Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Double baggage allowance with Singapore Air??

nickydwuk is offline God like figure
    Blog Entries

Default Double baggage allowance with Singapore Air??

Has anyone actually managed to get double baggage allowance with Singapore Airlines? We are flying with them in September and their policy is that if you have an unused migrant visa you can get double baggage (40kg instead of 20kg). I had heard that some had been refused at the airport so I am trying to get it clarified in writing. It seems that the visa must be 'an unused permanent migrant visa that states you can stay in NZ indefinitely'. We have PR visa's but the visa doesn't state 'stay in NZ indefinitely' although that is what it means. Because of this, SA will not allow the double allowance . I am waiting for a reply from their customer services dept. as I have sent them a copy of my visa, a copy of the letter that came with it saying that we can live, work & study in NZ and some info from the INZ site. They have, however so far said that we can have an extra 10kg each making the total allowance 30kg. Are there any visa's that state 'stay in NZ indefinitely'?
    Nursing Registration sent 5th August 2007
    Job Offer 25th September 2007
    Nursing Registration received 28th December 2007
    Submitted EOI 3rd January 2008 with 150 points
    Selected 17th January 2008
    ITA Received 31st January 2008
    ITA submitted 25th April 2008
    Approved in Principle 3rd May 2008
    Blue Stickers arrived 13th May 2008
    Flights booked for 19th Sept to Christchurch

Taffy is offline He who shall be ignored
    Blog Entries

There is, but it's the indefinate returning residents visa which you dont get for 2 years! The only thing that states you can stay in NZ indefinately is the residency permit, which you don't get until you hit Immigration in New Zealand!

I think SA need to either change their policy or remove it as no one can ever make use of it!
    Taffy

The greatest mistake you can make in life is to be continually fearing you will make one.

gnom is offline Member

Bee careful with the baggage allowance. We flew with Emirates from Zurich to Auckland and had it in written form that we can bring 40k each person. So far so good but in Auckland it became a nightmare. We had to change to Quantas and they said that this baggage allowance is only valid for Emirates. So we had to pay each kg more than 60. We had 118 incl. the pushchair and other stuff for the baby. So we paid NZ$ 290.-- for our baggage to Wellington.
    Got Job offer in November 2007
    Got 3-years work visa valid to 15.01.2011 in Jan 08
    Landed in Wellington the 16th January 2008
    Work permit for my partner submitted the 26th Jan 08
    Loged EOI the 27th January 2008
    Was selected the 31st January 2008
    Work permit/visa granted for my partner the 20th Feb 08
    Loged my PR the 28th March 2008
    PR approved 23.07.2008

Cheers
    Gnom

Taffy is offline He who shall be ignored
    Blog Entries

Good info Gnom, I think a few people have been caught out with the same problems as your international baggage allowance doesnt carry over to domestic flights. I think someone said before that if you fly in with Air NZ and then catch a domestic Air NZ it does, but that was some time ago so may not be the case any more.
    Taffy

The greatest mistake you can make in life is to be continually fearing you will make one.

ebianca is offline Gingery, Peppery & Spicy
    Blog Entries

We booked out flights right through from Heathrow to Wellington in one go and our LA Luggage allowance was allwed right through on the domestic AKL to Welli.
    Flights booked for 24th March 2008!
    Landed in Wellington 26th March 2008!!

Job Offer Received 9th July 2008!

Temp Work Permit application submitted 11th July 2008!
    Temp Work Permit approved 4th August 2008!

EOI Submitted 11th July 2008!
    EOI Selected 16th July 2008!
    EOI 'Successful' 1st August 2008!
    ITA Received 8th August 2008!
    ITA Aplication accepted 26th September!

APROVED in Principle 10th June 2009!!!!
    Residency Visa issued 7th July 2009!!!!!

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

There's nothing I can see on Singapore Air's website about extra allowances for migrants, so it's obviously something you have to beg for directly with the airline. I thought I'd read a few months ago that SA had stopped the extra allowance. I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of airlines did this because of the rising fuel costs.

Sorry, not much help .
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

Rho
    Rho is offline Member

Default Double baggage allowance with Singapore Air?? Reply to Thread

Hi

I've just read your comments about it being an unused visa and am now a bit worried. We fly in 3 weeks with Singapore and have been told we can have 40kg each and all we need to do is complete a double baggage allowance claim form at the airport. Think I might need to double check this again and maybe get it in writing.

However, we have moved twice before and used Singapore Airlines both times and we automatically go 30kgs each anyway.

Rho.

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Rho View Post
    I've just read your comments about it being an unused visa and am now a bit worried.
    Could it be that they mean your PR visa hasn't yet been activated and converted into a Resident's Permit? It should show up on your passport if the visa had been activated on a previous trip. They are just making sure you're not double-dipping by trying to get a second load of stuff through on a subsequent trip.

Rho, with regard to the extra baggage allowance, I'd go along with you when you say about double-checking and getting something in writing. This is a very grey area where one member of SA says you can have it, but another one (usually at the airport when you're about to depart ) says you can't. I don't know why they can't get their act together on this, as the question of extra baggage comes up time after time because folks just don't know what the score is. If the staff don't know, how do they expect passengers to know?
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

sparrows is offline Member

Default Baggage Allowance

We flew Singapore end of April and the three of us all had one case each over 25kg and one piece hand luggage each
    We was not charged for being over, the crunch came when we had a domestic flight from Auckland to Wellington, apparently they need your SA flight number to which I had lost but fortunately remembered and the check in lady matched on the computer and waived being over the allowance
    My husband says some people say if you are on one way ticket they allow you extra, but we are not sure what the allowance is
    I think I would be on the safe side and contact SA direct, could save in many ways
    Hope this helps, bet you canít wait now

Debs
    Visit Sparrows blog
    www.lancsnest.co.uk

nickydwuk is offline God like figure
    Blog Entries

I am still querying it as I now know that the permit states 'indefinitely'. Just another hurdle - if all else fails at least we get 30kg each.
    Nursing Registration sent 5th August 2007
    Job Offer 25th September 2007
    Nursing Registration received 28th December 2007
    Submitted EOI 3rd January 2008 with 150 points
    Selected 17th January 2008
    ITA Received 31st January 2008
    ITA submitted 25th April 2008
    Approved in Principle 3rd May 2008
    Blue Stickers arrived 13th May 2008
    Flights booked for 19th Sept to Christchurch

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast