Thread: What the dickens was I thinking? This moving business is maddening! HELP Please!

ConniePrags is offline Junior Member

Talking What the dickens was I thinking? This moving business is maddening! HELP Please!

Hello. I thought this section of the forum was another good bet for some of the questions I have, so I've repasted my thread here.

I introduced myself in the introduce yourself section of this forum; the short version is I'm moving to New Zealand. Whangarei to be exact, to work in the hospital there. I am waiting for my registration with the NZ medical council to come through. I have been advised not to book flights etc, until that's done, so I'm waiting. I wonder if anyone here has been in my shoes and did you wait or go ahead and book everything. The trouble is the agency looking after me said it could take anywhere from 3 -10 wks to sort out, although I should get registered with no real problem. But I start work early June this year, and I would love to be in NZ by mid May.

Also I need some direction on rental agencies and where to stay in/ around Whangarei. I would like a apartment on the coast if possible, I suspect it will be more expensive, but I would love to live near the beach at least for awhile. I hope to send my things by ship about a month ahead of my departure (so about mid-April), and I plan to have a full pack/unpack service ( cos I hate packing!) so an unfurnished place would be fine. Perhaps I could rent a few pieces of essential furniture for a short time? What about electricals and my TV. Are they more expensive than buying one here? I have a mid-size CRT TV which I'm not planning on bringing with me. Is it more economical to buy a flatscreen here and ship it with the rest of my stuff, or when I get there?

I am really looking forward to my move, but the more I think about it the more nervous I get. And the more questions I seem to have! Like what's working life going to be like as a medic in NZ? And what's the area like... the official sites all sound great, but what's the real story?

Goodness , I have been going on. I really hope there are people with handy hints and answers to my questions out there, and they stop to leave me a little note. Ta very much in advance.

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ConniePrags View Post
    Also I need some direction on rental agencies and where to stay in/ around Whangarei.
    If you look on here under Real Estate and then Rentals, you'll find a list of property agents although, even if you dig through the To Buy ones, you'll still probably find rentals under most of the agencies if you hunt for the Rentals heading. If you search for Whangerei it should come up with something for you.

Some sites are only relative to one particular area but others cover a wider region. A link or two may be defunct if the website has been revamped since I compiled the list so, if you can't get any to work, let me know and I'll try to search the new link out.

We recently had a thread about medics/paramedics in NZ if you can ferret it out although I'm not sure if it would have any useful info for you.
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

ConniePrags is offline Junior Member

Smile

Thanks again Mother Bear. You're very kind to take the time to answer. Connie x