Thread: Qustions to ask shippers?

nickydwuk is offline God like figure
    Blog Entries

Default Qustions to ask shippers?

We are about to get some quotes for shipping our belongings. I was wondering if anyone can suggest a list of questions to ask the various companies so that I can get a better idea of what they offer.
    Nursing Registration sent 5th August 2007
    Job Offer 25th September 2007
    Nursing Registration received 28th December 2007
    Submitted EOI 3rd January 2008 with 150 points
    Selected 17th January 2008
    ITA Received 31st January 2008
    ITA submitted 25th April 2008
    Approved in Principle 3rd May 2008
    Blue Stickers arrived 13th May 2008
    Flights booked for 19th Sept to Christchurch

Cliff is offline Oh Masterful One
    Blog Entries

Is it door to door or door to port.
    Is there any delivery included.
    Additional charges
    Cost per day to have the container stored until you are ready for it
    Pricing currency for any destination charges
    Insurance - Normally here isn't any but sometimes there is loading damage coverage
    Cheers

Cliff

Nelson, New Zealand
    NZ Citizenship in 2000, been in NZ 15 years now
    Arrived NZ in 1997 from Las Vegas, Nevada, USA

"New Zealand isn't just a physical place it is a state of mind."

ebianca is offline Gingery, Peppery & Spicy
    Blog Entries

Might want to ask about unpacking at the destinationa nd if they take away all the rubbish- we are using PSS and they do. They even come back to take rubbish at a later day if you dont want to unpack everything in the one day.

Obviously you want to know how long it will take. Ask what company they use at the other end and get some info on them- a lot of shipping companies use a NZ based removals company at destination end (mind you if you have full container not sure it is the same as a part load like us).
    Flights booked for 24th March 2008!
    Landed in Wellington 26th March 2008!!

Job Offer Received 9th July 2008!

Temp Work Permit application submitted 11th July 2008!
    Temp Work Permit approved 4th August 2008!

EOI Submitted 11th July 2008!
    EOI Selected 16th July 2008!
    EOI 'Successful' 1st August 2008!
    ITA Received 8th August 2008!
    ITA Aplication accepted 26th September!

APROVED in Principle 10th June 2009!!!!
    Residency Visa issued 7th July 2009!!!!!

nickydwuk is offline God like figure
    Blog Entries

Thanks - just keep them coming!!
    Nursing Registration sent 5th August 2007
    Job Offer 25th September 2007
    Nursing Registration received 28th December 2007
    Submitted EOI 3rd January 2008 with 150 points
    Selected 17th January 2008
    ITA Received 31st January 2008
    ITA submitted 25th April 2008
    Approved in Principle 3rd May 2008
    Blue Stickers arrived 13th May 2008
    Flights booked for 19th Sept to Christchurch

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

There was one thing that used to be a very hot potato where shipping was concerned but I don't see so much about it on the NZ forums in recent times. Certain firms that handled the shipments at the NZ end were very adept at double-dipping where the MAF fees were concerned and people were advised to tell them that they would deal directly with MAF so they knew the fees were correct and going to the right quarter. NZ Van Lines was one such company. I haven't heard any complaints for a while so I hope the matter has been sorted. It would still be worthwhile asking how much you'll have to pay in MAF fees at the other end, just to give you some idea if you're being ripped off or not.

It may also be worth asking what provision is made for loading your stuff into the container if it's raining on the day. You REALLY don't want wet stuff simmering and moldering away inside the container for 2 months. Also you would need to know about offloading at your NZ home. Some container lorries need a wide turning circle on your driveway if the driver isn't willing or able to reverse back out again.
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

ebianca is offline Gingery, Peppery & Spicy
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by MotherBear View Post
    Certain firms that handled the shipments at the NZ end were very adept at double-dipping where the MAF fees were concerned and people were advised to tell them that they would deal directly with MAF so they knew the fees were correct and going to the right quarter. NZ Van Lines was one such company. I haven't heard any complaints for a while so I hope the matter has been sorted.
    We are going with PSS who have come quite well recommended and we were happy with them when they came to quote us and colletc our things. they use NZ Van Lines at this end so i am guessing/hoping any problems have been sorted when such a high profile company is using them.
    Flights booked for 24th March 2008!
    Landed in Wellington 26th March 2008!!

Job Offer Received 9th July 2008!

Temp Work Permit application submitted 11th July 2008!
    Temp Work Permit approved 4th August 2008!

EOI Submitted 11th July 2008!
    EOI Selected 16th July 2008!
    EOI 'Successful' 1st August 2008!
    ITA Received 8th August 2008!
    ITA Aplication accepted 26th September!

APROVED in Principle 10th June 2009!!!!
    Residency Visa issued 7th July 2009!!!!!

kokopeli is offline God like figure

Try to get written confirmation of the charges you'll have to meet at the NZ end to reduce the chances of a 'nice' surprise when your container arrives....

You will usually have to pay the following:

1. A Port Authority or Shipping Line transit charge. I think ours was around $300 for a 20' container into Lyttleton. This coves the cost of craning the container off the ship and moving it around the port. It has to be paid before the authorities at the port of arrival will release your container.

2. Customes charges if applicable. There's nothing to pay on personal goods if you arrive with PR.

3. MAF fees for a bio-security inspection of your belongings. The cost of this depends on the number of items that will need inspecting - usually garden furniture, sports equipment, vacuum cleaners and lawn mowers etc. We had 20 items inspected for $120. There is an extra charge if the MAF inspectors do the inspection at your new home. Expect about $50 if you live within 20km of a MAF office. More if you live further away. It may be less if they inspect the container at the dock.

4. An administration charge made by the NZ removal company. This is the bit MB mentioned earlier. Some removal companies were (and probably still are) charging about $500 to cover the admin. This is unacceptable, especially if you have paid for a door-to-door delivery. A reasonable charge would be $50 on top of your MAF fees, not an extra few hundred.

The Moving Company tried to charge us over $700 when we had paid for door-to-door. I refused to pay and refused to let them do the work. I got a big refund from our UK shippers, who were rubbish (Not naming names, but it begins with A, ends with K and has RROWPA in the middle). I did the MAF and Customs forms myself, got a haulage firm to deliver and collect the container for $180 and hired three or four big fellas to unload it. They charged something like $200 for five hours.

And finally (for now), ask about the claims procedure if you take the shippers insurance policy. You might need to get the unpackers to sign the form to verify any damage. It's near impossible to get this done after the event, so make sure you have copies of the relevant forms on arrivals day.

Hope that helps.