Thread: Possum Pie?

Taffy is offline He who shall be ignored
    Blog Entries

Default Possum Pie?

For those who haven't encountered one:

This wee fella is a regular visitor, and likes to go for an early morning run on our roof with his working boots on.. at least thats what it sounds like!
    Taffy

The greatest mistake you can make in life is to be continually fearing you will make one.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Possum Pie?

He's obviously just had lunch, as in this shot you can see he's got most of it down his front!

Taffy

The greatest mistake you can make in life is to be continually fearing you will make one.

Dawn is offline All Knowing Deity
    Blog Entries

Taffy how could you? Possum Pie indeed! How about a bit of Welsh Rarebit instead!! :D
    Passionate about the unfathomableness opportunities of kiwi-a-gogo-land

Glenda is offline All Knowing Deity

;D

Usually the only place you get to see them is flat on the road. ? :(

You can get possum pie, pate, etc. at some food markets or agricultural shows. ?The fur can be bought also.

Anyone tried possum meat yet? ? :-/ ?

:)
    Glenda
    In NZ since June 2005
    Better to light a candle than to curse the darkness - Chinese proverb

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

It was my first sighting of a live possum . As Glenda says, all the others I've seen aplenty have been as carpet slippers on the road and quite a mess they make as well.

We were woken up the other night by something clattering over the top of us, which was a bit unnerving as, living out in the country, it's usually very quiet during the night.

When Taffy took the photos of this possum, it didn't seem in the least perturbed that we were shining a torch and pointing a camera at it. Must have star qualities or something as it's obviously used to being in the limelight .
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

Blog Entries

You can get possum pie, pate, etc. at some food markets or agricultural shows. ?The fur can be bought also.

Anyone tried possum meat yet? ? :-/ ?

:)
    I reckon this part of NZ culture is gonna be quite hard for me to accept! I've heard that the NZ'ers don't really come down on the side of 'emotional aaaah' when it comes to animals, they don't have qualms about eating or wearing their furry co-habitants. I can be pragmatic about animals being farmed for food as long as they're kept and culled humanely and only on demand of course but wearing one..........no, that just switches my adrenalin fuelled animal instincts to fight stance. We are no longer iron age settlers whose only chance to survive a harsh winter in a shelter made from wood, bark and thatch is to skin a bear and wear it for 6 months. We have progressed marginally since then, I think :-/

Blog Entries

We are no longer iron age settlers whose only chance to survive a harsh winter in a shelter made from wood, bark and thatch is to skin a bear and wear it for 6 months. We have progressed marginally since then, I think :-/
    You've just described a large amount of the NZ housing stock there, Dawn ;D
    Taffy

Blog Entries

We are no longer iron age settlers whose only chance to survive a harsh winter in a shelter made from wood, bark and thatch is to skin a bear and wear it for 6 months. We have progressed marginally since then, I think :-/
    You've just described a large amount of the NZ housing stock there, Dawn ?;D
    You know as I wrote that I was thinking the same thing. Oh well, it won't be the first time I've been made to eat my words!!

Debd is offline Oh Masterful One

Great shots, it's nice to get to see them properly! Alive.

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

I just hope she gets out before she becomes too chubby. I know I shouldn't but ...........Aaaaawwwwwww.

Mother possum makes herself right at home
    By JENNY LING - Western Leader | Thursday, 12 April 2007

Tom Connor put up his bird house to attract feathered friends - not furry ones.

So the retired 65-year-old was surprised to find a mother possum and her babies had moved in.

"I thought it was a dove and went to put my hand in to see what is was," he says.

"Then I saw the ears and changed my mind. "I couldn't believe she got in."

Tom's backyard in Mt Roskill in Auckland is thick with native bush.

He put up the bird house about a month ago and has been feeding the possums Vogels bread twice a day since they moved in at the end of March.

The mother has become quite tame and takes the bread from his hand.

"She eats a slice at a time. She's really cute," Tom says. "We get a lot of birds here. We've got pigeons and tuis. We've got the works - and now we've got possums."

More here
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.