Thread: Bear's villa pics

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

Default Bear's villa pics

These were taken some time ago before the roads were put in and the garden 'tidied' up. They haven't come out too well due to the reduction in size (Taffy what happened to the site we can upload to for bigger pics?)The garden walls were already starting to collapse and we found a heap of other problems like the glazing on the roof tiles was crazed, paintwork on the solarium (sun roof) was wearing off and there were big holes left in the walls where pipework came out. Such a shame as it's a lovely house.
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

SteveyC is offline Right Royal Pain In The Posterior

Wow looks really nice. I obviously missed a load of posts about this place. What happened to it, for it to be in such a bad state?

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

It's OK, Stevey, I hadn't said much about the villa previously, so you haven't missed anything. Just that I was putting it up for sale.

The list of problems runs as follows and it was all down to poor workmanship:

1) Glazing on blue roof tiles was crazed i.e. cracking
    2) Garden walls broken in several places (also they capped the walls off with cardboard and put a thin layer of cement over it. You could push your finger down through into the cavity of the blockwork.
    3) Garden wall between us and our neighbour was damaged through wet coming through from his garden. Probably his fault for not waterproofing his side of the wall before planting a raised bed up against it.
    4) There were huge holes in the outside walls where pipework had come through. They didn?t bother to tidy them up.
    5) The balustrades (of which there were many) hadn?t been painted and it was said that was how you get them.
    6) The paintwork on the walls of the solarium was already coming off.
    7) There was a long crack on the back external wall of the villa, that went through into one of the bedrooms, which even the agent was very concerned about.
    8) Most of the electric lights weren?t working and one fitting was dangling off the ceiling.
    9) The area surrounding several light switches and sockets looked like someone had gouged them out. We could put our fists into the holes.
    10) Various cupboard doors didn?t fit properly.
    11) Some of the roller blinds on the windows didn?t work properly.
    12) Kitchen worktop was covered in something ?rough? which I just couldn?t scrub off.

There were many other cracks and minor problems to attend to, which is normal in a new house, but we felt that, if the place was in this state now, what would it be like when we returned again next time? It needed someone living there and attending to all the problems as they arise. The design of the house was lovely and we were sad to put it up for sale, but we couldn?t take the risk of leaving it unattended for so long in that state. We did as much work on it as we could in the time, but it wasn't enough.

I can?t put some of the pics on, as they don?t show up properly in their reduced size. Here's just a few

Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

selchie is offline All Knowing Deity
    Blog Entries

Remind me not to use that contractor, if ever I decide to build in Spain. Such a shame, with such a lovely design.
    If men had wings and bore black feathers, few of them would be clever enough to be crows.
    - Rev. Henry Ward Beecher, mid-1800s

SteveyC is offline Right Royal Pain In The Posterior

shocking. I guess the contractors lucky you're in another country or you'd have lynched him I bet. Gits

Daisyspop is offline Senior Member

Looks really nice. It actually reminds me of when we went on holiday to Dubai. We arrived at night and took a coach to our hotel, all tree lined avenues and lots of lights, enchanting. Next morning we woke on the moon to find that road borders were all that existed. Lovely place for a luxurious holiday though