Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A bit of British pride

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

Default A bit of British pride

As some long-standing members will know, I don?t very often show much patriotism or national pride, but today the Red Arrows visited us and I have to say I was impressed by their show of skill, discipline and precision, things greatly lacking in other aspects of British life today. The crowd was screaming with delight and the Omani guy next to me, with his face all lit up, said ?Incredible!? I thought how wonderful it was to hear of someone actually being impressed by a British offering, as it doesn?t happen very often nowadays. Hail to the Red Arrows, ambassadors for Britain!

Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

Glenda is offline All Knowing Deity

Wow MB - what great pictures!

Totally agree with you - the Red Arrows really stir up that patriotism. Their expertise is totally amazing. Glad the locals were impressed too!

:icon_biggrin:
    Glenda
    In NZ since June 2005
    Better to light a candle than to curse the darkness - Chinese proverb

Blog Entries

Wow MB - what great pictures!
    Thanks, Glenda. I got lucky as it wasn’t an easy task to snap such fast-moving targets and I missed part of the show because I was looking through a lens for some of the best bits. Hubster was the same, but sadly his videoing attempts were reduced to bits of wing tip, puffs of smoke and a whole lot of empty sky.

As it happens, we were out for our weekend treat of breakfast in the Intercon Hotel where the airshow was held yesterday. Who should be there, dining right alongside us, but some of the pilots (a giveaway in red flying suits, union jack on the front, crown and crest with nine little red blobs on their sleeves, which could have been planes but I didn’t like to stare ) and a heap of their accompanying entourage. There was a definite whiff of aviation fuel in the vicinity as well. I recognised it from yesterday when 2 plane flew very close to us, nearly blasting me off my feet (I was standing on a little wall as the tide had swiftly come in during the performance). The waiters/waitresses in the Intercon were obviously tickled pink to have these folks amongst them as they were wreathed in smiles and making excuses to fuss around their tables and exchange a few words. The newspapers all showed pics and had write-ups on the front page today.

Mother Bear

Julian is offline Member

I must ditto what Glenda said.

What a sight, Red Arrows in action with a perfect sky (No clouds).

Brilliant!

Blog Entries

Thanks, Julian. ?Must admit to having a little lump in my throat when I looked out the kitchen window around lunch time, just in time to see the Red Arrows flying out from the airport in formation, making for pastures new. ?

I did wonder what it would be like to be part of their team, not an actual pilot, thank you very much ? (nerves couldn't take it), but one of the entourage. ?Must be a great life swanning around the world as a cog in a very successful and much admired wheel. ?Wouldn't happen though as I'm a mere female. ? ?

I must get out more.

As an aside, one of the team, a doctor, was complaining bitterly that someone had nicked his Falklands T shirt out of his room. ?Obviously someone souvenir hunting. ? ?::) ?Off with his hand!
    Mother Bear

selchie is offline All Knowing Deity
    Blog Entries

Fantabolous photos, MB, though the third one looked a bit too much like the Challenger when it blew up. A few years ago, I got to see the US equivalent of the Red Arrows (the Blue Angels), and it was indeed thrilling.
    If men had wings and bore black feathers, few of them would be clever enough to be crows.
    - Rev. Henry Ward Beecher, mid-1800s

Blog Entries

Fantabolous photos, MB, though the third one looked a bit too much like the Challenger when it blew up. A few years ago, I got to see the US equivalent of the Red Arrows (the Blue Angels), and it was indeed thrilling.
    Yes, I agree with you about the third one. ?I knew it reminded me of something, but couldn't remember what (my darned age again!). ?They did one the same but with red, white and blue vapour trails, which might have looked a bit more jolly, but I missed that one. ?It was difficult to keep up with all that was going on.

I was saying to hubster that I wondered whether the Red Arrows were unique in what they do, but obviously not. ?Strange I've never heard of the Blue Angels . ?Are they not so well-known or have I just missed something?
    Mother Bear

selchie is offline All Knowing Deity
    Blog Entries

Considering that I (as a Yank) hadn't heard of the Red Arrows before this thread, it's hardly surprising that you (as a Brit) hadn't heard of the Blue Angels. It seems that both are good for public relations, and I suspect that many countries have their own version. I rather wonder if they are required to see any combat, or if they're only for show. And what a show!

The Blue Angels always come to San Francisco for Fleet Week, and are known for flying between the skyscrapers while practicing and performing. As you might guess, there are those who hate, and those who love their show-off ways. As long as they stay out of the buildings, I'm OK with it.
    If men had wings and bore black feathers, few of them would be clever enough to be crows.
    - Rev. Henry Ward Beecher, mid-1800s

Blog Entries

The Blue Angels always come to San Francisco for Fleet Week, and are known for flying ?between the skyscrapers while practicing and performing. As you might guess, there are those who hate, and those who love their show-off ways. As long as they stay out of the buildings, I'm OK with it.
    Don't like the sound of that. ?All it would take is for one of them to sneeze at the wrong moment and he'd be left with a heap of scrap metal and a pile of rubble.

This is a bit of interesting background on the Red Arrows . Tells you how it all works. ?Seems like they are in it for 3 years and each year 3 of the 9 pilots are changed out for fresh blood and return to normal duty. ?Bet they miss the glamour of it all, but at least they can sleep nights.
    Mother Bear

SteveyC is offline Right Royal Pain In The Posterior

Awesome pictures. Amazing, well done. Good old brits, feeling nostalgic already :-[ that can't be good. :-/ ;D

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast