it an incredibly useful product."

Streets in dozens of American cities have been covered so far and Google launched Street View in France and Italy last month.

Mr Shilkin won't say how much of New Zealand has already been filmed. Google has stated that its ultimate goal is to provide street views of the "entire world".

In January, Wellington mapping firm Terralink kicked off its own project to film the scene from the length of all 144,000 kilometres of roads in New Zealand over the next two years, using a van equipped with six cameras strapped to its roof.

Unlike Google, Terralink does not plan to make its entire database available free online. Instead, it hopes to sell its imagery to government agencies, utilities and emergency services.

Terralink managing director Mike Donald says its purpose in capturing the imagery is different from Google's. Terralink's imagery will be used to support a "second-generation" of "SatNav" vehicle navigation systems that will record the radius of every bend and the slopes of roads, and which will store the location of traffic signs and show photos of them on-screen.

"We will be looking at taking some of the video information into some business- to-business applications for the real estate, banking and finance sectors. The real difference is ours is tied to a lot of other data, such as property and land information.

"It is another layer of our New Zealand master map database, which has 56 different layers of information ours is not just a case of 'put it up on a website and have a look at it'."

From here. Check out the link to see just what will be picked up on Street View.
    Mother Bear

Blog Entries

For those with Google Earth, Street View is operational now in NZ. Just pick an address as usual and, if the system has covered your area, you'll see a Street View link in the box. Not every street has been done but it's very interesting to see the ones that have. You can click on the directional arrows to take you along the road in either direction and you can also drag the screen around.
    Mother Bear

rasin is offline Member

Wow this is interesting!! I saw our house hubby had rented in the streetview although I'm not in NZ yet!!! I can virtually take a walk around our neighbour!! And guess what? I even saw the nearby playground!
    Last edited by rasin; 02-12-2008 at 07:48 PM.
    Arrived NZ on 15th Dec'08
    Obtained Partnership Work Permit on Mar'09
    EOI submitted on 14Jul'09 (NZ Wellington Central branch)
    ITA received on 10Sep'09
    ITA submitted on 24Nov'09
    PR received on 26Mar'10

Blog Entries

Unfortunately our new NZ home is down a right of way and the car obviously didn't go down that far .

The world can see your home
    By GREER McDONALD - The Dominion Post | Wednesday, 03 December 2008

Big brother is watching - and New Zealanders appear to be enjoying being watched.

They have shown an "overwhelming response" to images of their neighbourhoods going live on a new online mapping service, according to Internet giant Google.

E-mails flew and chatrooms buzzed after the release of the mapping system yesterday, which allows anyone with an Internet connection to peep at almost any urban home in the country.

Called Street View, it offers 360-degree views from street level including up driveways, over fences and through windows.

Even Prime Minister John Key's Parnell mansion can be seen using the tool - though the Mt Eden villa of former prime minister Helen Clark appears to have escaped the camera's gaze.

The Privacy Commission has said that some detail captured by the cameras - including licence plates and the location of children - could be "potentially invasive" and expected the public to raise concerns once the reach of the tool was realised.

The system is active in six other countries, which have already faced privacy issues including embarrassing images showing men leaving strip clubs and urinating in public.

James Woods, of Norway St, Wellington, was fascinated by the mapping system, but could understand that some people might be concerned about having their privacy invaded. "It's very interesting, that's for sure. I can see both sides of the argument. It will be helpful being able to see what I am looking for, but it's also quite in your face."

Millions of photographs were taken by cameras fixed to the roof of cars that drove around the country during the past year.

Google spokeswoman Annie Baxter said there had been a "large rise in numbers using the map site".

Most areas in Wellington - as well as towns and cities across New Zealand - were covered. However, Island Bay, Owhiro Bay and Happy Valley were yet to go online, "possibly due to bad weather", Ms Baxter said. "There are some parts [where] we will be driving in the near future in an effort to expand it."

Wellington man Simon Vita was snapped by the Google camera as he rode his bike to work along Cuba St about two months ago. He said he thought it was "pretty cool" that he was on the site - at least "until the car comes round again".

"They blurred my face out so you wouldn't know it was me."

Privacy Commissioner Marie Shroff said yesterday that she expected members of the public to begin to air their concerns about the latest technology once they realised the "huge scale and reach".

From here.
    Mother Bear

selchie is offline All Knowing Deity
    Blog Entries

From what I've seen, Street View doesn't show any more than one could see by walking or driving by. - Less, because there's only the one photo at any one spot. It's not like a camera is stationed there all the time.

They certainly picked a dreary day last winter to photograph our neighborhood. At least they didn't snap me out in the garden with my backside to the world
    If men had wings and bore black feathers, few of them would be clever enough to be crows.
    - Rev. Henry Ward Beecher, mid-1800s

Taffy is offline He who shall be ignored
    Blog Entries

You're right Selchie, it's not different to walking down the street apart from one thing - the problem arises that should an actual person unknown to the neighbourhood be walking down the street taking a particular interest in a house, someone might take notice and call the police. With this, you're walking through neighbourhoods as the invisible man. I dont think it's so much a privacy concern, more of a security concern.

One other thing to realise is this is just the start of this kind of publicly available technology, so the question remains as to what next?! It's fascinating to see from a novelty aspect, but even being the techno geek I am, I don't like it. I don't like it one bit.
    Taffy

The greatest mistake you can make in life is to be continually fearing you will make one.

Blog Entries

On the street where you live
    4:00AM Sunday Dec 07, 2008

There's only one way to be sure that you won't be seen in public: don't go out. And that constitutes a complete answer to the privacy geeks who lament that Google Street View, which went online in New Zealand this week, is a dangerous invasion of our privacy.

Cars with cameras equipped to record 360-degree images mounted on their roofs have "snapped" most streets in the country and posted the images on the internet, allowing browsers to see the scenery lining most roads from street level.

Most users will presumably have rushed to see what their neighbourhood or street frontage looks like (did anyone check during the US presidential campaign whether you can actually see Russia from Sarah Palin's house?). But, predictably, some are worrying about privacy implications.

They're a few years too late. Google Earth, active for some years, has allowed anyone with a decent PC to inspect aerial views of your backyard much more up-to-date than those that will be loaded biennially by Street View. And it seems a bit silly to get uptight about a static image of a moment in time on your street that would be visible, in much higher-definition and in real time, to anyone driving by.

It's called Street View for a reason. The camera isn't coming down your drive, up the steps and into the kitchen. When it does, it will be called reality television. Now there's an idea whose time has come.

From here.
    Mother Bear