Thread: Flights booked...now I'm nervous!

DizzyF is offline Member

Default Flights booked...now I'm nervous!

Well we booked flights today and leave the UK on 3rd November. All this time I have been really keen to leave but feel a bit anxious about if we are doing the right thing...especially as my husband is leaving a well paid job over here for the unknown in NZ! (He is from Wellington so we are going to have his family there for support!) It would be great to hear from other people who are making the move soon or have just done, to see how they felt.

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

Well, you're now a step nearer to finding out whether you're doing the right thing or not . Unfortunately, it's one of those things in life that you won't know about until you've gone through it. Once you make a start and can actively participate in your new life, you'll find things will fall into place and you'll wonder what on earth you were worried about. It's fear of the unknown, like cutting loose from all that you've known, but that's not to say that what is ahead of you will be anything but good. Enjoy!
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

nickydwuk is offline God like figure
    Blog Entries

Hi DizzyF, we leave in September. We have been planning this for nearly 18 months and now it is nearly time to go I do wonder how we will find life in NZ. Unlike you we have no family there. But - nothing ventured, nothing gained. Onwards & upwards and any other cliches you can think of
    Nursing Registration sent 5th August 2007
    Job Offer 25th September 2007
    Nursing Registration received 28th December 2007
    Submitted EOI 3rd January 2008 with 150 points
    Selected 17th January 2008
    ITA Received 31st January 2008
    ITA submitted 25th April 2008
    Approved in Principle 3rd May 2008
    Blue Stickers arrived 13th May 2008
    Flights booked for 19th Sept to Christchurch

hairyjosef is offline Junior Member

Hi Dizzy

We've just booked our flights for 21st Oct.... I am really excited, but also getting the jitters big time now!!! Hubby is a Kiwi, so like you we will have a good family and friend network... As Motherbear said, I think it is just the fear of the unknown... I KNOW it's where I want us to be as every time we have been on hol I have sulked for about 3 months on returning!!!

At least we will arrive with summer on it's way and will be leaving this wet miserable place far behind!!

I keep telling myself I have never met a miserable or stressed Kiwi!!!!

Good luck with it all!

Anna07 is offline Junior Member

Default Nerves!!!

Hiya,

We will be arriving in NZ on the 20th of November. I had been sooo excited up to when we booked our tickets and then panic struck!!!! I am very anxious as to weather we are doing the right thing or not. Like you, my husband is leaving behind a well paid job and a salary which he will never get the like of in NZ.

I have a sister in NZ and a couple of good friends and was there in February/March this year and absolutely loved it and didn't want to leave!!!!

But the main thing is saying goodbye to parents and taking the grandchildren away from them!!!! The guilt is overwhelming!!

But we are doing the right thing. My sister has been there for 10 years now and would be very reluctant to come home again.

There are several people with the exact same thoughts as you. I am dreading leaving home and everything I know, but look where we're going to, eh?

Best of luck to you all,

Anna07

TimeaNZbound is offline Junior Member

Quote Originally Posted by DizzyF View Post
    Well we booked flights today and leave the UK on 3rd November. All this time I have been really keen to leave but feel a bit anxious about if we are doing the right thing...especially as my husband is leaving a well paid job over here for the unknown in NZ! (He is from Wellington so we are going to have his family there for support!) It would be great to hear from other people who are making the move soon or have just done, to see how they felt.
    I felt the same way! I booked my months in advance, and it was difficult to click the buy button. I paused for a few minutes and asked my OH if we should really do this. He looked my in the eye with confidence, and I thought it should be fine.

The anxious feeling lasted for a while, but eventually it disappeared and was replaced with excitement. We won't have any family there, but even with a job offer, nothing is certain.

This is how I look at it: you only live once, why not try something adventurous that most people only dream of doing. If worst was to come to worse, you come back and have great stories to tell and have beautiful memories! It's a trip/dream of a lifetime!

I am sure everything will turn out fine for both of you, but there will always be feelings of fear when you embark on an adventure where you don't know the outcome. When feelings of fear come over me (they still happen for me every now and then), I just focus on the move and what needs to get done b4 we go and avoid focusing on the destination.

Hope that eases your mind a bit.
    01-04-08 Found sponsoring employer
    29-05-08 Purchased plane tickets for Oct. 15th
    02-09-08 Received job offer
    03-09-08 Applied for temp work visa-Essential Skills
    09-09-08 Received work visa (Blue Sticker)

15-10-08 Plane leaves to NZ