Thread: Should I move to NZ?

KentuckyGirl is offline Junior Member

Default Should I move to NZ?

I currently live in the US. I have been offered what I believe is a pretty good job in Wellington. I want to take the job, but I am struggling with the idea of actually moving. I currently live where I have lived all my life, and this would be a huge move!

What do I need to consider?

steinbock is offline Member

This can hardly be a yes or no question. It depends whether you are satisfied where you are and what would you expect with the move. I would take the offer without hesitation but my friends mostly say I am crazy

And welcome here.

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

Hi KentuckyGirl, another welcome from me.

If you haven't lived away from home before, a move to NZ would be a real biggy for you as you won't have gauged already how you react to being apart from family, friends and familiar surroundings. Even if you have the job and the visa in place it is still a big deal to move such a distance away and it's something that can have a huge impact on some people who aren't properly prepared for the move.

Have you ever visited NZ before? If not, it might be a good idea to do searches on the Internet to find out all the information you can on the country, but particularly Wellington, and look at photographs to see what it looks like so it won't feel so alien to you when you arrive there. In this way there will be landmarks that you recognise and place names you have seen before so it won't all seem so strange. Study maps to see how the various suburbs are laid out and what the different areas are called. This will help you when you look for somewhere to live.

How well you would cope with being in a strange country and starting a whole new life for yourself would depend on your personality and how strong you are. Doing it on your own, without someone else by your side, is quite a courageous feat and you would need to have good people skills to enable you to make new friends, which would help you to settle. Loneliness can overwhelm some people at first until they find places to go to meet other people. Once you have a network of friends/work colleagues it will be a lot easier. Maybe just concentrate on your new job to begin with rather than trying to do too much too soon. Once your job is going well, you can relax and move on to sorting out a social life for yourself.

Although this could be quite a daunting move for you, it could also be considered a great adventure and, if you are up for it, you will feel a great sense of achievement and can give yourself a congratulatory pat on the back. There's no reason why you can't do it if you really want to.
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

People Space is offline Senior Member

Great advice from the MotherBear. Getting a real sense of what is involved and what life there really would be like means you can judge more realistically what you will get from the job and the place.
    Also, and I know this is hard to answer, because foresight is not exactly 20/20, ask yourself whether you would be likely to regret not doing it. A lot of opportunities go by in a lifetime, and we can't take them all up...
    Remember, if it doesn't work out you can go back home, having tried something really new, and having gained a set of experiences to go along with it.

Will taking this opportunity stop something else from happening?
    Or delay it?
    Or create other possibilities you hadn't considered?

Cliff is offline Oh Masterful One
    Blog Entries

Cool

KentuckyGirl

Do you want to grow as a person? Living overseas will change you but in a positive way. It doesn't have to be a one way trip and you can always come back to KenTuck.

I will share an old quote with you "the only person who makes no mistakes is a person who does nothing". It is a big decision and you need to do a lot of thinking. Will it help you in your profession long term. Our experiences shape who we are and as already stated this is a biggie.

New Zealand is a pretty safe place. The cops don't carry guns if that tells you anything. If you tell us more about yourself it might help others to comment. What is your age and what sort of job or work would us to more accurately comment.

Best of luck.

Cheers
    Cheers

Cliff

Nelson, New Zealand
    NZ Citizenship in 2000, been in NZ 15 years now
    Arrived NZ in 1997 from Las Vegas, Nevada, USA

"New Zealand isn't just a physical place it is a state of mind."

1happywoman is offline Senior Member
    Kawakawa, NZ, formerly Cincinnati, Ohio, USA
    Blog Entries

Go for it! Do you want to look back in a few years and wonder "what if"? If you always do what you always did, you'll always get what you always got! (I'm from Ohio and live in Kawakawa. Sitting here in Ohio counting the days until I get back "home". Came back for my mom's funeral and to clean out the house, and can't believe how "kiwi" I've become. Big grocery stores overwhelm me. People are in a hurry and just rude. My sister can't get over me inviting people in for a "cuppa", because I just start talking to anyone walking past the house, when I'm out in the yard.LOL! )

Wow - if you have a job offer you have a golden opportunity, one that so many people would give anything to have - don't waste it! You can always come back to the states if you don't like it.
    Arrived in Auckland on August 6, 2008.Now live in Kawakawa with my kiwi partner.
    I just started working at Bay of Islands Hospital at the beginning of December 2009.
    Work permit renewed and good until June 2010
    EOI submitted and selected, case manager assigned and ITA received. PR application submitted 28/08/09
    approved in principle 26/01/10, PR granted and received 19/03/10

KiwiAbroad is offline Junior Member

Quote Originally Posted by KentuckyGirl View Post
    I currently live in the US. I have been offered what I believe is a pretty good job in Wellington. I want to take the job, but I am struggling with the idea of actually moving. I currently live where I have lived all my life, and this would be a huge move!

What do I need to consider?
    How did you come by this job offer, did you go looking for it or did it find you?

Will you be getting any assistance with moving expenses and will your employer pay for you to return home if things don't work out?

Cliff is offline Oh Masterful One
    Blog Entries

Question

This thread was started in October of last year. Kentucky girl can you give us an update? Job offers do usually last for long. Is the offer still there, did you do anything?

Cheers

Cliff
    Cheers

Cliff

Nelson, New Zealand
    NZ Citizenship in 2000, been in NZ 15 years now
    Arrived NZ in 1997 from Las Vegas, Nevada, USA

"New Zealand isn't just a physical place it is a state of mind."