Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New Plymouth

BiRa is offline Junior Member

Default New Plymouth

I was wondering if anyone out there could tell me/give me some information about good primary schools in New Plymouth. Which ones are the best? Also is there any primary private Christian school that is really good?

Another question is what is the best area to rent/buy a house?

Any help will be appreciated!!!!

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

Hi BiRa . Welcome!

I don't know if you've read the excellent post by Alison who lives in that area and here's another one .

You can search for reports on various schools on here.
    Search for schools in your chosen area here.
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

Thank you so much Mother Bear for the Info. The website however does not give me information on which schools are considered goo by the local community. do you know which ones are? Also, are there any private primary schools in NP?

Alison is offline Member

Hi BiRa

My son goes to school at Welbourn which is a really great school, but there are many, many schools in NP so a lot would either come down to where you where living as some have catchment areas and some don't. The only school/area I have been told to avoid is Marfel, which is the rough area of town so I am told. Schools that have always been mentioned as some of the best are Welbourn, Merrilands, Fitzroy, Woodleigh, Mangorei, but from what i've heard most of the ones in town are pretty good. In the local townships like Oakura, Omata and Inglewood there are schools as well which again all have good reputations.

I am not sure on Christian schools of the top of my head, I know there are catholic schools which are extremely well thought of, as my friends daughter goes to one of them. I will look through the yellow pages tomorrow when I have time and refresh my memory of any christain schools

Ali

Default Thanks Ali

Hi Ali,

Thank you so much for the information you have given me. We live in Christchurch at the moment and my daughter goes to a private christian girls school here (St. Margarets) which is thought of as one of the best. She is in primary school; which is why I am particular that she goes to a good school if we make the move to NP

It would be great if you could tell me which catholic school is the one your friend's daughter goes to. Also, what is the general opinion about Frankley school?

About places to live, I read in your earlier posting that Marfell is an area to avoid. But which place is thought of as good..preferable an area with families and elderly people around.

Thanks again for all your help!

Much appreciated.

BiRa

Alison is offline Member

Hi BiRa

I knew there was another one I couldn't remember that is well thought of And Frankley School is the one and has a very good reputation from what i've heard. The catholic school my friends daughter goes to I think is called St Josephs of the top of my head, which has an extremely good repuation and feeds straight into Sacred Heart Girls College which again has one of the best reputations. I hope to see my friend soon so will double check the name though.

Looking for areas to live in, we live on the edge of town between Welbourn and Highlands Park. Highlands Park is the newest area in town and has lots of new houses going up, Merrilands is next to HP and is one of the most sought after areas in town from what our agents told us when we were looking, Whalers gate is the other side of town is another growing area with lots of new houses going up. Now knowing a bit more about New Plymouth in general and if I had to choose which part of town to live in I have to say there is no real areas I would avoid, apart from the aforementioned Marfel and CBD, but that is more because I like being a it further out of the town centre, but love where we are now and would probably stay around here as we are only 5/10 minutes drive from town centre (depending on traffic), close to Pukekura Park and Brooklands Park/Bowl/zoo and the racecourse, so Welbourn, Highlands Park, Merrilands would be my choice. Other popular areas are Westown, Frankleigh Park, Bell Block (which is out of the main town a few KM's). If you wanted to look out of the main town Oakura is a well sought after township about 15k out of town which has it's own primary school which has an excellent rep, it is a lovely area right on the beach and some lovely houses but quite an expensive place to buy houses.

It's hard to give advice as people look for different things but if you end up making the move here I think you wont havee any trouble finding some good schools and areas you like

Please don't hesitate to ask if there is any other questions I might be able to answer

Default Thanks a ton Ali!

Dear Ali,

Thank you sooo... much for your info! So nice to have a forum like this to be able to speak to someone especially when we don't know much about the place!

Highlands Park seems like an area we might enjoy living at. Is this area zoned for Wellbourne or Magorei school?

Also, is St Josephs zoned or is it a private school?
    Once again Ali, thank you ever so much for your information. This has been so immensely helpful especially because we don't know anyone there.

Much much Appreciated

BiRa

P.S: If we make the move (Subject; to my husband getting a confirmed offer for job)...you must come over for coffee. I owe you atleast this!

Alison is offline Member

Hi BiRa

You are most welcome, it is great to be able to help out even just a little bit!

Living in Highlands Park I think your daughter would be eligible for both Welbourn and Mangorei, and possibly Merrilands as well, all 3 very good schools, my son goes to Welbourn so I am slightly biased towards them but before we chose a school we where given big thumbs up for all 3

Re St Josephs, what I will do is text my friend and double check that is the school her daughter goes too, I think it is but sadly my memory is a bit like a sieve sometimes and I will check if it is zoned or not, they don't pay for Charlotte to go there but they are Catholics and do live quite near it I think so it may be zoned in which case you would have to be looking over the other side of town from HP.

And count me in if/when you come to NP, would love to come round for a cuppa :D

Ali
    x

Default We are coming!

Hi Ali,

Finally have got the confirmed job offer in hand..so pretty soon we will be moving to NP. So many things to sort out here though before we make the move...sell the house we own here etc etc.

We initially plan to rent out before we buy a house.....renting probably in the areas you suggested(HP or merrilands etc).

Please let me know when you hear back from your friend!

Thanks much much once again

best wishes
    BiRa

Alison is offline Member

Congrats BiRa on your husbands job offer!!!!

Can I ask who your husband will be working for?

I will text my friend again, as she is as dizzy as me when it comes to replying to texts hehe

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast