Thread: Using Google Earth

Burgundy21 is offline Member

Thumbs up Using Google Earth

Don't know how many would be Kiwis have done this yet but I spent the morning looking at images of Christchurch, Nelson and even Dunedin on Google. It's absolutely amazing, and gives you some idea of density of housing, green spaces, the gorgeous coast, even snippets of local architecture, plus the Wikepedia thingy drops in for fun facts!!

Couldn't find our little 2 week rental place though but saw the Ami stadium ( quick wave to KH!) and the size of Hagley Park. Thoroughly recommend it if you have spare time.

Dunno why I said "even" Dunedin, it looked fab too even if I didn't find Macfod's caf

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

I love going on my cyber travels with Google Earth . It's great for keeping tabs on places we've lived to see how things have developed since we've left and to take a trip down memory lane. I've got all my favourite places saved so I can scoot around them all and keep up with what's going on. And now, with version 4.2 you can even see the stars, never mind Dunedin.

I downloaded 4.2 to see if I could get the 3D views of buildings that everyone seems to be talking about, but my buildings are still as flat as the proverbial pancake. 3D is selected in the menu. Have I missed something?
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

KiwiHopeful is offline God like figure

If you look at the Waimakariri River just north of Chch where the Expressway crosses it, you'll see some pictures that I posted through Panaromio ... they're of the spot where Koko tried to drown me. Apparently, I'm not the only one he's tried to dispose of there.

Seriously, it is a great tool for checking the place out. We did the same trick when looking at houses from the US. It's also fun to go on a 'virtual tour' by following a road from about 2000 feet and checking out the pictures people have posted.
    EOI Submitted: July 20, 2006
    EOI Selected: August 2, 2006
    ITA Received: October 12, 2006
    ITA Submitted: February 2, 2007
    Migrant Levy Paid & Visas Shipped: June 6, 2007
    Arrived in NZ: July 26th, 2007
    Leaving NZ: June 1st, 2008