Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Some Kiwi just phoned wanting my wife...

Banjo.Jon is offline Finger Picking Good!!!

Default Some Kiwi just phoned wanting my wife...

My wife just emailed off her CV to an agency in NZ and within 30 minutes they were on the phone to her!! Wanting her to fly out as soon as possible as they have jobs for her in Auckland and Hamilton. They were also wanting us to be out there within 3 months if they can get her a job!!! We have only just had out EOI selected!!

Some questions that spring to mind are:

What is Aukland like to live in for a family with young children (all under 4) as we originally discounted this area due to house prices.

What is Hamilton like? (we have not even thought about this area)

They are phoning back tomorrow evening to discuss whether we would be prepared to move out earlier than we originally intended. Which we probably would be if the right job was offered.

Many thanks,

Jon
    Landed in NZ, 13th August 2008

Web http://the-clarks.freehostia.com/

Taffy is offline He who shall be ignored
    Blog Entries

I can only speak from personal opinion, but I would never consider living in Auckland due to it's sheer population, crime levels and high house prices. What it's like to actually live there though, I couldn't really comment on.

Hamilton, however, is my forte

No one really considers Hamilton as an option as it's not near a beach (40kms is the nearest one), no one speaks about it and there aren't thousands of organisations trying to sell it to you as a 'lifestyle' choice. Apparently this is intentional, so as not to over populate the city and to keep house prices sensible. We love Hamilton though, and wouldn't want to live anywhere else. Aucklanders slate the place as a hell hole (they are jealous of our lower house prices, thinking that anyone who pays less than $1m for a 2 bed apartment is poverty stricken ). We've also got the V8 Supercars coming to town, if you like motorsport!

So, thumbs up for Hamilton and Go the Cheifs!
    Taffy

The greatest mistake you can make in life is to be continually fearing you will make one.

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

Great news, Jon. Fingers are firmly crossed for Lou.

We have only visited on a couple of occasions but have stayed as token residents rather than tourists. Our house is just outside Hamilton and we are quite happy with the area as everything, bar a beach, is available. The Waikato River runs through Ham and provides some lovely walks along its banks. There's also a big lake which is great to walk around, with a kiddies' playing area and cafes etc. I felt that it's a modern city and felt very comfortable there. I did put some pics of Hamilton on here so I'm not sure if you've already seen these.

Hamilton Lake

Photos from our first visit to NZ showing shots around Ham and also Rotorua and Bridal Veil Falls which are easily reachable from Ham. Hamilton is sort of central and most places are within striking distance from there.

These are pics of our house so you can see what you can get just 15 mins. outside the city.

From what I've heard/read, Auckland housing can be very cramped where land is at a premium so many people have sold off part of their sections to build on. As Taffy says, there's more crime (usual in any big city) and there are problems with gangs. No doubt, further out of Auckland it will get better but then you're faced with possibly commuting into the city and traffic can be a big problem Cost of living may be a bit more and housing more expensive.
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

hball is offline Junior Member

I'm biased towards Auckland as it's where we live! And we can't be that wrong if one quarter of the population also chose to live here

Auckland is hugely spread out, and is four cities in one, with lots of different lifestyle choices from the lovely beach suburbs of the North Shore to the natural green bush areas out west. We live to the south in wine making country, and it only takes me twenty minutes to drive to work in East Tamaki, and that twenty minutes is through country roads, not busy motorways. Bliss!

I can't say whether cost of living here is higher than Hamilton, but even if it is to me it is well compensated by the sheer availability of goods and services. And we get all of the top entertainment, who while they may also play Wellington and Christchurch rarely play Hamilton!!!

Blog Entries

Wow, you must be out of the traffic there hball!

The last time I was up there, it took me 6 hours - yes, 6 hours - to get from Auckland airport, to Queen Street (was there for 30 minutes) and back out again! All in all a round trip of about 50 kms! I never want to do that again!!

Auckland certainly does get the best variety of shops, entertainment and services though. All part of the big city thing I guess. Still, it's only just over an hours drive from Hamilton (105kms) if you want those things. I'd rather drive 105kms in an hour, than 6 hours for 50kms, and live with 180,000 people than over 1 million, and not be part of the most hated population in the country (aka JAFA )! Not including you in that of course hball, you're part of this forum so you must be alright!

Let the wars begin
    Taffy

The greatest mistake you can make in life is to be continually fearing you will make one.

Blog Entries

How about Invercargill? That's far enough away from EVERYTHING.
    Mother Bear

hball is offline Junior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Taffy View Post
    Wow, you must be out of the traffic there hball

The last time I was up there, it took me 6 hours - yes, 6 hours - to get from Auckland airport, to Queen Street (was there for 30 minutes) and back out again! All in all a round trip of about 50 kms! I never want to do that again!!!
    Did you have your map up the right way?!!

I have no idea why there is the negativity to Auckland from the rest of NZ - especially as said, one quarter of the population live here. Could it be jealousy that we have it all - including better weather than certain other places...! And as you admitted, while declaring you would never live here, you are quite happy to pop up the motorway to indulge in all of the good things we enjoy and which you can't get where you are!!! Don't see many Aucklanders making the reverse trip!

Banjo.Jon is offline Finger Picking Good!!!

Thanks everyone. I have to admit, Hamilton looks more like our cup of tea. The idea of city life does not appeal and is one of the things we would like to leave behind us. I'll keep you all informed as to what happens tonight.

For those that have followed some of our previous threads.......

.....We are telling the Mother-In-Law this weekend
    Landed in NZ, 13th August 2008

Web http://the-clarks.freehostia.com/

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Banjo.Jon View Post
    .....We are telling the Mother-In-Law this weekend
    Er....OK, Jon. Been nice knowing you.

Taffy, where's the forum First Aid kit kept?

Looking on the optimistic side, she may surprise us all and offer to help you pack. Yes?
    Mother Bear

Blog Entries

My map was fine, it was the traffic jams on every single road that was the problem! I've never seen traffic like it, not even in London, and there didn't seem to be any cause to it either. Probably that bloody hball on a shopping trip or something

I said it's just over an hours drive if 'YOU' (speaking to the crowd there) wanted that kind of thing. Me - I refuse to go to Auckland for anything, can't stand the place myself! Was only there to pick up some friends from the airport and take them to the bank on Queen Street to open their account. Strangely enough, they also vowed never to live in Auckland.

I'm not a city person though. I'm sure Auckland is great if you like that kind of thing. I also wouldn't want to live in Wellington or Christchurch either. As Jon says, I came here to escape that

These places must hold some appeal I guess!

Good luck with the M-I-L Jon, I'm sure you'll need it!!
    Taffy

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast