Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Child friendly airlines

Mel John is offline Member

Default Child friendly airlines

Looking to fly out w/c 2/6.......... any advice re child friendly airlines/ best on-board entertainmant to keep them occupied etc. Previously flown with Emirates so aware of what they have to offer, just wondered what others experiences were?

Thanks in advance.......
    EOI Submitted - 19/09/07
    EOI Selected - 26/09/07
    EOI Decision Successful - 19/11/07
    ITA Received - 22/11/07
    Medicals passed - 14/12/07:
    ITA Received by INZ -25/01/08:
    Approved in principle - 01/02/08
    Migrant Levy paid & Residency Approved - 7/2/08:
    Passports with visas received - 09/02/08
    We ARE HERE ..........JUNE 2008!!!!

ebianca is offline Gingery, Peppery & Spicy
    Blog Entries

Hey.

We have a 4 and 2 year old. We flew with Air NZ- htey were great. indidual screens on all seets with special kids section with music films and games.
    The food was pretty good for them too.

The crew were very helpful with helping with baggage and car seats etc. I would recomend them. we were dreading the flight but the kids were really happy and was quite an enjoyable flight in the end.
    Flights booked for 24th March 2008!
    Landed in Wellington 26th March 2008!!

Job Offer Received 9th July 2008!

Temp Work Permit application submitted 11th July 2008!
    Temp Work Permit approved 4th August 2008!

EOI Submitted 11th July 2008!
    EOI Selected 16th July 2008!
    EOI 'Successful' 1st August 2008!
    ITA Received 8th August 2008!
    ITA Aplication accepted 26th September!

APROVED in Principle 10th June 2009!!!!
    Residency Visa issued 7th July 2009!!!!!

Cliff is offline Oh Masterful One
    Blog Entries

Some Air New Zealand planes have the "toys" and some don't. However the staff is kid friendly. AIr NZ I think is the only airline who feeds kids first before anyone else. That is a strong point on how kids are treated here.
    Cheers

Cliff

Nelson, New Zealand
    NZ Citizenship in 2000, been in NZ 15 years now
    Arrived NZ in 1997 from Las Vegas, Nevada, USA

"New Zealand isn't just a physical place it is a state of mind."

Taffy is offline He who shall be ignored
    Blog Entries

Singapore Airlines is also another really child friendly one, all their aircraft have the in-flight entertainment and the kids are also fed before the adults - which is ok but means the kids are bored while you're trying to eat
    Taffy

The greatest mistake you can make in life is to be continually fearing you will make one.

Welshgirl is offline Super Moderator
    Blog Entries

We've flown Air New Zealand and Singapore Airlines and were equally happy with both - SA also feed the kids first, though I don't know about any other airlines Oh, and we've used Emirates once, who were also good - they gave loads of free gifts!

Think they're probably all much of a muchness when it comes to kids - after all, it's in everyone's interests to have happy children on the flight

You tend to get special treatment too, travelling with kids under about 6 or 7 - taken to the front of queues, boarding the plane first, etc

Maggiemoo is offline Senior Member
    Salisbury UK (was Tauranga NZ from 06/06 to 05/07)

We flew with Air New Zealand when our kids were babies and toddlers, and they were really good - staff were very helpul and attentive. Would definitely recommend them.

Happy travels,

Maggie x

Mel John is offline Member

Thanks for all the replies folks...................
    It seems from what people are saying that those mentioned are all really on a par with each other.
    Only ones I haven't heard about are BA & Qantas.......... any comments anyone??
    EOI Submitted - 19/09/07
    EOI Selected - 26/09/07
    EOI Decision Successful - 19/11/07
    ITA Received - 22/11/07
    Medicals passed - 14/12/07:
    ITA Received by INZ -25/01/08:
    Approved in principle - 01/02/08
    Migrant Levy paid & Residency Approved - 7/2/08:
    Passports with visas received - 09/02/08
    We ARE HERE ..........JUNE 2008!!!!

Taffy is offline He who shall be ignored
    Blog Entries

I've only ever heard bad things about BA, miserable staff, poor service etc. Never experienced them personally so don't know if it's true or not. Qantas are supposedly good though, although again I've not experienced them.
    Taffy

The greatest mistake you can make in life is to be continually fearing you will make one.

SNataliaH is offline Junior Member

I have had very good and very bad experiences with British Airways. When I flew them from Sydney to Bangkok the trip was wonderful and the staff very helpful, but the plane was seriously overheated. Everybody kept begging for the heating to be turned down, but nobody seemed to do anything about it.

The good thing about flying BA with children is the familiarity.

What I mean is that the 'culture' of the plane is familiar. On some airlines - Korean Air in particular, but also others like JAL - the food and entertainment is not as well geared towards children from countries like England. On my last trip with Korean Air the meals being served were big bowls of warm water with a few plain noodles and tubes of flavouring to squeeze onto it all. Depending on your flight JAL will have a good range of food, or will otherwise only serve sushi. I have been on a couple of JAL flights where none of the staff spoke English, but this may have been because of the routes I was flying.

The biggest problem with Qantas is the fact they always see to be delayed in Hong Kong. On the last three or four trips there has been a problem with the plane that had to be fixed, meaning we took off hours late. On my last trip the back doors were not opening, and so they took most people off the flight and only put people in the front of the plane. The good thing about that was that we had four seats for each person! But we did leave very late. However Qantas food, entertainment and service generally is superior to most other airlines.

All that said, it really is a bit hard to know about an airline based on only one or two flights.

Malaysia Airlines, for example, has excellent long haul flights, but their shorter and domestic routes have the most appalling service I have ever come across. For example, on a few domestic flights I have seen male flight attendants spend the entire trip chatting up young women, not helping other passengers, and then allowing these women to have the chairs back AND to hold all their hand luggage on their laps during take off and landing. I have flown Malaysia Airlines around thirty times, and I would recommend them, so long as you stick to the long haul flights!!

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

I haven't flown much with BA but, when I did, I found the cabin crew to be unsmiling and, as Taffy says, miserable. I was looking forward to flying with an airline from my home country with the familiarity of the crew being natural English speakers, the food etc. being recognisable, but it was let down by the staff. I can't remember the quality of the food or much else other than the staff - perhaps I've blotted it from my memory. All I remember saying to hubster is 'I'm not impressed'.

Malaysia Airlines is pretty good on long hauls, but the short haul flights we've had weren't so good, old plane and facilities.

I can't really comment on child-friendly airlines as mine are way old enough to make flights on their own, but you can check out this aspect on here . If you click on an airline there is a section called General Ratings in grey and the last item in there is Assisting Families and Children which might give you some idea. Of course, as with everything staffed by human beings, there's always the risk of a rogue element being introduced so we just have to hope for the best. If you scroll on down to the class you would be travelling in, it also tells you how the in-flight entertainment rates.

An example here for Air NZ .
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast