Thread: International Driving License. Kiwi driving test?

tallullu is offline Junior Member

Question International Driving License. Kiwi driving test?

Anyone have any experience with what is invloved in getting your driving license changed to an international one?

I know that you can be granted an IDL for up to a maximum of 12 months. After that you would have to apply for a full New Zealand driving license. This would involve sitting a theory and practical exam.

Although I have lived in NZ before, I could not drive at the time so didn't pick up any particular differences in the driving laws from that of the UK.

Just wondering if it is pretty much the same and if the practical exam is difficult.

Thanks

zummerzet_lou is offline your flexible friend
    Blog Entries

You can drive for upto 12 months on your UK license.

To convert a UK into a NZ license, it's now simply a case of visiting the AA shop, fill in a form, show your ID and pass an eye test. Oh, and pay some money .. about $40ish I think?
    EOI Submitted 8th July 2007, 140 points no job offer.
    EOI Selected 18th July 2007
    ITA pack received 12th Oct 2007
    Completed ITA posted to NZIS 26th November 2007
    Case Officer assigned approx 22nd Feb 2008
    Immigration interview 7th May 2008
    PR AIP 10th May 2008
    Arrived in NZ, August 13th

Check out our website -> http://the-clarks.freehostia.com/

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

It used to be that you would have to sit a test after the 12 months on your own country's driving licence, but that was scrapped around Sept. last year .

Converting to a New Zealand driver licence

If you have an international driver licence but want to drive for longer than one year in New Zealand, you must convert to a New Zealand driver licence. You should apply early to make sure you have a new licence before you have been in New Zealand for 12 months.

Application forms are available from driver licensing agents or contact Land Transport NZ's Driver Licensing Call Centre on 0800 822 422.

You will need to pass a theory test to make sure you have a good knowledge of the road rules and you may have to pass a practical driving test. This test is the same as the full licence practical test.

Some countries require similar driving skills and have similar licensing systems to New Zealand. Because of this, you don't have to sit the practical test if:

you have a driver licence from Australia, Austria, Belgium, Canada, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Ireland, Italy, Luxembourg, the Netherlands, Norway, Portugal, South Africa, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, the United Kingdom or the United States of America, and
    your licence is current (or has expired within the past 12 months), and
    you've held that licence for more than two years
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

1happywoman is offline Senior Member
    Kawakawa, NZ, formerly Cincinnati, Ohio, USA
    Blog Entries

I recently got around to changing my Ohio driver's license (USA) to a New Zealand license. Simply went to an AA office, filled out a form, paid about $40 and my license came in the mail less than two weeks later. No testing of any kind necessary (other than the little vision test they do right there.)
    Arrived in Auckland on August 6, 2008.Now live in Kawakawa with my kiwi partner.
    I just started working at Bay of Islands Hospital at the beginning of December 2009.
    Work permit renewed and good until June 2010
    EOI submitted and selected, case manager assigned and ITA received. PR application submitted 28/08/09
    approved in principle 26/01/10, PR granted and received 19/03/10