Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which City?

zummerzet_lou is offline your flexible friend
    Blog Entries

Default Which City?

Our original plan on arriving in NZ, was to chill, do interviews and depending on where I got a job would be where we settled.

An alternative plan is still to arrive in auckland, but have a pre-decided destination such that our container can be dispatched etc so it could arrive only 2 or 3 weeks after our arrival. Not entirely convinced on this one, but we are struggling with too many "unknowns".

Sooo .... here are our options as I see it:

Auckland: Busy, expensive houses, lots of job opportunities.

Hamilton: Perfect, except few jobs :-(

Wellington: Lots of jobs, windy, possible long commutes, housing expensive and with little land?

Christchurch: Loads of jobs, gangs? Crime? cheaper housing, smog.

Anything else I should know or consider?
    EOI Submitted 8th July 2007, 140 points no job offer.
    EOI Selected 18th July 2007
    ITA pack received 12th Oct 2007
    Completed ITA posted to NZIS 26th November 2007
    Case Officer assigned approx 22nd Feb 2008
    Immigration interview 7th May 2008
    PR AIP 10th May 2008
    Arrived in NZ, August 13th

Check out our website -> http://the-clarks.freehostia.com/

ebianca is offline Gingery, Peppery & Spicy
    Blog Entries

It's a tough on this Lou really. Different people want different things from where they live.

We chose Welli for a number of reasons.

The main was the job opportunities for Neil in IT (i know the same as you). we didn't want to live in a big city so Auckland was a no from the start.

I originaly wanted a big garden etc and knew that Welli was unlikely to offer this, however there are plenty of parks around and the beach is literally at the bottom of our road. The garden we have is plenty big enough for the kids to have a play and to have a little Veggie patch.

Commuting: The train service into Welli is apparently very good, pretty regular and very reliable. I believe Auckland is bad for public transport.

Gangs and Crime: every city is going to have areas to avoid- just like anywhere as long as you research first you should be fine.

House Prices: think these are fairly high everywhere at the moment but apprantly it's settling down. If you want more house for your money then obviously you move furthur out of the city.

If you have any specific questions on welli i'll do my best to help you out but can;t help with anywhere else.

Beth
    Flights booked for 24th March 2008!
    Landed in Wellington 26th March 2008!!

Job Offer Received 9th July 2008!

Temp Work Permit application submitted 11th July 2008!
    Temp Work Permit approved 4th August 2008!

EOI Submitted 11th July 2008!
    EOI Selected 16th July 2008!
    EOI 'Successful' 1st August 2008!
    ITA Received 8th August 2008!
    ITA Aplication accepted 26th September!

APROVED in Principle 10th June 2009!!!!
    Residency Visa issued 7th July 2009!!!!!

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

To be honest, Lou, we've had members living in all of the places you mentioned above and many have loved where they settled. Some haven't though and moved on as soon as they were able and were happy. It sounds like a horses-for-courses situation where what someone else loves, you may hate and vice versa. If we've had people living in (or around) all these cities who have enjoyed their time there, so there must surely be something good in them. It's just not always what someone else wants.

You've had some experience of Hamilton but not of the other cities. It would be very difficult to say for sure that you would like any of them until you've spent some time there in an everyday sort of situation. Personally I'd go for where the jobs are and, if that place doesn't suit, look around at your leisure for another job in another place. At least you will have some NZ experience under your belt by then which might make it easier to move onto something better. If you go for the place that appeals to you most or that folks have swayed you into thinking is the best place, if you can't get a job there it's not a lot of good, is it?
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

hatter5 is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

I'd keep clear of Wellington as it's near Porirua.

I've heard that in some areas they still eat people, some place called Cannibal Creek I think.

Meadow is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

Like the other replies,its what suits some people might not suit others.
    Again i can only speak for what i have seen so far ,of chch,and its only been from end jan,so hardly an expert
    But ive not seen 1 gang in Chch
    The smog is only at night,and i honestly dont see this a problem.I love the smell of the wood burners in the morning walking to school Actually ive only noticed it since it was mentioned on this forum
    I havent seen any crime with my own eyes,but the newspapers and news give plenty out,but its the whole of NZ
    And again drugs ive not seen or not partaken,so no clue either
    but coming from glasgow,i know what junkies look like and thank god,you dont see that kind thing here
    I think like most would,do what you can from there,but travel around if you can when you get here.
    We done that and im glad as i am happy with our decision so far.
    Meadow

Landed in New Zealand 29th jan 2008
    Colin got job offer 21st feb
    Work Permit applied for 3rd march
    Colins work permit received friday 2nd may 2008
    Dated till jan 2010
    My work permit applied for 7th may 2008
    My work permit received 27th may 2008
    Dated till jan 2010

Arrived back in Scotland 21st July 2009

ebianca is offline Gingery, Peppery & Spicy
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by hatter5 View Post
    I'd keep clear of Wellington as it's near Porirua.

