Thread: parcels?

Default parcels?

hi everybody,

I will move to NZ in september. I will just have one 20 kg suitcase with me but I also would like to send one or two parcels to NZ (each 5 kg, with shoes and some clothes maybe).
    If I do it by post so 5kg cost 44 Euro (88 NZ Dollar).
    Does anybody know a cheaper possibility?
    I also asked cargo companies but they are all more expensive than the post office.

Thanks, ANita

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

There are quite a few handlers that deal with smaller amounts of baggage but they all seem to be in the UK. Do you have a business phone book where you can look up the title 'Excess Baggage' in? You may be able to find some that deal exclusively with small shipments from Austria.
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

selchie is offline All Knowing Deity
    Blog Entries

Have you compared that with excess baggage fees? I'm not sure what's going on with that nowadays.
    If men had wings and bore black feathers, few of them would be clever enough to be crows.
    - Rev. Henry Ward Beecher, mid-1800s

Cliff is offline Oh Masterful One
    Blog Entries

Anita

Is that for ground or air? Ground may take 8 weeks from Europe but you may not be in a hurry for them anyway. Sometime this is the cheapest way to ship things to another country and you can insure them also.

It is easy, just pack and ship. Hopefully you have a friend or address and you can ship them to in NZ before you leave for NZ and the boxes will be here when or soon after you arrive. You will be very busy just before you leave so to get a few things out of the way now may simplify things later. If you have more things you can ship it later.

Cheers/danke

Cliff
    Cheers

Cliff

Nelson, New Zealand
    NZ Citizenship in 2000, been in NZ 15 years now
    Arrived NZ in 1997 from Las Vegas, Nevada, USA

"New Zealand isn't just a physical place it is a state of mind."

Default no hurry...

hi,

thanks for your advice. my parcels are not in a hurry so i could send them by ground. so but how does it work? i have zero experience....
    can i just pack them and bring the parcel to the post office and send them by economy instead of priority? what do u mean by ship it? I am lucky to have an address in NZ very the parcels can be sent while i am still here in austria.

many thanks,anita

Cliff is offline Oh Masterful One
    Blog Entries

Anita

Yes just pack it up and take it to the post office. They will be able to tell you the rate and estimate time to ship to NZ. You will have to declare what is inside and a value. just say "Used clothing" or something like that and an estimated value. You can decide if you want to insure it or not also.

For me I use the term "ship" is the same as "mail", Sorry.

It is good you have an address here in NZ already. Three is normally no discount or saving for multiple boxes so you can take each box as it is packed. Even if you ship them at the same time their arrival may be slightly different.

I have put things simply in a box or sometimes put them in a big plastic garbage bag before I put them in the box if I want to make sure they don't get wet.

If you insure it you will possibly get some tracking number which is nice.

Since you have so much time you may try sending a single box as a test. After it arrives you can then send the remainder.

I hope this helps.

Cliff
    Cheers

Cliff

Nelson, New Zealand
    NZ Citizenship in 2000, been in NZ 15 years now
    Arrived NZ in 1997 from Las Vegas, Nevada, USA

"New Zealand isn't just a physical place it is a state of mind."

Default thanks

Thank you all for your advice! I just got a 50 l box from the post office..let s see how much I can put in

bye bye, anita