Thread: Question about Moving a Car

mountainlake is offline Junior Member

Question Question about Moving a Car

We are moving to Auckland from Florida in January. My new employer is paying for a 40 ft shipping container. We don't need all that space, so I was thinking that we might move our car in it also. We have a 2001 Volvo station wagon that is paid off and is in great shape - runs great and is very safe. We'd love to take it with us since we couldn't sell it for very much here.

What do you think of the idea? I had read on the forum that shipping in a container is a bad idea. Why is that? Also, since we are in the states, the steering wheel will be on the wrong side. Can we get car insurance in NZ like this? Is it safe to drive like that?

Or should we just try to sell it for whatever we can get, and put it toward a used, unknown vehicle in NZ?

Thanks for any advice you can give!

Cliff is offline Oh Masterful One
    Blog Entries

You can do it but not recommended. Insurance will not be an issue but the steering wheel on the other side would not be in you our best interest. It will likely confuse you or make you have an accident. Euro cars are here but more expensive and if you need parts you will pay more.

There are some new rules about left hand drive cars but can't remember what they are. Maybe someone else can comment on that one.

Take alook at rtademe.co.nz at cars and see what you think. Japanese cars are what aer most popular but you can find anything there. New Zealand is the biggest importer of used Japanese cars.

a 40ft container is big so you can move a lot of stuff. Worst care you can maybe move it over and sell it to get a right hand drive car.

Don't underestimate the difficulty of driving on the other side of the road when you first get here. The issue is your reflexes are backwards in a panic so you will head in the wrong direction by habit. You also also subconsciously look on the wrong lane even when you look in the right direction for traffic.

It isn't hard but it is that trained reflex action that will difficult to retrain especially on a parking lot where there are no lines. You will have those American moments during your initial driving here. also if you are driving in Auckland they drive a little more aggressive there so aren't as tolerant on mistakes.
    Cheers

Cliff

Nelson, New Zealand
    NZ Citizenship in 2000, been in NZ 15 years now
    Arrived NZ in 1997 from Las Vegas, Nevada, USA

"New Zealand isn't just a physical place it is a state of mind."

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

You can read about importing left-hand drive vehicles here.

I'm not quite sure whether you mean that shipping a car in a container is a bad idea or if you were referring to all your stuff. For household items, I don't think it's that shipping a container is a bad idea, more that it can be very expensive and, occasionally, things can go wrong like stuff getting damaged or mouldy during the long sea voyage. If your furniture and other household effects are past their best and would need replacing within a year or two, it can be an idea to sell up and invest in new when you get to NZ. Not much point paying out a whole heap of money just to use the stuff for a short while when you can save the shipping money and use it to buy new items. If your belongings are in good order and you're happy with keeping them, then a container seems to be the best way to go. I can't comment on shipping a car though. I'll leave that to someone else .
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

kokopeli is offline God like figure

Hi ML,

You need to read through the factsheets about importing vehicles on the LTNZ website here - Factsheet 12 - Importing a left-hand drive vehicle

There aren't too many LHD cars around in NZ (the ones you see are mainly older Yankie custom jobs), but the way I read it, you should be ok to bring the Volvo.

If you decide to bring the car, the first step will be to obtain a Statement of Compliance to prove that the car meets NZ road transport specifications. You must get the statement from the manufacturer, so you'll need to find someone with a job title like Homogenisation Officer at Volvo Head Office. Your local Volvo dealer won't be able to help with this because (a) local dealers don't often export to NZ and (b) the dealer didn't manufacture the car so isn't qualified to issue the statement.

We brought a campervan to NZ from the UK. I got a Statement of Compliance from Fiat without any charge, although it took a few calls before I got through to the right person. I would like to think Volvo will do it for free, but wouldn't bet on it. Whatever you do, get the Statement before the car leaves the US.

The import process isn't too difficult providing you do your homework and speak to the right people before the car arrives in NZ. Give me a shout if you go ahead and I'll dig out my files.......

mountainlake is offline Junior Member

Thank you very much everyone for your advice!

Quote Originally Posted by MotherBear View Post

I'm not quite sure whether you mean that shipping a car in a container is a bad idea or if you were referring to all your stuff.
    I did mean shipping the car. We are going to ship our personal items in a container because my employer pays for it. I had heard that everything is so expensive in NZ, it's much better to bring it over from home - even simple items such as dish clothes. Don't know how much of an exaggeration that is though!

Thanks again very much!

Cliff is offline Oh Masterful One
    Blog Entries

You are right that most things are more expensive here. Quality is often good but none the less expensive.
    Cheers

Cliff

Nelson, New Zealand
    NZ Citizenship in 2000, been in NZ 15 years now
    Arrived NZ in 1997 from Las Vegas, Nevada, USA

"New Zealand isn't just a physical place it is a state of mind."

DizzyF is offline Member

Check out car prices online at autotrader.co.nz.....this will help you to decide if it is worthwhile....we are selling our two cars as the secondhand car market is not too pricey compared with UK...prices are dropping at the moment too

kokopeli is offline God like figure

Just another thought....

If you import a left hand drive car for private use, you're not allowed to pass it on, sell it or trade it in for another model for five years after it arrives in New Zealand.

While your Volvo might be running well now, are you sure that it will keep rolling without any problems for another five years? Or that you'd want to keep it that long?

I know that Volvos are reasonably sound (except the one we had where the driver's door fell off!) but........there's a big difference between a car that's eight years old and one that's thirteen.