Thread: Getting NZ license

nab054371 is offline Junior Member

Default Getting NZ license

Hi,

I am planning to move to NZ by end of Jan.Just checking what would it take to get an NZ license since I have a American one? Is it just a matter of filling out the paperwork?

thanks

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

International drivers

If you are visiting from another country or have recently arrived in New Zealand, and you have a current and valid driver licence or international driving permit (IDP), you can drive for a maximum of 12 continuous months from the date you arrive in New Zealand.
    (Each time you visit New Zealand, you may drive for a further 12-month period on a valid international licence or IDP, as long as you stay for no more than a year at a time.)

Note: if your licence or IDP isn't in English, you must carry an accurate English translation issued by:

* a translation service approved by the NZTA (phone the NZTA's driver licensing contact centre on 0800 822 422 for a list of approved translation services), or
    * a diplomatic representative at a high commission, embassy or consulate, or
    * the authority that issued your licence.

Note: if your driver licence is not in English, an IDP in English may be acceptable as a translation.

If you don't have a current and valid overseas driver licence or IDP then you cannot drive in New Zealand. If you want to drive then you must apply for a New Zealand driver licence.
    Converting to a New Zealand class 1 or 6 driver licence

If you have an overseas driver licence, but want to drive for longer than one year in New Zealand, you must convert to a New Zealand driver licence. You should apply early to make sure you have a new licence before you have been in New Zealand for 12 months.

Applications forms are available from driver licensing agent or phone the NZTA's driver licensing contact centre on
    0800 822 422.

Some countries require similar driving skills and have similar licensing systems to New Zealand's. Because of this you don't have to sit a theory or practical test if:

* you have a licence from Australia, Austria, Belgium, Canada, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Ireland, Italy, Japan, Luxembourg, the Netherlands, Norway, Portugal, South Africa, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, the United Kingdom or the United States of America, and
    * your licence is current (or has expired less than 12 months ago), and
    * you are converting a car or a motorcycle licence, and
    * for the practical test, you have held that licence for more than two years.

If you have a licence from a country not listed above you will need to pass the theory and the practical test.

From here.
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

1happywoman is offline Senior Member
    Kawakawa, NZ, formerly Cincinnati, Ohio, USA
    Blog Entries

It's about the only thing that is easy to accomplish in New Zealand! If there is an AA office near you, you can apply for a NZ license there. The cost is about $40. They do an eye test similiar to the one you do at the DMV in the states. You will receive your license in the mail in 7-10 days. You won't need to take a theory or practical test.
    Arrived in Auckland on August 6, 2008.Now live in Kawakawa with my kiwi partner.
    I just started working at Bay of Islands Hospital at the beginning of December 2009.
    Work permit renewed and good until June 2010
    EOI submitted and selected, case manager assigned and ITA received. PR application submitted 28/08/09
    approved in principle 26/01/10, PR granted and received 19/03/10

NevilleSummers is offline Junior Member

That sounds good. Do they make the eye test at the AA office as well? Is the NZ license (normal vehicle) limited to a certain time frame or restricted? Nowadays, they only issue licenses in the US until the time your visa expires. Can you also apply for a license as tourist (I am a license collector, have already 3 :-) )

1happywoman is offline Senior Member
    Kawakawa, NZ, formerly Cincinnati, Ohio, USA
    Blog Entries

Yes, that is where I got my license processed - at the AA office in Hamilton. Mine is good for 10 years. I only had a 12 month work permit when I applied, and not permanent residence (yet) so your NZ license would probably be valid for 10 years, as well.
    Arrived in Auckland on August 6, 2008.Now live in Kawakawa with my kiwi partner.
    I just started working at Bay of Islands Hospital at the beginning of December 2009.
    Work permit renewed and good until June 2010
    EOI submitted and selected, case manager assigned and ITA received. PR application submitted 28/08/09
    approved in principle 26/01/10, PR granted and received 19/03/10

People Space is offline Senior Member

You do the eye test at the AA office, but if you have some vision conditions, such as one eye that sees a lot worse, you may need to go to an optometrist for a more thorough check, because the equipment at the AA is limited in what it tests, and for this test you will have to pay the optometrist.