Thread: Cedar shoe trees, etc.--Can I bring them in through customs?

KiwiHopeful is offline God like figure

Default Cedar shoe trees, etc.--Can I bring them in through customs?

I have cedar shoe trees and cedar pieces that will be packed with my clothes in the container, as well as some cedar pieces that will go in my suitcases to keep everything smelling fresh on the 3 week tour before I get on the plane.

I searched the customs site and I know it has to be declared. However, will there be any problems bringing it through at the airport? Has anyone else brought them with them through customs?

Thanks!
    EOI Submitted: July 20, 2006
    EOI Selected: August 2, 2006
    ITA Received: October 12, 2006
    ITA Submitted: February 2, 2007
    Migrant Levy Paid & Visas Shipped: June 6, 2007
    Arrived in NZ: July 26th, 2007
    Leaving NZ: June 1st, 2008

selchie is offline All Knowing Deity
    Blog Entries

It seems to me that furniture-quality wood products are OK. At least that's the impression I got when I cruised through the MAF "banned items" list. They might even allow kiln-dried lumber.

You could start here for some bedtime reading: Ministry of Agriculture & Forestry, New Zealand

Just traipsing through that site, I found this quote, which was about plant products which were even more suspect than cedar: "Please note these items are NOT necessarily prohibited, they require inspection. In many instances a declaration as to the state of manufacture may lift this requirement. Our inspections are generally to determine cleanliness and the presence or otherwise of insects or prohibited items" (source page: Personal Effects). It sounds like you need to declare wood products.
    If men had wings and bore black feathers, few of them would be clever enough to be crows.
    - Rev. Henry Ward Beecher, mid-1800s

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

The last time we visited NZ we took some wooden items through with us and went into the 'something to declare' queue. The officer gave them a good looking over with a magnifying glass (looking for worm holes etc. no doubt) but then handed them back to us without comment.

I think the key points are that the wooden items are free of any suspicious holes or nooks and crannies where beasties can hide out and then to declare the items, don't try to sneak them through, just in case. They make it very clear that you'll get stung if you do.
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

kokopeli is offline God like figure

There's a good chance that your shoe trees wouldn't actually be inspected unless you declared them. Even then, I don't think they would be a high priority for MAF. I reckon professional packers would wrap them in paper and put them in a box marked 'Clothing' with other miscellaneous wardrobe items.

KiwiHopeful is offline God like figure

Thanks Koko and MB ... I tried searching through the MAF site myself and *bleh*. You make a good point about the nooks and crannies. I have little cedar balls (oh, grow up!) for my suitcase, so I'll sort out the best looking ones to take with me.
    EOI Submitted: July 20, 2006
    EOI Selected: August 2, 2006
    ITA Received: October 12, 2006
    ITA Submitted: February 2, 2007
    Migrant Levy Paid & Visas Shipped: June 6, 2007
    Arrived in NZ: July 26th, 2007
    Leaving NZ: June 1st, 2008

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by KiwiHopeful View Post
    ....... as well as some cedar pieces that will go in my suitcases to keep everything smelling fresh on the 3 week tour before I get on the plane.
    They help keep the moths away as well. I've got some cedar hoops to put over our clothes hangers (plus a lot of other things) as the moths here carry giant knife and fork sets.
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.