Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: shipping horse from UK to NZ

Tasha is offline Junior Member

Default shipping horse from UK to NZ

Has anybody shipped their horse to NZ from the UK? I am in two minds whether to take my daughters pony with us to NZ or not. How much will it costs and is it not to stressfull on the horse? Just waiting now to sell our house, we should have are work visa's by the end of the week. Does anyone have advice and experience on this equine matter? Thank you!

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

Hi Tasha and welcome .

These people ship horses , I got the link from this forum which gives you a lot of up-to-date info on the matter although the horse concerned was going to Oz. Should be a pretty similar process though, but brace yourself for the cost .

Oh! Reading on down that forum, is that you already on there? If so, my post won't be a lot of help to you.
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

kokopeli is offline God like figure

Hi Tasha,

Forgive me for being hard-hearted, but my advice would be to sell the pony and use the money to fly business class. Ponies aren't built to endure international long-haul flights, you're daughter will probably need a bigger horse in a couple of years anyway and you'll asppreciate the comfort.

Dawn is offline All Knowing Deity
    Blog Entries

I know someone who shipped over her whole yard of horses. She was an eventer though and is having a whale of a time here on all accounts. I think it cost her about ?6000 a horse, the same as it cost us to ship two dogs. You'll know your ponies temperament - Koko's not quite correct, horses do manage long haul absolutely fine, lots of international competition horses are flown here, there and everywhere from one week to the next, they cope better than their riders BUT it will depend on how your pony deals with stress. No one knows that better than you. I sold my horse before I came over here, I thought it was the right thing to do for him and from all I hear he's doing great. As it happens I really don't have the time at the moment and grazing's been really expensive here in the Waikato with the drought this year.

Be aware that horse society culture is quite different here. You really have to have your own acreage to keep your horse and ride it. There aren't any public bridleways. If you get friendly with a farmer they might let you use their land but other than that it's on the grass verges at the side of the road (not ideal when HUGE trucks fly past 110 kph) or in the float (horse box) and drive them everywhere. Don't forget as well that they're really only interested in thoroughbreds here (they're ten a penny) most others are shipped off to the meat factory as soon as they can be torn from their mothers. Nice huh? Kiwis do not have the same affection for their animals as we soppy Brits I'm afraid.
    Last edited by Dawn; 22-04-2008 at 02:22 PM.
    Passionate about the unfathomableness opportunities of kiwi-a-gogo-land

kokopeli is offline God like figure

Quote Originally Posted by Dawn View Post
    I know someone who shipped over her whole yard of horses..... I think it cost her about ?6000 a horse, the same as it cost us to ship two dogs.
    Blimey Dawn, I'd have found two kiwi dogs and sold them to ya for much less than that! At least you can ride horses. And eat them when the going gets tough!

Dawn is offline All Knowing Deity
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by kokopeli View Post
    Blimey Dawn, I'd have found two kiwi dogs and sold them to ya for much less than that! At least you can ride horses. And eat them when the going gets tough!
    Koko, we could eat the bear if the going gets tough, should last a good six months we if we salt him well. You're welcome to share of course, should you be up this way on a random conditioning ride. You never know you might get taken over by Forrest Gumpness and just keep on going till you get tyred (did you see what I did there!!) I've heard quads that move as fast as yours can ride over water - so should be no problem (if there is just ask the Taf Demigod to show you how to part the waves)! I'll put kettle on love
    Passionate about the unfathomableness opportunities of kiwi-a-gogo-land

vivdnz is offline Junior Member

Horses manage the journey from the UK\US to New Zealand on a very regular basis. Shuttle stallions make the journey twice a year, and unlike humans the horse shipping companies make no differentiation between expensive stallion and podge the pony.

You don't need to have your own land to own a horse in NZ. Most people don't. However, the 'livery' scene here is very different. It is almost unheard of to have most of the types of livery that exist in the UK, although there are a few popping up near cities. For the most part we have 'grazing'. This is anything from 'grass livery' (paying for some paddocks) to something like DIY livery (although it is considered unusual to keep a horse in a stable here).

Don't forget as well that they're really only interested in thoroughbreds here (they're ten a penny) most others are shipped off to the meat factory as soon as they can be torn from their mothers.
    This is definitely not true. Thoroughbreds are more likely to go to the knackers than anything else. Why? because there are so many coming off the racetrack (just like the UK) without anyone to take them.

We do love our TBs here, but there are a wide variety of crossbred ponies and horses available these days (yes, we used to be pretty much all TBs because no one could afford to import anything else). The dressage and sporthorse scene is currently filled with big warmbloods and crossbreds.

There are not really 'cobs' here, and there are not that many adults who ride ponies but there are some around. Our version of a cob is a NZ special - the clydie\TB cross.

As for public riding spaces - depends on where you live. Some areas are terrible others great. Some of us are working hard to improve our pitiful outdoor recreation opportunities and recreation trails If you need more help on that, please let me know

Cliff is offline Oh Masterful One
    Blog Entries

The area where you go will be a impact. There are many pony clubs in NZ. Eventing is quite popular but can find people who just trail or pleasure ride.

I am not sure of the cost and quality of your current steed but would think you can t take the money you will pay on transport and replace it with something very nice.

I am an old horse person and know you can become attached to one and money is not an issue.

The comment about a horse living in the paddock is true here. Very few animals live in the stall here. There are free to run in the open and is felt it is more healthy for the animal.

You might come out and have a look around first. The pony can follow you over later when you have a definite decision. The cost is the same and will give you time to find it good accommodation first.

Cheers,

Cliff
    Cheers

Cliff

Nelson, New Zealand
    NZ Citizenship in 2000, been in NZ 15 years now
    Arrived NZ in 1997 from Las Vegas, Nevada, USA

"New Zealand isn't just a physical place it is a state of mind."

Bucks fizz is offline Junior Member

Hi Dawn, is 6000 the average cost to get 2 dogs from the uk to nz ??
    What sort of dogs were they?
    thanks Bucks Fizz

Quote Originally Posted by Dawn View Post
    I know someone who shipped over her whole yard of horses. She was an eventer though and is having a whale of a time here on all accounts. I think it cost her about ?6000 a horse, the same as it cost us to ship two dogs. You'll know your ponies temperament - Koko's not quite correct, horses do manage long haul absolutely fine, lots of international competition horses are flown here, there and everywhere from one week to the next, they cope better than their riders BUT it will depend on how your pony deals with stress. No one knows that better than you. I sold my horse before I came over here, I thought it was the right thing to do for him and from all I hear he's doing great. As it happens I really don't have the time at the moment and grazing's been really expensive here in the Waikato with the drought this year.

Be aware that horse society culture is quite different here. You really have to have your own acreage to keep your horse and ride it. There aren't any public bridleways. If you get friendly with a farmer they might let you use their land but other than that it's on the grass verges at the side of the road (not ideal when HUGE trucks fly past 110 kph) or in the float (horse box) and drive them everywhere. Don't forget as well that they're really only interested in thoroughbreds here (they're ten a penny) most others are shipped off to the meat factory as soon as they can be torn from their mothers. Nice huh? Kiwis do not have the same affection for their animals as we soppy Brits I'm afraid.

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Bucks fizz View Post
    What sort of dogs were they?
    BIG!! There were some pics of them on one of the earlier threads, but they can't have transferred very well from the old forum to this new one.
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast