Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Auckland to Wellington.

ebianca is offline Gingery, Peppery & Spicy
    Blog Entries

Default Auckland to Wellington.

Well I guess it's time to start asking the serious questions.

We are heading for Wellington so was wondering what the best way to get there would be with 2 kids, 8 suitcases plus hand luggage.

Obviously we will be landing in Auckland so do we get a connecting flight or hire a car/camper van and drive down?

We are going to fly Air NZ via LA so we can have the extra luggage allowance (hence the 8 suitcases) so would have to weigh up the extra luggage charges on a connecting flight.

If we were to rent a camper van to go from Auckland to Welli are there companies that pick it up for you or would we have to find a way to get it back to Auckland?

Any advise from those ethat have already done it or those that just want to add their two pennies worth are welcome.
    Flights booked for 24th March 2008!
    Landed in Wellington 26th March 2008!!

Job Offer Received 9th July 2008!

Temp Work Permit application submitted 11th July 2008!
    Temp Work Permit approved 4th August 2008!

EOI Submitted 11th July 2008!
    EOI Selected 16th July 2008!
    EOI 'Successful' 1st August 2008!
    ITA Received 8th August 2008!
    ITA Aplication accepted 26th September!

APROVED in Principle 10th June 2009!!!!
    Residency Visa issued 7th July 2009!!!!!

hatter5 is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

LAX is best avoided particularly with children.

I can't remember how much the excess baggage costs are but it might be cheaper to bring over the essentails and with the money you've saved replace the things you leave.

We just managed to get 13 items in all, including a stroller and 2 car booster seats, without any charges.

Depending on whether you are planning a sight seeing trip from Auckland to Wellington then consider flying via the Far East and try to fly direct into Wellington if possible. We flew via Hong Kong (spent a few days there and visited Disneyland) and then onto Sydney (stayed a couple of days) and then Wellington.

LAX is an experience I will not be repeating.

LilAmy is offline God like figure

Hi

I agree that you're probably best avoiding LAX mum flew thru them when she visited and said it was a nightmare.

If you cant change your flight and are set on flying to AKL then I would probably opt for the Campervan trip and the journey between the two cities is awesome and shows some of the real New Zealand lifestyle.

Although I think there is a charge if you are not returning your campervan to the place you picked it up. You may want to look into relocating a campervan that was left in AKL but belongs to a Wellie company? If you do that you usually get a good deal but do have to put down a $1000 bond incase of any damages (or something like that).

The flight to Wellie would of course be quicker just watch the winds in Wellie when you land There are also lots of cheap flights going on Air NZ grabaseat and of course pacific blue now.

If you havent booked your flights why not look into Emerates as their flights are getting slightly cheaper and are accommodating more direct routes.

I think one thing to remember is the jet lag when you arrive. It usually takes me a few days to recover so you'll have to take that into consideration especially with your kids.

Good luck with it all !

Glenda is offline All Knowing Deity

I am not certain whether you have already booked your flights, but if you are going via AirNZ, you can continue your luggage allowance on a domestic flight if it is part of your journey.

This is what they say:-

5.3 Checked Baggage Allowances
    Passengers are allowed the following baggage. Any piece of baggage that weighs in
    excess of 32kg will not be accepted for carriage.
    (a) Domestic Services: 20kg maximum weight with a maximum combined dimension
    (length and width and height) of 158cm.
    (b) Travel to or from the USA, US Territories, Canada and Tahiti, or between New
    Zealand and the UK via North America: All classes - 2 pieces of baggage per person with
    a maximum combined dimension (length and width and height) of 158cm per piece.
    Economy and Premium Economy - each piece cannot exceed 23kg in weight. Business
    class - each piece cannot exceed 32kg in weight.
    (c) All other international journeys: Each piece should not exceed a maximum combined
    dimension (length and width and height) of 158cm. Economy and Premium Economy -
    20kg maximum weight. Business Class - 30kg maximum weight.
    (d) If part of the itinerary involves travel under the piece system, then the piece system
    will apply to the whole journey. This includes Star Alliance Round-the-World fares.

The drive down to Wellington would certainly be awesome. I would recommend a couple of days in an Auckland hotel/motel to get over the jetlag. I would also recommend no more than three to four hour's driving a day as you will probably get the urge to doze off in the afternoons for a week or so! It is a personal choice as to whether you prefer to hire a rental car and stay at motels, or go for a campervan.

