Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Saying goodbye to the house

duane1x is offline Member

Default Saying goodbye to the house

Well we sent the passports off for the official stamps on Monday. That was the last piece of official INZ business (I think).

Now for the other things. I've got to confess that listing the house for sale is a huge psychological step. I might have called a realtor any day this week but haven't mustered the courage.

I think in some way it is harder than telling friends, which we have started. With friends, you can always say, we'll come visit, or you'll have to come over on holiday. But with a house, it's much more final. We have a lot of sweat in this one and have had it for fourteen years. My eldest son is turning 11 tomorrow - Happy BD! and was raised here, etc.

So there you have it - my biggest hurdle so far in moving to NZ!

Glenda is offline All Knowing Deity

Awwww, duane.

Fourteen years is a long time in a house, so many memories. You need to let the mind roam - go on a site like this - Real Estate, Houses for Sale, Rentals, Commercial and Businesses for sale at Realestate.co.nz - Realestate.co.nz

Glenda
    In NZ since June 2005
    Better to light a candle than to curse the darkness - Chinese proverb

Burgundy21 is offline Member

I can imagine selling your home is a huge step. We can't do that yet as out ITA will actually go from within NZ, so our house is a safety net. It means we will have less money to start with and I am finding it quite hard to realise how much stuff we will be leaving locked up.

Our "goodbye" has been to our dog, Bozeman, who has just gone to his new home. I admire all you crazy people who have got your pets out to NZ, but we, coming from out of UK were faced with quarantine, a refusal by Singapore Airlines to carry him ( they have an impressive not suitable breeds list, he's on it!) and anxiety that rental is complicated by having a dog. The great news is that he is going back to his breeder to be used as a stud dog.....as myOH said, that's a good way to carry on a dog's life!!

There are a lots of goodbyes being said by many on this forum, and just knowing that is a help to me as sharing the ups and downs of going to NZ with family is not easy, especially if,like us, it is not sealed with a loving blue stamp!!!

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

Take a deep breath, Duane and go for it. You have a whole new life ahead of you and it's time to shed your old skin. Out with the old and in with the new.

I do empathise with you though. The house has cradled and sheltered your family for a long time. There will be lots of memories, both good and bad, but you need to make room for a new set of experiences now and this is one big step towards doing that. Hope it goes well for you.

A forum hug is in order here, I think.
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

nickydwuk is offline God like figure
    Blog Entries

I can totally relate to Duane. We have been in our house for 21 years- got married and raised the family from this house. Lots of memories and 'junk' have accumulated over the years. I think out of all aspects of emmigrating selling the house is probably the one that is giving me more nightmares than the rest of the process.

Still, I don't need to do it until next year so can relax for now
    Nursing Registration sent 5th August 2007
    Job Offer 25th September 2007
    Nursing Registration received 28th December 2007
    Submitted EOI 3rd January 2008 with 150 points
    Selected 17th January 2008
    ITA Received 31st January 2008
    ITA submitted 25th April 2008
    Approved in Principle 3rd May 2008
    Blue Stickers arrived 13th May 2008
    Flights booked for 19th Sept to Christchurch

ebianca is offline Gingery, Peppery & Spicy
    Blog Entries

I can understand the feelings when you have lived in a house for so many years.

However I don't feel that way. I have lived in this house for over 5 years and got married and had our kids whilst living here but to me it has never really been my home. My OH had it before we met so to me it has always been his.

I am looking forward to choosing OUR first home together and having a say in the size and garden etc instead of getting what i'm given so to speak.

Yes there are some great memories here but after all they are in your head and not in the house- they can all be taken with you.
    Flights booked for 24th March 2008!
    Landed in Wellington 26th March 2008!!

Job Offer Received 9th July 2008!

Temp Work Permit application submitted 11th July 2008!
    Temp Work Permit approved 4th August 2008!

EOI Submitted 11th July 2008!
    EOI Selected 16th July 2008!
    EOI 'Successful' 1st August 2008!
    ITA Received 8th August 2008!
    ITA Aplication accepted 26th September!

APROVED in Principle 10th June 2009!!!!
    Residency Visa issued 7th July 2009!!!!!

KiwiHopeful is offline God like figure

Take pictures, lots of pictures, for the kids and maybe even a little video. I did the same for my little guys and figure that in a couple of years I can get them out and we'll have a little trip down memory lane.

It also helps to be mindful that things are not the same as people and memories. I know it's easier said than done, but try to focus on the fact that the most important things will always be with you.
    EOI Submitted: July 20, 2006
    EOI Selected: August 2, 2006
    ITA Received: October 12, 2006
    ITA Submitted: February 2, 2007
    Migrant Levy Paid & Visas Shipped: June 6, 2007
    Arrived in NZ: July 26th, 2007
    Leaving NZ: June 1st, 2008

Ace
    Ace is offline Member

Congratulations!

Unfortunately, though, getting your passports stamped isn't the last interaction you'll have with NZIS. Assuming you're on a skilled migrant visa, you will also need to send your passports in again after you've been working 3 months, to have the initial restrictions removed -- and repeat again in a year or two for the final one.

We had a hard time leaving our home, too. The process of moving was so much work, though, that we started to really look forward to getting away and getting settled into our new place. Thinking ahead really helped us.

duane1x is offline Member

Sorry for not posting regular updates. Times are busy - as OH and I say, after we get to NZ we will do NOTHING for 4 weeks. Which isn't true, but we say it anyway.

We made the call to the realtor. The sign went in the yard. I guess the price was right or the house was appealing, because it showed often and repeatedly. We had an offer a week later. We are through inspections. We close in December. For all the negative news on Housing in the US (and elsewhere?) you wouldn't have known it from our experience.

So, the drill has been: lots of small honey-do's and maintenance items to get the house in tip top shape. Tidy up every day. Receive phone call for showing - vacate! Like Beth we had a re-show but I think the most nerve wracking visit was the inspectors. Both WDI and mechanical, both of whom went under the crawlspace and scrutinized the 90 year old innards of our pier and beam structure.

The verdict: House structurally sound and not being eaten or otherwise mistreated. Whew. Deal is ON.

OH is happy. Says "this is the way it should always have looked." Yeah, but mortals with 2 kiddos don't live this way.

ebianca is offline Gingery, Peppery & Spicy
    Blog Entries

That's great new's Duane. Was pretty quick too- unlike ours which seemed to take for ever.

All going well though- we had survey done a couple of weeks ago and all is well- the estate agents came and put the SOLD signs up yesterday so just waiting for contact from solicitors to agree and exchange date which will hopefully in the next few weeks.

FIL here we come!
    Flights booked for 24th March 2008!
    Landed in Wellington 26th March 2008!!

Job Offer Received 9th July 2008!

Temp Work Permit application submitted 11th July 2008!
    Temp Work Permit approved 4th August 2008!

EOI Submitted 11th July 2008!
    EOI Selected 16th July 2008!
    EOI 'Successful' 1st August 2008!
    ITA Received 8th August 2008!
    ITA Aplication accepted 26th September!

APROVED in Principle 10th June 2009!!!!
    Residency Visa issued 7th July 2009!!!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast