Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Do I take the dogs or not??

alphazimbo is offline Junior Member

Unhappy Do I take the dogs or not??

Hi all!

After looking over all the MAF requirements for bringing dogs into the country I am beginning to wonder if it is worth it not only financially but also as far as the dogs' well being goes. I am moving to NZ from America (Texas) and have two dogs that I love and adore. I'm a firm believer that a pet is not a disposable object and you take an oath to love them, care for them, and do all the things for them that they can't do for themselves.... So, I ask this with a heavy heart - should I or shouldn't I? If any of you have experience not taking (or taking) your dogs with you from the US please give me some input.

Thank you!

Tanya Short

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

Hi Tanya and .

I think this topic can be quite agonising for a lot of people with either cats or dogs. I believe the decision about whether to take them or not comes down to several factors i.e. how old they are and whether they will endure the journey without ill effect, whether you are prepared for the huge cost of shipping them and how attached you are to them.

Many people have shipped their pets to NZ and have found it well worth the effort and expense. Some even seem to think their pets have a better quality of life in NZ. In the end, I guess it's down to you and how you feel about going through the process. It is a lengthy procedure with all the blood/stool tests etc. and you need to start well in advance of your/their departure.

If you do decide to take them and are renting a house in NZ rather than buying, it might be a good idea to research accommodation because not that many landlords allow pets, especially dogs.

I hope some folks who have taken their dogs to NZ will respond with some positive information for you. It is a difficult decision and one that shouldn't be taken lightly as it could lead to regrets either way. Good luck.
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

TeznBex is offline Junior Member
    Blog Entries

What a situation.

We have 2 dogs, an 5 yr old spaniel with hip dysplasia, and an 8 month old belgian shepherd.

Iv no qualms about taking chopper, the shepherd puppy as he is a hardy little thing and takes most things in his stride, However Mollie my spaniel is timid due to a situation that occured when she was a pup.

I always said, if i go, Mo comes too, however the more i think about it the more i am thinking its not good for her, she will be in a box for 24 hrs at least, without me there to comfort her, with her hips getting stiff and sore.

I always promised to love her, and that i would never leave her, but i only want the best for her.

You and only you can weigh up the pros and cons. Is the dog confident? How do you think he would react if you came across turbulence? With a timid dog, it may shake their confidence to such an extent they never recover.

as motherbear said, only you can decide.

Hope you make it xxx
    Tez has job offer!! - 20th July, 2008

EOI submitted - 2nd September, 2008

Ita Issued - 24th September, 2008!

Cliff is offline Oh Masterful One
    Blog Entries

Just informational to dog owners. If you dog bites someone they will be put down, even if by accident. No real exceptions. That one isn't in the handbooks.

If your dog bites you don't report it or it's bye bye.

Not that your dog is a biter but it is something every dog owner should be aware of.
    Cheers

Cliff

Nelson, New Zealand
    NZ Citizenship in 2000, been in NZ 15 years now
    Arrived NZ in 1997 from Las Vegas, Nevada, USA

"New Zealand isn't just a physical place it is a state of mind."

skuttle7 is offline Junior Member

Quote Originally Posted by alphazimbo View Post
    Hi all!

After looking over all the MAF requirements for bringing dogs into the country I am beginning to wonder if it is worth it not only financially but also as far as the dogs' well being goes. I am moving to NZ from America (Texas) and have two dogs that I love and adore. I'm a firm believer that a pet is not a disposable object and you take an oath to love them, care for them, and do all the things for them that they can't do for themselves.... So, I ask this with a heavy heart - should I or shouldn't I? If any of you have experience not taking (or taking) your dogs with you from the US please give me some input.

Thank you!

Tanya Short
    Hi Tanya,
    we too will be in the same situation as you regarding our two dogs, both male retrievers one who is 3 and the other who is nearly 1, both brothers, we have looked into bringing them with us, as it would be heartbreaking to leave them, not to mention the kids never forgiving us if we don't, we spoke to our vet who said their age and health are all for them, and wouldn't think twice about giving permission for them to travell,, As far as expence is concerned its going to cost us so much as a family of 5 to relocate whats a bit more for the dogs, however saying that if one of them was elderly for his sake i would have to consider leaving him behind with a family member where i know he will be loved and cared for, and still be informed on hows hes doing, good luck with your plans

TimeaNZbound is offline Junior Member

Quote Originally Posted by alphazimbo View Post
    Hi all!

Thank you!

Tanya Short

Hi Tanya,

I'm from Texas too...I'm going with 2 dogs next month. I firmly believe in taking them, but that's just me. If your doggies are healthy and fairly young, they should be fine. The cost is very outrageous on the other hand. I'm using IPTLAX in LA to ship my dogs, and with vet costs, shipping and quarantine, the total cost will be close to $5000.

So, if you feel your doggies are worth that, by all means go for it. I have chihuahuas and I feel they would suffer more to be given away than have the inconvenience of air travel and quarantine for a month.

What part of TX are you from and where are you headed? I'm from Austin and plan to settle in Queenstown.
    01-04-08 Found sponsoring employer
    29-05-08 Purchased plane tickets for Oct. 15th
    02-09-08 Received job offer
    03-09-08 Applied for temp work visa-Essential Skills
    09-09-08 Received work visa (Blue Sticker)

15-10-08 Plane leaves to NZ

shrubby is offline Junior Member

Hi Tanya,
    I intend bringing both my dogs when we come, I could not be parted from them nor could the kids. It is a horrible thought them being stuck in a plane for so long but my sister flew 3 dogs to Oz (one a great dane) and they all arrived in perfect health with no probs at all. One of hers was a very nervous rescue dog and she was fine.
    I have a 2 1/2 year old Doberman and an 18 month old Springer Spaniel :)

Duke is offline Senior Member

I havent had any experience w/ this yet but this forum has offered great help. We do intend bringing our little Lily over w/ us and it seems to be a very pricey decision, but I think its money well spent(unless family will consider, not likely in our situation). Like you say, thier part of the family.
    The quarantines in NZ seem to be respectable(thier website, at least) and it is for 30 days which is a long time. I do think you can visit them, and anyway youll be so excited to see the countryside and explore your options in NZ, consider it to be a safe house for you dogs while you venture and create your new life. NZ also requires a chip 134.2 kHz and rabies tests. If you decide to take them please share your experience on obtaining this chip, I havent yet talked to the vet about it but I would like to know a bit more.
    Air NZ pet passport has some info on transporting your pets, they seem to care.
    I know it sounds cruel, but I plan to sedate little Lily before the flight, hell, we do that now w/ childrens benadryl. Out like a light,,snores galore, we do it mainly for her anal sacks..lol
    Good Luck

keeweegal is offline Kosher Kiwi
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Duke View Post
    NZ also requires a chip 134.2 kHz and rabies tests. If you decide to take them please share your experience on obtaining this chip, I havent yet talked to the vet about it but I would like to know a bit more.
    Hi Duke

We have our 2 westies chipped - what was it you wanted to know? Very simple process, I would liken to having your ear pierced. Both of ours yelped when it went in & were perfectly fine after that. Not sure if that's what you were asking or how you go about having it done in the States.

I know it sounds cruel, but I plan to sedate little Lily before the flight, hell, we do that now w/ childrens benadryl. Out like a light,,snores galore, we do it mainly for her anal sacks..lol
    Re sedation, I would check with the vet as I have been advised by all the pet shippers I've spoken to not to sedate them as the pressure in the hold is already low.

HTH
    KG
    Inside me is a skinny woman crying to get out but I can usually shut her up with cake!

nickydwuk is offline God like figure
    Blog Entries

Good Luck
    I don't think any reputable pet shipper will allow any dog to be sedated and I think the vet checking would object. Ours have advised us that it is not necessary and the dogs seem to travel well. We'll know soon enough!!
    Nursing Registration sent 5th August 2007
    Job Offer 25th September 2007
    Nursing Registration received 28th December 2007
    Submitted EOI 3rd January 2008 with 150 points
    Selected 17th January 2008
    ITA Received 31st January 2008
    ITA submitted 25th April 2008
    Approved in Principle 3rd May 2008
    Blue Stickers arrived 13th May 2008
    Flights booked for 19th Sept to Christchurch

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast