Thread: Travelling to NZ with two passports

Ginabridget is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

Default Travelling to NZ with two passports

If you've got dual citizenship which passport do you travel on? I've got a British passport and a NZ passport.

I'm guessing that if I leave England using the British passport then I should use the British passport to enter NZ. Although that would mean joining the huge queues to go through passport control with all the foreign nationals.....so maybe me and the kids should use our NZ passports to zip through passport control in NZ, but that would leave my hubbie queuing for ages cos he's only got a British passport....and also would leave me to two exhausted toddlers to manage while I found our baggage.

Oh dear, just had a thought - my NZ passport is in my maiden name and our tickets will be in my married name which is on my British passport. Maybe I've just answered my own question.

Has anyone got any tips as to which airlines are good with young children, or are they all pretty much the same?

Thanks for your help
    Gina
    26 January 2008 - House under offer, we're getting closer
    Feb 08 - our sale has fallen through
    19 March 08 - accepted another offer on the house
    Booked tickets, will arrive in NZ 4 July 2008
    Currently enjoying the 'weather bomb' in Northland July 08
    Anticipating a move to Auckland in the next few weeks - November 08

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

Hi Gina,

This is what is says here .

Dual Citizenship

As far as New Zealand is concerned there is no restriction on acquiring the citizenship of another country (such as Britain) as well as retaining your New Zealand citizenship. Consequently, you may hold a passport of that other country in addition to your New Zealand passport. Having dual citizenship would not cause you to lose any rights as a New Zealand citizen, although when you return to New Zealand you must use your New Zealand passport or your British one must have a valid permit to enter New Zealand.

So it looks like you could use either but you must get a visa for NZ in your UK passport if you want to use that. Your NZ passport would no doubt prove your citizenship whereas your UK one wouldn't, therefore you'd need a visa in there. If you decide to use your NZ passport, you'd be well advised to sort out the change of name prior to travelling and maybe the NZ embassy could do this for you.

I think most of the more popular airlines i.e. Air NZ, Emirates, Singapore, Malaysia Air etc. have staff that are pretty good with kids but maybe those who have had actual experience can chip in with their comments.
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

Ginabridget is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

Thank you Mother Bear, I wasn't aware that I'd have to get a visa for my UK passport, I'll definitely have to get my kiwi one changed. I'm in the process of moving house at the moment so as soon as I've unpacked I'll get it sorted.

Thanks again.
    Gina
    26 January 2008 - House under offer, we're getting closer
    Feb 08 - our sale has fallen through
    19 March 08 - accepted another offer on the house
    Booked tickets, will arrive in NZ 4 July 2008
    Currently enjoying the 'weather bomb' in Northland July 08
    Anticipating a move to Auckland in the next few weeks - November 08

Taffy is offline He who shall be ignored
    Blog Entries

You could always use your Kiwi passport and just queue with your hubby
    Taffy

The greatest mistake you can make in life is to be continually fearing you will make one.

keeweegal is offline Kosher Kiwi
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ginabridget View Post
    If you've got dual citizenship which passport do you travel on? I've got a British passport and a NZ passport.

I'm guessing that if I leave England using the British passport then I should use the British passport to enter NZ. Although that would mean joining the huge queues to go through passport control with all the foreign nationals.....so maybe me and the kids should use our NZ passports to zip through passport control in NZ, but that would leave my hubbie queuing for ages cos he's only got a British passport....and also would leave me to two exhausted toddlers to manage while I found our baggage.

Oh dear, just had a thought - my NZ passport is in my maiden name and our tickets will be in my married name which is on my British passport. Maybe I've just answered my own question.
    Hi Gina

I too have a UK and a NZ passport. When I went home last year, I left Glasgow on my UK passport & entered on my NZ one. No problems, but just make sure you have both handy if need be - but I wouldn't offer the other one unless asked. We went Emirates via Dubai & used my UK one there & in Oz too I think. I do remember I wasn't asked for the other one tho - if that makes sense

When we went to the States this year, I travelled on my UK one, purely because everyone else in our group was on UK passports & I just thought it would be easier.

As MotherBear says, I'd defo get your NZ passport changed into your married name if thats what your tickets will be in. And you'd also need a visa for your UK passport.

Sal
    Inside me is a skinny woman crying to get out but I can usually shut her up with cake!

Calypso is offline Junior Member

Hi there, your husband can join you in the NZ passport queue even though he has a British passport - the first time I came to NZ with my husband, he went in the NZ passport queue and I went in the other passport queue, and both of us were told we should have gone in the NZ queue together, which is what we do now.

Although as you will have two toddlers with you, you will be able to go through the families queue, which is much quicker than both of the others (at Auckland, anyway - I don't know about the other airports).

selchie is offline All Knowing Deity
    Blog Entries

I've not found the queues to be all that slow anyway. Waiting in line to check baggage is much worse. And so far, the Kiwi customs agents have been very nice.
    If men had wings and bore black feathers, few of them would be clever enough to be crows.
    - Rev. Henry Ward Beecher, mid-1800s