Thread: Too much to organise!!

zummerzet_lou is offline your flexible friend
    Blog Entries

Default Too much to organise!!

Just need to let off steam really ...

EOI is out of the pool and being processed

House is "just" on the market

We have PSS coming tomorrow to go through our belongings

But now we are stressing about what happens when the time comes?
    We sell the houe BEFORE we get PR?

What we do for accomodation in UK and NZ?

Camper Van Vs Rental Vs motel ... with 2 under 4s AND a dog?

this is all before I start thinking about banking, jobs, direct debits, Mum, etc ...

For those whom already emigrated, how did you cope with all the organising a decision making?

Lou
    EOI Submitted 8th July 2007, 140 points no job offer.
    EOI Selected 18th July 2007
    ITA pack received 12th Oct 2007
    Completed ITA posted to NZIS 26th November 2007
    Case Officer assigned approx 22nd Feb 2008
    Immigration interview 7th May 2008
    PR AIP 10th May 2008
    Arrived in NZ, August 13th

Check out our website -> http://the-clarks.freehostia.com/

Banjo.Jon is offline Finger Picking Good!!!

I'm finding the whole process quite easy. I let you do everything and I go down the pub. It seems to work really well, and it's only you that is getting stressed.
    Landed in NZ, 13th August 2008

Web http://the-clarks.freehostia.com/

Taffy is offline He who shall be ignored
    Blog Entries

Well Lou, I think the only way to survive the whole process is to tackle one thing at a time. Your EOI is in, cant do any more there so leave that one. Your mum has been told the situation, not much more you can do there either. If your house sells before you get PR, I guess you'll just have to grab a short term rental!

Touring in a camper with 2 under 4's - don't think I'd want to attempt it, but I guess it depends on the temperament of your children, and how they are with travelling. Also not sure about taking a dog in a camper either!

Besides all that, take this prescription from Dr. Taffy for several drinks at the pub with Jon
    Taffy

The greatest mistake you can make in life is to be continually fearing you will make one.

KiwiHopeful is offline God like figure

I just tried to breath and keep telling myself, "I chose this." It usually makes it better. I guess you should also keep in mind that it won't go exactly as you planned--but then again, I don't think anyone's move went exactly as planned! Yet, you've all survived, haven't we? We're a reckless but hearty lot, it seems.

Having just done it with two boys--a 2 1/2 and a nearly 5--I don't know about the camper van. Kokopeli did it with 3 kids--who are a bit older, but not much--and I still marvel at that fact. We had a difficult enough time keeping from killing each other after 3 weeks at various relatives' houses and hotels and motels, and at each place everyone had their own room!

If I were to do it again, I probably would have looked into a cabin rather than a motel room when we first got here. A small, self-contained unit would have been a less stressful--no need to worry about disturbing the neighbors when the kids wake up at 2:00 am ready to party, or when they're running around like wild Indians, or just act like toddlers can.

If you decide to settle in Chch, Koko can undoubtedly make some useful recommendations about campgrounds and cabins.
    EOI Submitted: July 20, 2006
    EOI Selected: August 2, 2006
    ITA Received: October 12, 2006
    ITA Submitted: February 2, 2007
    Migrant Levy Paid & Visas Shipped: June 6, 2007
    Arrived in NZ: July 26th, 2007
    Leaving NZ: June 1st, 2008

Alison is offline Member

As Taffy said I would just try and do one thing at a time, I remember I had everything arranged perfectly but it only takes one thing to muck it up pretty easily so I learned just to take it as it comes, and as long as you are happy to maybe rent a place have the house up for sale now, at this time of year the house market can normaly be a bit slower and even if it sells quickly it can sometimes take a fair while to go through.

We are currently staying in a B&B (there are 3 of us) and when we eventually move into our house in 2 weeks we will have been living out of a suitcase for over 3 months (1 month in UK in a caravan and 2 months here) and I have to admit it is telling on all of us and we are very short tempered at the moment and our son is got his annoying head on hehe, so dependant on how quickly you would intend to buy a house once over here I would maybe advise renting somewhere just to give you space so that you are not on top of each other constantly.

Things like the shipping at this point get however many quotes you want and then once you choose who you want to go with advise them and then you just keep them updated as things happen and as for the banking side and all those little bits, I would say dont worry too much about them until you know a timescale and much nearer the end. You will get the odd unforseeable thing pop up but all in all try not to stress yourself and just take it as it comes. I think the worst thing for us out of the whole process was telling the mums, they didnt take it very well, my mum (who lives in Christchurch) accepted it but would have been extremely glad if we had changed our mind hehe

Oops I'm rabbiting off again :)

Take care
    Ali
    x

selchie is offline All Knowing Deity
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Banjo.Jon View Post
    I'm finding the whole process quite easy. I let you do everything and I go down the pub. It seems to work really well, and it's only you that is getting stressed.
    Be careful that Lou doesn't reduce the stress by digging a nice deep tomato bed. ..."Now where did Jon go, I wonder?"
    If men had wings and bore black feathers, few of them would be clever enough to be crows.
    - Rev. Henry Ward Beecher, mid-1800s

After checking on medicals re Waist Size it appears I actually have something to get stressed about. hmmm, no more pub for me then. Now, where did we put those diet books.

Maggiemoo is offline Senior Member
    Salisbury UK (was Tauranga NZ from 06/06 to 05/07)

Quote Originally Posted by Banjo.Jon View Post
    After checking on medicals re Waist Size it appears I actually have something to get stressed about. hmmm, no more pub for me then. Now, where did we put those diet books.
    Jon, you should be fine, Ken was, and you know how he likes a bevvie or 3 It was me who was cutting it a bit fine on the waist size, but I was let off cos I had just had a baby!! You could try that approach and see if they will let you get away with it too!!

Tell Lou to stop stressing about everything that needs doing, just take one step at a time, and if there is anything we can do to help, just give us a shout...

Catch up soon

Maggie and them!!

Thanks Maggie. Beneath this calm, chilled (and now, slightly overweight) exterior I to get stressed, it would seem I worry about the really daft things, what car we can have, what telly I can get, cost of broadband etc. while Lu worrys about the more important things like, where we will live, selling the house, buying another house, getting a job.

Re: Ken, are you telling me I have a bigger girth than the king of Guinness? That is really really unfair

zummerzet_lou is offline your flexible friend
    Blog Entries

Thanks Maggie ...

I've been trying to get Jon to do some exercise for ages, and now have found the perfect reason! I'm sure they are pretty strict on the old weight and waist measurements aren't they

As for the stressing .. not really stressed, more overwhelmed by the enormity of that there is to organise. Am trying to just focus on one thing at a time ...

Told my boss this morning, so one less thing left to do!!

Lou
    EOI Submitted 8th July 2007, 140 points no job offer.
    EOI Selected 18th July 2007
    ITA pack received 12th Oct 2007
    Completed ITA posted to NZIS 26th November 2007
    Case Officer assigned approx 22nd Feb 2008
    Immigration interview 7th May 2008
    PR AIP 10th May 2008
    Arrived in NZ, August 13th

Check out our website -> http://the-clarks.freehostia.com/

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast