Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Accommodation on Arrival

Bunstar is offline Member

Default Accommodation on Arrival

Hi all!

Am slowly working through my list of things to organise before we move (it doesn't seem to be getting any shorter though!!!) and have a few questions.

At the moment we're trying to plan accommodation for when we arrive so am hoping some of you may be able to offer advice?

We arrive in Auckland at 23:40 (way past my bed time!!!) so we're planning on just getting somewhere near the airport to crash out. Anyone have any recommendations?

Then we're currently looking into hiring a campervan. OH doesn't have a job secured yet so we're thinking we'd head to Wellington first and start job hunting there and if we have no joy, move on somewhere else. Are there any decent camp sites near to Wellington?

From people's experience is it cheaper to hire campervan or to hire a car and get hotel accommodation?

Driving licence wise we both have UK old-style paper licences - we're debating getting them changed to photo licences before we come over, do you think that's necessary or will we be fine with our old licences?

Last question (for now!!) do we need international driving licences? (OH read somewhere that we do...is that right?)

Cheers,
    Clare

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

Hi Clare,

An old link to other links about accommodation in Auckland .

Many campsites in NZ are said to be pretty decent, so that's encouraging. Take a look at Top 10 Holiday Parks , Wellington Campsites and Parks and NZ Camping Guide .

For prices of campervan hire, if you look at the NZ Website List you'll find links to van hire companies. Lil Amy had something helpful to say about campervans (CVs) v hiring a car and staying in cabins etc. on here .

You can drive on your UK licence for the first 12 months after you arrive in NZ, then you need to apply for a NZ licence.

I'm sure some of the others will be on to add a lot more useful stuff as they've done this sort of thing themselves.
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

KiwiHopeful is offline God like figure

We've had no trouble just using our US drivers' licenses. I hear it's pretty rare but the occasional rental car company might expect one. But, we were able to register our car and purchase insurance coverage with our US drivers' licenses.

However, since your licenses are from the UK, you've actually got an advantage when you buy a car and have to insure it. AMI (and I imagine the other large insurance companies) penalize drivers who haven't held a NZ drivers' license for at least one year *unless* they have previously held an Australian or UK license.

A photo license probably won't be necessary, because you'll have your passport for photo ID. Every place that we've gone that has needed 2 forms of ID has said, 'oh, if you have your passport all you need is that.'

Of course, if you look under 25 you'll need photo ID to purchase alcohol.
    EOI Submitted: July 20, 2006
    EOI Selected: August 2, 2006
    ITA Received: October 12, 2006
    ITA Submitted: February 2, 2007
    Migrant Levy Paid & Visas Shipped: June 6, 2007
    Arrived in NZ: July 26th, 2007
    Leaving NZ: June 1st, 2008

Welshgirl is offline Super Moderator
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by KiwiHopeful View Post

Of course, if you look under 25 you'll need photo ID to purchase alcohol.
    As Taffy will testify...... and he's nearly 30

johnty is offline Senior Member

When we were over we stayed at a campsite in hut (lower i think) just outside welly and it was clean and tidy with a good tv room (important as the super 14s was on )
    As we were out of season we got a good deal on the camper (kea campers)and there did not seem alot of difference between motels or the camper.
    so it rearly depends on when you are going,and if peak season you may find that you need to give a bit of notice to book a place at motels or campsites(ie phone ahead)
    But we did stay on the side of the road a couple of times just because we could or needed to sleep right then, the camper will give you greater flexability but the insurance (optional ) can be steep.
    we were with out the camper for the first 10 to 12 days of our trip and came unstuck in new plymouth no vacancy at any hotels, motels holiday inn(sorry just felt a rap comming on)
    Because of a big rugby match (hurricains v the cheifs) but a lady in a motel rang her friend and a dear old lady put us up for the night ,God bless the kiwi helpfullness and trust
    All the best
    Johnty

Dawn is offline All Knowing Deity
    Blog Entries

Yeah, I've been asked for my ID loads of times as well

As for campsites, some are much better than others. I didn't like the Top 10 sites, they were just too organised for me, there were far too many rules. They felt like HiDeHi or something, I felt like someone was watching me from behind manicured bushes to make sure I was behaving. They have all the facilities but it depends what you want I suppose.
    Passionate about the unfathomableness opportunities of kiwi-a-gogo-land

Welshgirl is offline Super Moderator
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dawn View Post
    I felt like someone was watching me from behind manicured bushes to make sure I was behaving.
    Well you do have that effect on people mate..... you mean you haven't noticed Taffy secretly spying on you when you come to our house?...... oops, made him sound like a bit of a perv now haven't I ......

Rules don't agree with you do they

Dawn is offline All Knowing Deity
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Welshgirl View Post
    Well you do have that effect on people mate..... you mean you haven't noticed Taffy secretly spying on you when you come to our house?...... oops, made him sound like a bit of a perv now haven't I ......

Rules don't agree with you do they
    I have been known to abide by a few........I don't expose myself in public (well OK there was that once with the full moon), I don't take drugs (Jeez can you imagine me on drugs!!), I don't have relations with animals (this is permissable in some parts of rural Wales anyway).......I'm sure there must be others....
    Passionate about the unfathomableness opportunities of kiwi-a-gogo-land

cath jones is offline Junior Member

Default Fat Cow

Hi Bunstar
    Try NZ ADVENTURE Campervans their UK agent is very helpful
    Jan Maskell
    We have used them four times and have found them reliable and most helpful, they are only based in Auckland and Christchurch though, but they will pick you up at the airport etc.
    We are going to do the same as you in November as we have been advised to go and look for ourselves for a business to run out in NZ

Bunstar is offline Member

Thanks for all the advice guys - am going to check up on all those links MB and will certainly give NZ Adventure a ring, thanks Cath (and good luck with the business hunting!).

Glad to hear our UK licences should suffice (looks like I'll have to send OH for all the alcohol though as he looks way older than me!! Tee Hee hope he's not reading this!!! )

I love the fact that the lady in the motel called her friend and an old lady put you up for the night johnty!!! That would never happen here, in fact the motel person would phone their friend in another more expensive hotel and you'd end up paying through the nose!!! I can't wait to get to NZ

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast