Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The nerves are kicking in ...

zummerzet_lou is offline your flexible friend
    Blog Entries

Default The nerves are kicking in ...

I'm hoping someone can send some calming words.

We have spent the last year talking the talk ... getting our NZ PR, selling our house and packing up all our worldly goods.

We fly next week Monday 11th August.

I can't sleep now .. have constant butterflies and am hating the "goodbyes". I'm not changing my mind, as I truly think this is the right move for us, but how did you cope with your last UK week?

Lou
    EOI Submitted 8th July 2007, 140 points no job offer.
    EOI Selected 18th July 2007
    ITA pack received 12th Oct 2007
    Completed ITA posted to NZIS 26th November 2007
    Case Officer assigned approx 22nd Feb 2008
    Immigration interview 7th May 2008
    PR AIP 10th May 2008
    Arrived in NZ, August 13th

Check out our website -> http://the-clarks.freehostia.com/

DizzyF is offline Member

Hi Lou

We are still in UK and leave in 13 weeks, so not able to help with last week nerves but I guess the best way to think is that there will be days you love your new life and days you don't (same if you stayed here) but if you never took the plunge you would always wonder what life in NZ would be like. Better to experience life than to sit on the sidelines afraid to take a risk!

Good luck!

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

Lou, have you ever tried Rescue in a little bottle in a yellow box from the chemist? It's a natural remedy for nerves and works very subtly. It doesn't knock you out or anything but just takes the edge of the nerves and nips the wings off those butterflies. Just a couple of drops on the tongue and it tastes a bit like brandy. Not the cheapest stuff around, but I usually keep some nearby, just in case. I used it before my operation and managed to get a good night's sleep despite all my flutterbies. You need your sleep or you'll be wrecked by the time you get to NZ and that's not the best way to start off a new life.

You probably feel like you're about to step off a clifftop with nothing underneath you. As we always say on here 'This is quite normal for such a life-changing situation'. All I can say is that you take a deep breath and tell yourself you're going to go through with this and there's no more use in fretting about it. Don't look behind you at what you're leaving -it will still be there if you ever decide to come back - just look forward to the adventures ahead.

It's all a bit of a blank canvas at the moment because you don't know where you're going or what you're doing, but things will fall into place once you get into the stride of NZ living. It must be like free-falling as you don't know where you'll land or what you'll find when you land. You have friends in NZ already and they will be at the end of a phone if you need them. Just watch out for that Hamilton lot. They're a funny bunch .

You can be sure many other people have felt the same as you and they've managed to get through it. Don't try to plan too far ahead - that would be an impossible task as your new life will take its own shape as you make your way through it. At least you have Jon and the kids at your side, whereas some folks do this completely on their own and without support. You know you have to do this, as you'll always be wondering if you don't and probably quite annoyed at yourself for caving in. The only thing to do is take that deep breath and push forward without looking back at what might be if you stayed behind. Goodbyes, proper goodbyes, that is, are rarely easy but, as they say 'You can't make an omelet without breaking eggs'.

Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

Banjo.Jon is offline Finger Picking Good!!!

I'm taking the view on "goodbyes" as being more of a "see you later"! OK, it will be a lot later (like several years) but it's not a full on "goodbye - ill never see you again". Having kids we are bound to come back for holidays and it's during that time we can catch up with all our friends. Besides, my parents and sister are coming out next year, Lu's dad the following year and about half my local in 2011 to see the Rugby World Cup!
    Landed in NZ, 13th August 2008

Web http://the-clarks.freehostia.com/

Meadow is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

Hi you wouldnt be normal if you werent having doubts or fears
    I used to get them every house move,never mind a whole new country,and considering we had never even been abroad.
    Both of us had only been on a plane 40 mins tops,before we decided to go and have a 30 hour flight
    And even that wasnt as bad as we imagined,as our then 6 yrold struggles half hour in car,he was smashing on the flight,so proud of him
    The see you laters are much easier.Goodbye does sound so final,but the thing is,it is for a very long time,so you can only kid yourself for so long.
    We had a couple nights out with family etc.
    loads tears and promises to keep in touch.
    All the 'oh how i wish we had been in touch more,before you went and done this'
    And most said they didnt think we were serious,even after we sold the house and moved in with my parents
    And now we are here,the emails have practicaly ceased altogether
    Not from immediate family ,mind you
    But from the aunties,brothers,sisters,cousins,nieces etc The ones who were so broken hearted
    I think at the begining though i bored them senseless,by sending them pics of everything
    But hey they did ask me too,before i left
    Im not saying every family is the same,but just going with what happened to us,it is a case of out of sight,out of mind,but the way we were with most of them,we didnt see to much of them while in Glasgow anyway.
    And we also had serious nerves as i was carrying bank statements,birth certs etc all on visitors visa. Risky i know
    Having heard that customs can send you back if they think your looking to staying
    At least yous can travel knowing your new life is waiting,all the paperwork etc is done and dusted
    We were going wondering,and still are,are we gonna be able to stay
    So try not let the nerves get to you too much,cause we havent regretted a single thing,and you will definetly regret not giving it a go.
    Good luck to yous,im sure you will be fine
    Meadow

Landed in New Zealand 29th jan 2008
    Colin got job offer 21st feb
    Work Permit applied for 3rd march
    Colins work permit received friday 2nd may 2008
    Dated till jan 2010
    My work permit applied for 7th may 2008
    My work permit received 27th may 2008
    Dated till jan 2010

Arrived back in Scotland 21st July 2009

Welshgirl is offline Super Moderator
    Blog Entries

Hey Lou,

A few good reasons to come:

a) Your car is here waiting for you
    b) Summer is on it's way
    c) Dawn is here

Seriously though, I can sympathise with you, having left all my family behind (including my 3 sons ) who I was particularly close to.

I can only reiterate what others have said, in that at least, no matter where you end up, you will never be wondering 'what if'..... Fortune favours the brave as they say

Don't say goodbye to everyone you care for, say Au Revoir - and think of the lovely holiday home you'll be providing when they come to visit

It really is a small world and staying in touch is so easy, albeit not the same as being there in person, but just remember why you are doing it and be brave Nerves are not necessarily a bad thing, just don't let them get the better of you. The fact that you are sad about leaving important people behind just shows that you care. Make the most of your time with those who matter and look forward to your new future.

P.S. Looking forward to seeing you again

P.P.S. Where are you planning on putting all your visitors for the World Cup, Jon? Does Lou know about these impending visitors?

zummerzet_lou is offline your flexible friend
    Blog Entries

Don't worry guys .. it's not second thoughts .. purely nerves. Spent far too much money to change my mind now

Yep - defo looking forward to catching up with you guys .. Taffy has sent us some piccies and am really pleased with the car.

and I certainly know now about all these rugby visitors .. where's Jon gone

Lou
    EOI Submitted 8th July 2007, 140 points no job offer.
    EOI Selected 18th July 2007
    ITA pack received 12th Oct 2007
    Completed ITA posted to NZIS 26th November 2007
    Case Officer assigned approx 22nd Feb 2008
    Immigration interview 7th May 2008
    PR AIP 10th May 2008
    Arrived in NZ, August 13th

Check out our website -> http://the-clarks.freehostia.com/

Banjo.Jon is offline Finger Picking Good!!!

I will worry about the world cup visitors when/if they all come over!

I'm liking the new car.

It's strange to think this time next week we will still be on the plane (providing they have not thrown us off for the kids bad behavior)

Do they sell "pro plus" in NZ? I get the feeling I may be needing some.
    Landed in NZ, 13th August 2008

Web http://the-clarks.freehostia.com/

ebianca is offline Gingery, Peppery & Spicy
    Blog Entries

Can't beleive how quick it has come around for oyu guys.

I;m sure the kids will be fine on the flight- they cope better than you think.

The nerves are to be expected but i'm sure they will turn to excitment once the goodbyes are over with and you are on that plane on your way to NZ. And the feeling when you land at Auckland will be fantastic- I had a happy tear in my eye as we were getting off the plane that all the hard work and worrying had finally come together.

How long will you guys be in Welli?
    Flights booked for 24th March 2008!
    Landed in Wellington 26th March 2008!!

Job Offer Received 9th July 2008!

Temp Work Permit application submitted 11th July 2008!
    Temp Work Permit approved 4th August 2008!

EOI Submitted 11th July 2008!
    EOI Selected 16th July 2008!
    EOI 'Successful' 1st August 2008!
    ITA Received 8th August 2008!
    ITA Aplication accepted 26th September!

APROVED in Principle 10th June 2009!!!!
    Residency Visa issued 7th July 2009!!!!!

Welshgirl is offline Super Moderator
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by zummerzet_lou View Post
    Taffy has sent us some piccies
    Has he? I didn't even know we were sorting a car out for you until he made me go and pick it up with him yesterday

Jon - I didn't know what Pro Plus was so I googled it - it came up with penis enlargement pills and fatigue relief pills, so I'm guessing it's the latter you'll be wanting?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast