Thread: Watch the local moving contractors.

uniflyboy is offline Member
    Campbelltown near Sydney abou to move to Hamilton NZ

Default Watch the local moving contractors.

I moved from Australia to new Zealand and I contracted for the move an Australian company that has a partner in New Zealand. We were quoted and paid a "through = dood to door service" including customs and quarantine clearance.

After we arrived in New Zealand the NZ moving partner suddently wanted us to pay $ 540 quarantine inspection fees and, if they can't deliver the furniture immediately, a $ 640 once off handling fee and $ 13.55 per day storage. They wanted to organise the quarantine even in our house.

The funny thing was that, after I contacted the Australian partner with whom I have the contract, the NZ mover suddenly stated they will not charge the quarantine inspection fee and wave the $ 640 store handling fees.

Watch out! Soe NZ movers try to cheat you - they think they get away with it becasue you don't know what to do and you stay in NZ anyway. In my case I came to NZ to do a job meaning that they don't want to lose my business. Scondly I am working in an environment where I could give them future business.

Tough luck for the NZ mover, they got the wrong guy this time. Immigrants, watch out. Question any charge with vifor.

Mike

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

Oh dear, they are still at it then. I was hoping they would have been kicked into touch by now. This sort of thing has been going on for years and everyone complains about it, but nothing is ever done.

Best advice would be to stitch everything up tight with the shipping company in your home country so that you have answers and paperwork ready when you come up against this type of 'legal' robbery at the NZ end.

Glad you came out of it on the right side, Mike.
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

kokopeli is offline God like figure

Which company was it Mike? I've already placed my bet......

Default Watch the local moving contractor.

The contractor this time made a mistake. I am not a migrant (one time user) but a contractor and I am in a position to recommend for or against a mover because my employer contracts a lot of people.

Mind you, I found that there seems to be a culture of trying to change business terms AFTER an agreement was reached and before the final contract is signed. I told two real estate agents to "jump in the lake" after we reached an ahreement but just before signing contracts they said "everything is ok but surely you won't mind if the conditions will be..."" I told them that I will mind and told them what they can do with their contract and their house.

It really seems to be" buyer beware".

I have to be careful naming the moving company because they could successfully take legal action against me.

Cheers
    Mike

mountainlake is offline Junior Member

Mike, what does "question any charge with vifor" mean? Is vifor a regulating agency?

I wish there was some way you could tell us the NZ moving company! We are going to move next year and I'd love to avoid this company!

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

The main movers at the NZ end that I've heard comments about are The Moving Company and NZ Van Lines. I haven't had any personal experience yet, but look forward to this with some trepidation.
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

Funny, Mother Bear, the fellows I have problem with is THE MOVING COMPANY. They are the contractors of my Sydney moving company.

The person I am talking with is a woman who, in my view, doesn't know what she is doing. Furthermore I have the impression that the girl, named Allison, is not too hot with English. When she writes email she makes horrible spelling and grammar mistakes. I just can't work out what she is talking or writing about and I am sure she does not understand what I am asking.

I almost have the impression that it is a one or two person operation just "managing" things = contracting customs agents, contracting cartage contractors....

I wonder... in Australia I have seen these things ONLY from people of Chinese extraction.

Vifor was a spelling mistake!

In any case, she tried and it didn't work with us. Bugger them...

Cheers

nesw is offline Junior Member

We are about to move from the Blue Mountains to the West Coast NI, and I have had 4 removalists in to do a formal measure, and 2 on line quotes.

The cheapest one who offered to undercut everyone else of course has gone broke, and fortunately there is a lot of info about them if you choose to google names (which i recommend).

However in my experience with the NZ charges, I found not every removalist rep' was forthcoming either with the info, and it wasn't until Rep no. 4 came that I finally felt comfortable with the info given.

We decided on Chess for our relocation and I will let you know how that goes. However its my understanding that some Companies "say" they have branches in NZ, have staff in uniforms etc however Staff are sub contractors who also subbie to other removalists.

Another thing to watch for in charges is that if you are heading as we are to a rural area with your belongings, MAF needs your belongings to be taken to a bonding (ed?) warehouse for possible inspection, some of the removalists we had quote charge extra for this service, in addition to the standard MAF fees.
    In our case Chess offered their fee door to door knowing we are rural, although MAF inspection fees are in addition which we are well aware of.