Thread: Could this plan work??

Caz
    Caz is offline Member

Default Could this plan work??

Hi all, looking for your opinions on this one.

I know a few of you have done something similar, but looking for some additional info!

Ok. As some of you know we are planning to move over next year. We recently looked over our points etc and it seems that we dont have the points we initially thought!

So... we were thinking this could work... Book our flights and come on a holiday visa, and keep our house running here in the uk at the same time. If hubby gets a job offer, apply for a work permit and if he gets a permit stay in NZ.

I have already got quotes for shipping etc and looked at flight prices. If we were to do this, my parents would sort out our stuff in the UK, including selling our possessions and packing our stuff for shipping. I obviously would do most before we left.

I think it would be a good safeguard to do this, just incase we sell up and then we cant find work in NZ and are forced to come back to the Uk. At least this way, we would have a house to come back to once our holiday visas expired.

Oh would we need to get police checks done before we left? Cos i know we would need these for the work permits. Or can they be done from NZ?

Any advice appreciated.

Caz xx
    Life is a Game - Great when you're winning - Crap when you're losing!

Meadow is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

Hi Caz
    I think that could work out ok. Sounds good.
    As for the police checks we got them for myself Colin and Nicole,in Glasgow
    They cost about a tenner each i think
    Anyway turns out we didnt need them as we only applied for a 1 year work permit,you only need them if you apply for a 2 yr permit.
    I dont know how we didnt need ours though cos the nice man in immigration made all of ours out for jan 2010,so that would be 2 yrs
    But he never asked for the police checks .
    If i were you id get them anyway,just incase.
    If you do get them,you just go to your local police station and ask them,and its only for 16 yrolds and over.
    I think they are only valid for 6 months too though,so by rights mine have probably expired now as i got them back around november.
    But im taking mine to my interview on friday,she hasnt asked for 1,but i will take it anyway,just incase
    Are you planning on renting youir house out while over here?
    Good luck
    Meadow

Landed in New Zealand 29th jan 2008
    Colin got job offer 21st feb
    Work Permit applied for 3rd march
    Colins work permit received friday 2nd may 2008
    Dated till jan 2010
    My work permit applied for 7th may 2008
    My work permit received 27th may 2008
    Dated till jan 2010

Arrived back in Scotland 21st July 2009

Caz
    Caz is offline Member

Hi

Thanks for the support

I dont think we are gonna rent it out as i would hate to only give someone a 6 month lease and then have to kick them out.

If we were as lucky as you, then it would be great... but i know that nothing ever works out the way you plan!!!

I would get my checks from Maryhill then i guess. My cousin is a police officer so i'll ask her where is best to go, either that or it will have to be Pitt Street lol

Its just so hard to put everything in place.. i feel as though its all i am doing haha Researching, reading posts, speaking to you guys on here... i'm never off the PC, even at work i'm on looking at stuff. lol But i guess its a big move and it does have to be planned properly.

SO - friday is interview day eh? Good luck.. I am sure you will do great!! I doubt she would want to see it. I've heard its not like here, and the kiwis are waayyy more trusting

You must let us know how you get on.

Off to bed - Chat soon,

Caz xxx

Meadow is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

Hi Caz
    I was the same,i used to sort of OD on info about NZ and sometimes id get sick of it too.
    I know my mum did.
    Its all i spoke about and id see her getting the bored out of her skull look
    She knows now,i did have to research well and i think deep down they thought id back out anyway,so thought i was wasting my time.
    Yeah things did work out for us ok,fingers crossed the pr goes as smoothly.
    Btw its Pitt st police station mine got sent of to. So youd be as well going there if its easier. I think they are the main ones dealing with it.
    bye for now
    x
    Meadow

Landed in New Zealand 29th jan 2008
    Colin got job offer 21st feb
    Work Permit applied for 3rd march
    Colins work permit received friday 2nd may 2008
    Dated till jan 2010
    My work permit applied for 7th may 2008
    My work permit received 27th may 2008
    Dated till jan 2010

Arrived back in Scotland 21st July 2009

Caz
    Caz is offline Member

hiya

i know what you mean... i think that people think you aint gonna go ahead with it lol And then when you do they are like "Oh so she was serious!" lol

Yeah i will probably just go to Pitt Street then, just as easy as Maryhill, plus its an excuse to go shopping in town lol

I sometimes just feel like i want to fly out tomorrow, but i know we cant! I am thinking about doing a part time course at college to keep myself occupied with something else... plus it will help me when i get there!!

Anyway, i am still trying to get to bed.. but you know what they say -

When men want to go to bed, they get up and go to bed, but when women want to go to bed, they have an hours worth of stuff to do before they can actually go!

Chat soon. Caz xxx

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

Hi ladies,

Just to point out that the old system of applying for police certificates has now been replaced by a new one that costs a bit more (naturally ) but it should only take 10 days instead of 40.

It's a trial scheme, which may or may not completely take over from the old one.
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.