Thread: Resonable salary offer?

jnamba is offline Junior Member

Default Resonable salary offer?

Hello,
    Our family (of 5 - 3 small kids) is considering a move to the Kapiti Coast (outside of Wellington) and we are considering a job with a salary of $50,000NZD. Part of our compensation includes housing and some food and utilities, so those costs would not come out of the $50,000. Does this sound like a reasonable amount to live on for the area? Also, I can't seem to get an accurate picture of relocating costs. We would be coming from the West Coast (US) and can't decide if it would be better to ship our stuff from our apartment or buy used stuff out there. Including flights for 5 people and a 20foot container, what can we expect to pay for the big move? Any advice in this area would be extremely helpful. Thanks!
    JNamba

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

JNamba. Welcome.

Normally NZ$50,000 would be a mediocre sort of wage, especially in these days of high cost of living, but if you are getting a complete salary package which includes rent and utilities, that throws a different light on the matter and will save you a lot of money.

Are you intending to stay permanently in NZ? I ask because having a salary package usually implies you are under contract to a company in another country for a specific time. I was just thinking that shipping your belongings to NZ for only a few years and then shipping them home again would be very costly. If you do intend staying then you need to decide whether your stuff is worth taking to NZ i.e. whether it will need replacing in a few years anyway. Also it depends how much it means to you. I'm assuming the NZ company wouldn't be providing furnished accommodation? Shipping isn't cheap, but, if you are considering it, you could always ask a few shipping companies for a quotation so you know what you're up against.
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

Cliff is offline Oh Masterful One
    Blog Entries

I lived in Kapiti for 11 years. Nice area and good weather! Where exactly in Kapiti?
    Cheers

Cliff

Nelson, New Zealand
    NZ Citizenship in 2000, been in NZ 15 years now
    Arrived NZ in 1997 from Las Vegas, Nevada, USA

"New Zealand isn't just a physical place it is a state of mind."

Default Waikanae

Hey Cliff,

The city is Waikanae. Any good advice on this area would be so much appreciated!!

Thanks, Mother Bear, for the advice. I still just can't get a solid feel for whether or not we will be able to live on $50,000NZD. My concern is also that we'd be able to save a bit to travel back to the States every couple of years. But since we won't be paying for housing and will have some utilities and food taken care of, it seems like a modest (but doable) living.

Happy for any good advice out there!!

Cliff is offline Oh Masterful One
    Blog Entries

Waikanae

Nice area. There is a lot of older population in the area. You would likely drive to paraparaumu to do you shopping at pak-n-save at coastlands mall. The weather is good. Out of the big city in wellington. Lots of things to do if you like the outdoors. The train from Wellington only goes to Paraparaumu but there are plans to extend it to Waikenae. You can drive to a few K to Otaki to get fresh produce.

50K including housing is a maybe enough. Will you still pay for your power? I assume which is not cheap in NZ. Look for travel to THE USA and such places as very expensive in the future. Oil prices will rise way beyond what they are now.

What is there an area of Waikanae you will be located?

Cliff
    Cheers

Cliff

Nelson, New Zealand
    NZ Citizenship in 2000, been in NZ 15 years now
    Arrived NZ in 1997 from Las Vegas, Nevada, USA

"New Zealand isn't just a physical place it is a state of mind."

rasin is offline Member

At least the portion of housing subsidise is not taxable for your case? Heard that tax could be quite high but not sure of the actual rate though.

Default housing tax

I don't know how the housing tax would work at all. I think the company adds $5000 to our annual salary but takes it out over the course of the year for housing - so we would be taxed on $5000 (making our taxable income $55,000 instead of $50,000). With the added benefits of some utilities and food included in the salary package, I am stil trying to figure out if $50,000 is reasonable for a family of 5.