Alternatively, you could take the train.
    Last edited by Glenda; 26-10-2007 at 11:12 AM.
    Glenda
    In NZ since June 2005
    Better to light a candle than to curse the darkness - Chinese proverb

KiwiHopeful is offline God like figure

Definitely try to avoid LAX if possible. Air NZ does fly out of San Francisco, too, so if you can fly through there, you'd be better off. SF airport is much smaller, much more low-key, etc. etc.
    EOI Submitted: July 20, 2006
    EOI Selected: August 2, 2006
    ITA Received: October 12, 2006
    ITA Submitted: February 2, 2007
    Migrant Levy Paid & Visas Shipped: June 6, 2007
    Arrived in NZ: July 26th, 2007
    Leaving NZ: June 1st, 2008

kokopeli is offline God like figure

All of the campervan and car rental companies do one-way hire. They quite often advertise for people to do 'one-way' runs at a cheap rate so they can get the vehicles back to the main international hubs. Avis, for example, offer top of the range cars (MPVs etc) for $20 a day compared to God knows how much usually. Just a case of ringing 'round and telling 'em you're available to drive a vehicle back to Welly if they need a hand...

Blog Entries

Thanks guys.

Nothing booked yet as still waiting for the sale to go through on the house- would be sod's law that we book and then the sale falls through- not tempting anything.

I like the idea of the camper van down to Welli but this will also depend if OH gets a job offer before we arrive and when they would want him to start.If he doesn't then I think we will do that- get a bit of exploring done (and maybe a night or two on Taffy and WG drive).

Keep the advice and tips coming- it is vair vair much appreciated.

Dawn is offline All Knowing Deity
    Blog Entries

Bethy, Taf's and WG's drive is a vair vair nice place to spend a night or two I can tell thee. You are also more than welcome to park up at ours. We drove down the east coast from Hamilton to Welli and once you get past Napier it's a pretty boring drive until you hit the mountain pass from the Wairarapa to Welli. Gary and I were damn near sure that one of the place names we passed through translated into 'Human Pie'. It was THAT freaky baby!!

Have to say Beth we were set on Welli and very disappointed. The city itself is beautiful but too expensive and space locked to live in. Once you hit the suburbs the houses are still very contained, you have to head a long way out before you have any space and then it's too far to commute.

That's how come we ended up back in Hamilton.

Remember the old Sally Bash song: 'Come and join us, come and join us....la la la la' You'll be a Hamiltonian before ye know it
    Passionate about the unfathomableness opportunities of kiwi-a-gogo-land

Blog Entries

Thanks for that offer Dawn- could get Jessica and Poppy together to see who they have been speaking to.

We have picked Welli due to work availablility and carreer opportunities. The lack of space was one thing that bothers me- I would like a bit of land for the kids and for growing veggies etc.

Ultimately it depends on where OH get's a job but we thought we would be more suitied to Welli over Auckland if we were heading fo a big place. Once he has a job and we get our visas then we can start looking round at other places if we're not happy.

Does Hamilton have it's own job paper or anything we could get listings from for IT jobs?

Dawn is offline All Knowing Deity
    Blog Entries

Bethy, you have to get this - NZ is nothing like UK. Don't get any kind of picture in your head of what it's like in UK and try to super-impose it - they don't equate. Big towns in UK are major cities here, towns in UK are busy cities here, villages in UK are towns here, everthing else are just farming communities. When you look on the road map and see you are approaching a town, you pass through the majority of them in 30 seconds and on to the next one 20 k up the road.

Hamilton is the fourth largest city in NZ and the Waikato is a very wealthy region as the majority of it is rich and fertile farming land. The city is buzzing but the beauty is that although you're central with fast roads to most places in the NI you're no further than 30 minutes away from the coast and unless you want to live right in the city, the surrounding area is still largely agricultural. We live in the middle of farmland with some of the most wealthy horse racers and owners in the country, a beautiful colonial 4 bedroom house with 4 acres of land for $400 a week, 4 bedroom town house overlooked by neighbours 2k from city centre $375/week. Add it up.

Welli, you'll pay at least $400 a week with nowhere near the land and defo nowhere near the city.

Look again Beth. We did.
    Passionate about the unfathomableness opportunities of kiwi-a-gogo-land

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast