Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Entering NZ w/ a one-way-ticket

papu is offline Junior Member

Default Entering NZ w/ a one-way-ticket

Hi!

We got our EOI selected, and already want to book the tickets, since we're sure we're going to get the residence permit.

Can we enter NZ on a one-way ticket?
    - If we have a permanent resideny (I think the Initial Residency Visa is valid for one year)?
    - What about if the permanent residency application doesn't go through and we have to go for the work visa? Will be be able to enter with that?

The other option would be to buy an onward ticket to AUS (want to visit friends there anyway). But will NZ ask where we are going after AUS? This seems to easy to work...

Any advice????

Cheers,

Paul+Sanni

1happywoman is offline Senior Member
    Kawakawa, NZ, formerly Cincinnati, Ohio, USA
    Blog Entries

Default this might help.....

I found this on the Air New Zealand website:

"People travelling to New Zealand on a one-way ticket must be either:

a New Zealand passport holder
    an Australian passport holder
    a permanent resident of Australia holding a valid Australian Resident Return Visa allowing an indefinite stay
    other foreign national holding a valid New Zealand Returning Resident's Visa
    All other visitors to New Zealand must possess a return or onward ticket to a country to which you have right of entry.

If you are a visitor to New Zealand making an international side trip (returning back to New Zealand before continuing your journey), please remember to take your onward ticket with you on the side trip. You will need to present this when checking in for your return flight to New Zealand."

Personally, I would err on the side of caution and have the ticket to go on to Australia. It could be a small price to pay if you get to New Zealand and don't have what they require for entrance. I've been told it can take up to a year to process the application for permanent residence. (My partner and I surmise that that could be to slow people from immigrating to New Zealand and then going to Australia.)

keeweegal is offline Kosher Kiwi
    Blog Entries

This thread makes it clear you need an onward ticket so as 1happywoman says, I'd buy a ticket to Oz. Check Dawn's post on this thread that says you need a visa for Oz too.

hth
    KG
    Inside me is a skinny woman crying to get out but I can usually shut her up with cake!

ebianca is offline Gingery, Peppery & Spicy
    Blog Entries

Hey

If you have PR or a long term work permit (over 12month i think) then I beleive you can just have the one way ticket- i'm certain of that for if you have PR but not certain on work permit.

If you have PR you are allowed to remain n NZ permenently and therefore have no need to purchase a return ticket.
    Flights booked for 24th March 2008!
    Landed in Wellington 26th March 2008!!

Job Offer Received 9th July 2008!

Temp Work Permit application submitted 11th July 2008!
    Temp Work Permit approved 4th August 2008!

EOI Submitted 11th July 2008!
    EOI Selected 16th July 2008!
    EOI 'Successful' 1st August 2008!
    ITA Received 8th August 2008!
    ITA Aplication accepted 26th September!

APROVED in Principle 10th June 2009!!!!
    Residency Visa issued 7th July 2009!!!!!

loopylu is offline Member

I arrived in New Zealand on a 12-month working-holiday-visa on a 1 way ticket with no onward flights. I think the argument is that if you have a visa that allows you to stay 12 months or longer then you don't need an onward flight because you can't buy tickets for that far in advance... I think I just had to prove that I had the funds to buy a ticket out of the country when my year is up... although they didn't end up asking me for proof I had it just in case... not sure if that helps but I certainly didn't fit into the categories in 1happywoman's thread and didn't need onward flights...
    Arrived in New Zealand on WHV on 5th Feb '08.

Facebook ID: http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=704762406

kokopeli is offline God like figure

You can enter with a one-way ticket if you have PR. You must have the blue stickers in your passport. You'll need a return ticket if you're application for PR is still being processed. If you ain't got the stickers, you ain't got PR, even if a member of parliament or someone like that has absolutely promised that you'll definately get in!

If you ask nicely, Kate might share her story about what happens if you try to enter NZ without the appropriate visas and tickets...........

whale is offline Junior Member

Now I am confused as to what to do. I have a job offer and submitted EOI last week (175 pts) but job starts in July so there is a good chance that PR will not be through in time. I want to fly out in early July with family (forget the problems of selling the house and financing the move - these are mere details!).
    Medicals done today / police checks being sent off tomorrow.

What should I do to cover for PR not coming through. Apply for WTR? Apply for temp work visa? what visas will wife and kids need? Does this mean I have to buy return/onward tickets?

Clarification please!

ebianca is offline Gingery, Peppery & Spicy
    Blog Entries

How old are your kids?

Presuming you are from the UK you get 6 months on a visit visa which would more than likely cover your wife and kids until PR comes through. It would depend though if your kids were to go to school as visit visa wouldn't allow that.

You could apply for a temporary work visa for yourself so you will be able to work until your PR comes through. You may be able to get student vias for the kids if they are going to go to school however don't know much about that as my kids aren't school age yet and we should have PR through before the eldest one is.

Hope that helps some but i'm sure some others will come along and add some more info for you.

Beth
    Flights booked for 24th March 2008!
    Landed in Wellington 26th March 2008!!

Job Offer Received 9th July 2008!

Temp Work Permit application submitted 11th July 2008!
    Temp Work Permit approved 4th August 2008!

EOI Submitted 11th July 2008!
    EOI Selected 16th July 2008!
    EOI 'Successful' 1st August 2008!
    ITA Received 8th August 2008!
    ITA Aplication accepted 26th September!

APROVED in Principle 10th June 2009!!!!
    Residency Visa issued 7th July 2009!!!!!

Welshgirl is offline Super Moderator
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by whale View Post
    (forget the problems of selling the house and financing the move - these are mere details!).
    I like your way of thinking

keeweegal is offline Kosher Kiwi
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Welshgirl View Post
    I like your way of thinking
    I wish I could think like that!
    Inside me is a skinny woman crying to get out but I can usually shut her up with cake!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast