Thread: Please please help!

Husky is offline Junior Member

Default Please please help!

My mum who is a pensioner (72) is moving to New Zealand to be with her family. Her residency visa was submitted last December but is still in the system. All medicals were OK and she is fit and well. My mum has already shipped her personal effects. We have now been told by the shipping company that because she hasn't been granted her residency visa yet she will incur duty and GST on all her belongings. My mum advised the shipping company at the time that she didn't have a visa and that her residency permit was in process. I know mum will struggle to raise funds for duty and GST (She has a small pension from the UK). I don't think the residency visa will come through before her shipment arrives. If we had known earlier we would have put her effects into storage in the UK while awaiting residency. This is terrible; my mum lost her husband recently and has been through so much packing up her home, to be near her family. We certainly didn't expect this. Has anyone been in a similar situation or can offer any sort of help/advice it would be much appreciated!

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

It might be worth speaking to the NZ end of the shipping company to let them know that her PR is in the pipeline. I know of someone (albeit a few years ago) whose residency hadn't come through and I think she paid some kind of bond, but could claim it back when the PR materialised. I believe some evidence of 'intended residence' would be required because the custom's site says 'you are coming to New Zealand with the intention of taking up permanent residence', so that might be her loophole. If she has to pay a bond, of course, that means finding the money to pay it in the first place, but it might not be so critical if your mum knows she's going to get it back. Unfortunately, I believe the waiting time for applications under the Family (Parent) Category can take up to 2 years now before they are even looked at, so that's quite a long wait and might have some adverse affect on her chances of avoiding GST.

An alternative would be for her to put her shipment into storage in NZ until her residency appears, but that, again, would cost.
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

Husky is offline Junior Member

Thanks for your reply MotherBear I will contact the shipping company in NZ again and will post the outcome.