Thread: Fulfilling the Dream

kiwiduck is offline Junior Member

Default Fulfilling the Dream

Can anyone help me?

I went to New Zealand with a Christian Missions School a few years back and have missed it every single day since I returned to Canada. I want to move there, more than anything! My husband feels the same way! We are both willing to move and start over there.

I know that looking into finding work is an important place to start, but seeking employment while in another country is not easy. Where should we be looking? Can you think of any companies hiring oversea workers. We can be trained to do most things. Right now, my Husband works in Lumber and I work in the Administrative Field. But we are willing and able to learn.

Anyone?

Carl is offline Member

Hello,
    Havent done any serious job hunting, as im a long way away, but I hear lots abou seek... here is a link to the main page, with links to lots of different links:
    New Zealand Immigration - New Zealand Job Seekers
    Good luck, and welcome
    Carl

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

Hi Kiwiduck and

Unfortunately immigrating to NZ isn't as easy as just finding a job. The immigration service (INZ) is very selective about who they invite to stay long term. To qualify you need to have certain skills, qualifications and work experience that NZ badly needs. If you don't fit the criteria, which also includes passing a strict medical and character assessment, it becomes a lot more difficult to get in and stay in.

There are various other ways to get to NZ by which you may be able to stay and you can read about them all here . It's not the easiest site to negotiate which is why help forums like this one exist.

A great deal of people who end up with residency have skills on the Long Term Skill Shortage List . If you think you would be eligible to apply for residency, this chart gives you some idea of how it all works. It runs on a points system . You can find some more links relating to this here .

Once you have digested all this, you may have a better idea about your chances of applying for residency. If you have any questions about it, please just ask and we'll try to help you through it.
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

kokopeli is offline God like figure

Hi Duck, the lumber industry is huge in NZ, so I'd be surprised if your old man couldn't find work. You could start by checking out the job pages in NZ newspapers and trade magazines online. What does he currently do in the industry?

kiwiduck is offline Junior Member

wow..thanx for all the advice! My Hubby works as a shipper receiver in a lumber yard and has his grading ticket as well. I will have to check into the immigration lists a little closer i guess. Its all just so frustrating.

duane1x is offline Member

I see various lumber jobs in the paper. Check today's search:
    Tiny URL for Trademe (not sure how long these jobs will stay in, but at least should be good for a few days)

See the ones for Nelson Pine. Now they may not be appropriate for DH but over a period of time you can glean out what the companies are and who is hiring. If you want to be proactive I would call those companies and speak to the receptionist and get a name of their HR person. I would then send a CV to that person along with very specific details of what DH does currently and any particular special skills and aptitudes he may have. I would be very open about where you are and what you are trying to accomplish and how long it would take you to pack up and move given the opportunity. If you look on these boards you will see that people with job offer tend to skate right through the INZ process. I would consider calling and following up a week or so after they've gotten the letter.

I would also send the same letter and CV to a person in a position which might need to hire DH, sorry don't know the industry but that might be the "warehouse manager" or some such title that oversees shipping/receiving functions. A lot of these people don't really want to conduct job searches, given the choice. It can be expensive and time consuming and not particularly fun. So if the papers are already on the desk for someone who has the skills... it's the old right place at the right time. It is always possible you could get a match.