I've heard that in some areas they still eat people, some place called Cannibal Creek I think.
    Well you never told me that Jim and now look where were living- some well dodgy people in a place called Aotea too.
    Flights booked for 24th March 2008!
    Landed in Wellington 26th March 2008!!

Job Offer Received 9th July 2008!

Temp Work Permit application submitted 11th July 2008!
    Temp Work Permit approved 4th August 2008!

EOI Submitted 11th July 2008!
    EOI Selected 16th July 2008!
    EOI 'Successful' 1st August 2008!
    ITA Received 8th August 2008!
    ITA Aplication accepted 26th September!

APROVED in Principle 10th June 2009!!!!
    Residency Visa issued 7th July 2009!!!!!

hatter5 is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

I only heard about it on Monday. A friend who lives in Upper Hutt and works in Lower Hutt along side a few Kiwi's and they told him about it so it must be true.

Aotea used to be a nice place up until about a year ago then some old riff raff arrived....

Taffy is offline He who shall be ignored
    Blog Entries

Hi Lou,

As said above, it's horses for courses really, but here's my take:

Auckland - good for jobs, highest pays around but biggest, most expensive city to live in and high crime, small houses for a LOT of money! Only worth considering if you want big city life, cos in that aspect Auckland is great and has the most to offer of any NZ city.

Hamilton - You've seen for yourself so don't need to explain, but living here could depend on how long you can hold out for a job. Hamilton's more of a word-of-mouth job market so whats advertised isn't anywhere near whats available usually. It's also a slower pace of life so not everything happens as quickly as you'd like some times. Housing is cheaper than the other majors, but this is because it's not on a beach and isnt a touristy area, which is why most people don't look at the place, and why kiwis who don't live in Ham say it's rubbish. More of a functional city than a lifestyle choice, being mainly a dairy farming area.

Wellington - Seems a fairly balanced place, good jobs etc, only downsides seem to be commutes, limited spacious housing unless you extend your commute considerably and any minute now they expect 'The Big One' to hit (major earthquake) which should see most of the city slide in to the sea. (Thats the reason why WG wont entertain moving there ) I think the wind is over-hyped a lot, but it does get mighty windy there on times.

ChCh - Well, thats on the South Island!! Who'd want to live there?! I don't know if it's unbalanced media coverage but seems to have a disproportionate amount of crime for the size of the city, and the most reported problems with boy racers etc. I guess it's because ChCh is isolated in many respects, it's the only major city until you hit Dunedin so the kids are probably bored. As I say though, this could be just down to media coverage. Get this too, no word of a lie I've also heard many a kiwi call the locals - wait for it - worse than Aucklanders! Apparently Christchurchians are becoming elitist in their attidute and have the worst racist outlook!! But, shouldn't believe everything we're told. It's the most popular destination for Brits though, so it must hold something and it certainly does offer a good amount of jobs and reasonably priced housing!
    Taffy

The greatest mistake you can make in life is to be continually fearing you will make one.

Meadow is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

its on the south island-whod want to live there.
    OI
    Christchurch is lovely.
    And the South island is the more scenic island,everyone nows that
    Meadow

Landed in New Zealand 29th jan 2008
    Colin got job offer 21st feb
    Work Permit applied for 3rd march
    Colins work permit received friday 2nd may 2008
    Dated till jan 2010
    My work permit applied for 7th may 2008
    My work permit received 27th may 2008
    Dated till jan 2010

Arrived back in Scotland 21st July 2009

Taffy is offline He who shall be ignored
    Blog Entries

Yeah, never been there but the scenery sure does seem to make up for all the crime, drugs and other problems Oh, and Kokopeli lives there so that speaks volumes

If you come to Hamilton though, you may get Jon in for a bit part on Peter Jacksons latest epic - The Hobbit. It's being filmed on location in Matamata on the site of the original Hobbiton from the LOTR movie!!
    Taffy

The greatest mistake you can make in life is to be continually fearing you will make one.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast