Thread: Bicycles?

zummerzet_lou is offline your flexible friend
    Blog Entries

Default Bicycles?

Have read loads of information and ended up completely confused.

We are just starting to get our affairs in order, and trying to go through our belongs to decide what comes with us.

I know garden tools have to be cleaned to remove ALL traces of soil and vegetation.

What happens regarding bicycles? do they need to be so scrupulously cleaned? Or are you just not allowed to bring them with you?

TIA,

Lou

sleepy is offline Junior Member

I've seen a thing somewhere where there was a haulage type movers company that would ship bikes out to NZ, so it can be done ... No idea about the cleaning thing though.

EDIT : found it :

"Visit your local bike shop and blag / borrow / steal a cardboard bike delivery box that is the right size. Remove pedals and (if you can) take the handle bars off. Wrap bubble wrap round the frame to pad it as much as you can - basically wrap everything. Then fill the box to prevent the bike moving around. Then tape it all shut.

Also, remember that NZ customs are really picky about bikes and outdoor gear - make sure the bike has been absolutely scrubbed and disinfected before you pack it. If you are bringing it through customs they will almost definitely ask you to open the box and let them inspect the bike - so be prepared for that."

"Our shippers said to make sure outdoor gear was not only really clean but smells of disinfectant."

"Our shippers told us to clean they tyres with car dashboard cleaner as it gives them a "new rubber" sheen that fools customs into thinking the tyres are new"

"It is possible to bring bikes as luggage on the plane.You can purchase special bags for this purpose from good cycle shops.They should be able to help re.the amount of dissasembly required to fit the bike in the bag.Normally removing wheels,pedals,and turning handlebars sideways letting the pressure out of the tyres etc.I don't know about other N.Z.Airports but Auckland has a cycle reassembly area with clamps bolted to the wall to hold the frame whilst you reassemble them."

"If you are flying them, deflate the tyres so they don't go pop. And you can still use a cardboard box from a bike shop for shipping on a plane"
    Last edited by sleepy; 12-07-2007 at 12:10 AM.

Taffy is offline He who shall be ignored
    Blog Entries

Great bit of info there Sleepy!!

Can't say I've ever seen those assembly points. But anyway, as stated, you can bring 'em, but you better clean 'em! And also possibly be prepared to fork out for MAF to clean them again.
    Taffy

The greatest mistake you can make in life is to be continually fearing you will make one.

sleepy is offline Junior Member

Apparently the bike assembly point is just outside the terminus near the bus and taxi rank.

Look out for it next time your there

Taffy is offline He who shall be ignored
    Blog Entries

Ahhhh right. I think the bus and taxi rank are at the side of the airport, so unless you want a bus or a taxi you'll probably miss it.
    Taffy

The greatest mistake you can make in life is to be continually fearing you will make one.

Blog Entries

Thanks for that sleepey .. sounds as though should a goer.

Was a little worried as only bought my new bike a few months ago and would hate to have to leave it behind. Am planning on just shipping it in the container with our other belongings, but can certainly scrub it so that it gleams :-)

Lou

Banjo.Jon is offline Finger Picking Good!!!

hmmm, I can see where this is going. replace "but can certainly scrub it so that it gleams :-)", with "Jon can certainly scrub it so that it gleams :-)".

Does this mean I can buy my new bike now then?
    Landed in NZ, 13th August 2008

Web http://the-clarks.freehostia.com/

kokopeli is offline God like figure

We shipped two adults bikes and three kids bikes from the UK in our container this year. I scrubbed them down with bleach and hot water then gave them a good ol' blast with the jet washer. I turned the handlebarsand removed the pedals. Tape the pedals and any other bits you remove to the bike with gaffer tape. We did, but still lost a set of stabilisers from our little girl's bike. Our packers didn't bother with any bubble wrap on the bikes, although they did make sure they were dry before they boxed them. No-one wants a mouldy saddle. Euurrrggghh!

MAF will look closely for mud and grass on the wheels, tyres, frame and pedals. Basically, anywhere that mud and debris can collect. Don't forget to clean under the saddle and in the end of the hollow tube where the front forks join the headtube!

Our bikes got through without any problems, so it can be done :)

Blog Entries

thanks for that .... sounds promising.

Just our VISA to worry about then ... and the house sale, and telling my folks ... ;-)

Lou