Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Selchie's Art gallery

selchie is offline All Knowing Deity
    Blog Entries

Default Selchie's Art gallery

Because I mentioned my artwork, I thought I'd show off some samples. I need to get some better photos of some of my paintings, so most of this consists of my digital work. Taffy, if I hog too much space, just rip my piccies off the forum. You may well have created a monster.

"Dairy Pitcher, Saint Michael's Mount" this is from the island in Cornwall. Oil on canvas.

"Honeywort" Oil on canvas. A fellow student inspired me with her closely cropped images.

"The Hurlers" on Bodmin Moor, Cornwall. This and the next are part of a small series I call The Barrow World. Digitally manipulated photograph.

"Trethevy Quoit" on Bodmin Moor, Cornwall. Digitally manipulated photograph.

"Writhings" an example of my abstract bent. Digital photo montage.

"New Zealand Souvenir". Digital collage.

Here's the artiste at work on her latest painting.
    If men had wings and bore black feathers, few of them would be clever enough to be crows.
    - Rev. Henry Ward Beecher, mid-1800s

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

These are great, Selchie! I have to admit to squinting at the first oil painting to decide if it was a painting, photograph or real life. I still can?t tell. You certainly have talent. I, once, decided I would get into painting, but very quickly undecided again. Now I stick to smaller projects involving decoupage, glass painting and messing about with card and paper. You already have a weatherboard type house, I see, so you?ll fit right in when you get to NZ. I?ve put a few of my crafty bits in a new topic, but they don?t compare to your genuine talent. Still, it keeps me off the street.
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

Glenda is offline All Knowing Deity

They are really really good pictures selchie. Wouldn't mind a couple of those on my walls. ::):

That last photo ... could be me. Just because some of us have a steady hand and patience - when the house needs refreshing, out comes the brushes and paint. I've done five to date - top to bottom. :icon_rolleyes: :icon_lol:

::):
    Glenda
    In NZ since June 2005
    Better to light a candle than to curse the darkness - Chinese proverb

Taffy is offline He who shall be ignored
    Blog Entries

'Fill yer boots' as they say!

Don't worry about the space for these photos, if space gets short I'll either remove some stuff or expand the storage space, most likely the latter :icon_biggrin:
    Taffy

The greatest mistake you can make in life is to be continually fearing you will make one.

Blog Entries

Golly, thanks :050: . I'm glad you liked them, and that it's OK to post more images. One of these days I'll paint enough that I won't have room to keep them. So far I've gifted a few paintings to friends, but it was so hard to part with them at first. Digital images are easier, of course, because I get to keep one.

Sylvia, I like crafty things too, but have to squeeze them in with all the other fun & games. Don't sell yourself short on your craft skills - those require a good eye for color & pattern, and a steady hand at times. Now I need to check out your craft post.

Glenda, this is the second time I've painted this house - this latest is to freshen it up. Hopefully I can resist doing it again. I love the painting, but the prep work gets old fast. The first time I stripped it to bare wood (heat gun & scraper), and nearly wore out my wrist. I'm getting too old for some of this stuff, but I'm too picky to let a workman do it.
    If men had wings and bore black feathers, few of them would be clever enough to be crows.

Blog Entries

Carolynne asked to see more of my artwork. Considering I have my very first show of my digital work coming up, I'm posting the ones that aren't posted above. My Barrow World series dominates. As you might have noticed, these are from a trip I made to England. I love the ancient sites, and tweaked my boring travel photos into something that evokes the mystery that I feel at them.

West Kennet Long Barrow

Weyland's Smithy

Hurlers' Stone. I'm still not quite happy with this one. It's not moody enough.

Men-an-Tol

St. Breoc Downs Longstone

Stonehenge

Trilithon, Stonehenge

Ancestral Signs

For some reason, my last two pieces didn't want to save in JPEG, and wouldn't load here. They were more straightforward pieces simulating a selenium tone technique from the traditional darkroom. If I can solve the problem, I'll post them.

Blog Entries

I figured it out. So break out the wine and cheese, and pretend you're at my opening.

Ponderosa Pine, Horse Mountain

Snag, Horse Mountain

Blog Entries

This digital artwork intrigues me. Does it come under art or photography or is it recognised as an art form in itself, other than purely for the pleasure of looking at it? It looks like something I?d like to get into but, if I did, I wouldn?t know where to start or what I?d do with it when I?m finished. Is it as simple as taking an existing photograph and photoshopping it or can you create something from scratch? Do you need a special programme for it or just one of the everyday bits of software we ordinary folks use for enhancing our photos? Sorry for all the questions :icon_redface: , but I?ve been pondering over this since I first saw your pics.

They certainly have an atmosphere about them. Spooky, even. How was the Ancestral Signs one created i.e. were the signs on the tree added afterwards or did you find the tree like that?
    Mother Bear

Blog Entries

Digital art is considered another artisitic medium. Some consider digital manipulation a new technique for photography, but others want to keep the digital darkroom separate from the traditional. It can use photography, but doesn't have to. In the class I took, many people created lovely pieces that were completely created in the digital sphere. From what I hear, many of the new cartoons are created completely on the computer. You can also add scanned elements, as I did with New Zealand Souvenir.

I use Photoshop (PS), though there are other programs which one could use. A digital photo processing program can be used for basic adjustments, but you couldn't do a lot of what I was able to do. Some digital cameras come with Photoshop Elements, which is a pared-down version of PS, and I've heard is quite nice. PS is really expensive, so I'd recommend playing with PS Elements first.

I do a lot of layer work, where I can get each layer to interact with the others so I (hopefully) get the results I want. It's tough to describe if you're not familiar with the program. That's why I took a class. Now I glean info from magazines & websites for hints on how to do things better, or to get new effects.

Ancestral Signs is composed of only two photos. In essence, I cut windows out of the manzanita where the bark had peeled back. Then I laid it over the pictographs, to make them look like they were carved there. Between these I added a semi-transparent grayscale layer of the manzanita so that the pictograph layer had some shadowing and texture to make it look like it belonged. Otherwise, it would have been rather flat-looking on a curved surface.

Eerie/spooky was the effect I was after with The Barrow World. It started with a simple technique I learned in class, and I built into that result.

I hope that helped. I'd blither on about digital art even more, but I think that for now I've gone on long enough.

Blog Entries

Thanks for the explanation of digital art, Selchie. Sounds a lot more complicated than I'd hoped. Perhaps one day I'll fall over a class and can learn about it properly, as the idea appeals to me.
    Mother Bear

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast