Thread: can daughter import family car

oatesey0 is offline Junior Member

Default can daughter import family car

Hi everyone,
    Unsure if this has been addressed elsewhere, but haven't been able to spot any posts on thsi particular subject - so please be patient with me if it has!

Our daughter is emigrating to Rotorua in August, on a work to residency visa (skilled migration) and wants to take her car. But hubby isn't convinced it's econimically viable - we've read the threads and posts on the subject and for once i tend to agree with him!

Instead, he likes the idea of her taking my car (the cheek of it!!) especially as we plan to join her for extended hols (& then in 3 years or so hopefully as residents ourselves).

We know she can import her own car duty free (she's owned it for 12mnths +)but does anyone know if she can import my car duty free? It's registered in the same family name and same address as hers, but obviously not actually hers.

kokopeli is offline God like figure

Hi Oatsey,

Unfortunately not. The person who imports the car has to have owned it for 12 months. You might also want to double check the rules about importing vehicles. I might be wrong, but I thought the exemption from import duty and gst (on the value of the vehicle, cost of shipping and import duty) only applies if you have Permanent Residency. As I say, I might be wrong, so don't panic until you've had chance to re-read the rules.....

We had a huge thread about importing vehicles a while back.. You might find it if you do a trawl.

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by kokopeli View Post
    We had a huge thread about importing vehicles a while back.. You might find it if you do a trawl.
    Not sure if this is it KP?
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

Well done MB. There might be an even older thread called Shipping a Campervan. I think I traded info with Jamesthecarman and another chap who brought a VW combi in from the US.

Here is the link to the Customs charges webpage - When No Customs Charges Apply

They apply quite a liberal interpretation to the words Reside Permanently in New Zealand. Work to residence and other visas are covered by the zero fees rule if you intend to liver in NZ for at least 12 months. Sorry if my earlier post caused any anxiety Oatsie!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by kokopeli View Post
    Well done MB. There might be an even older thread called Shipping a Campervan. I think I traded info with Jamesthecarman and another chap who brought a VW combi in from the US.
    It IS an even older thread . Wow 2005! No sign of Jamesthecarman though. I guess costs have gone up a bit since then, but nevertheless it's interesting reading.
    Mother Bear

2005. Now that's vintage stuff. We haven't got any wine that old in our house!

Blog Entries

The sad thing about going back over the years searching for old threads is that you come across names that were once quite active on here and you wonder how they're doing now and if they either made it to NZ or are still there.
    Mother Bear