Thread: Help on documents needed quick!!

Dawn is offline All Knowing Deity
    Blog Entries

Default Help on documents needed quick!!

Need to bring this up again because we are addressing it right now! I have ordered a copy of my marriage certificate (£26) because I must have burned it, I have also ordered a copy of my divorce decree absolute (£10). We were wondering does Gary have to have a copy of his marriage certificate and his divorce documents as well. He seems to think not as it doesn't involve a change of name. I think so because it's all proof of his identity and I think that if we get to apply for PR he will need the certificates. Does anyone know for sure? Do you need copies of all this stuff if you apply for WP? Do they check up on your past so thoroughly then? Also what other proof of ID should I photocopy? Obviously doing the birth certs, driving licences, etc but talking about bills and bank statements and stuff? Which should I copy and how far back should we go? Bear in mind that we are now living in a rental and have been for 8 months so not a lot of history here. Would they need to see evidence of our old address? We lived there for the 4 years previously. And what do they need this for?

We need to go and get the certified copies done at the magistrates court next week so any help by then appreciated.
    Passionate about the unfathomableness opportunities of kiwi-a-gogo-land

Welshgirl is offline Super Moderator
    Blog Entries

To be honest mate, personally I would take copies of everything, just in case. I'm pretty (but not 100%) sure that Gary won't need copies of his marriage and divorce papers as it didn't affect his surname, but I wouldn't stake my life on it. Ours was so long ago now, I can't remember much of what we had to provide. Get as much info together as you can. I don't think we brought over any bank statements, mortgage statements, etc, but to be on the safe side, I would make sure you bring copies of your divorce papers, copies of Gary's (just in case), and any paperwork from the last, say, 3-4 months (originals, if possible), then if you need them you can get them copied over here.

Sorry I can't be more help
    Last edited by Welshgirl; 13-06-2007 at 09:29 PM.

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

Hi Dawn,

I would agree with WG on bringing everything 'legal-related' with you. I can find very little on the subject so far, although heaps of people must have gone through this.

I read something about NZIS checking whether you're legally divorced to prevent issues like previous partners making any claim to residency etc. in NZ so they need to ensure that ties are well and truly severed.

I'm sure it'd be a lot easier to get the papers in the UK before you leave than have to do it from NZ should it be required, so well worth the effort.
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

Blog Entries

Yeah, picked up a legal copy of my divorce papers yesterday and my marriage certificate came this morning. You know it's really odd, I don't even like touching it! Wow, such a strong feeling. I'll have to deal with that one I think, when I have time that is!

I have all the legals sorted and ready for certifying it was more the other stuff I was thinking about. Bills from this address and stuff. What do they need to see that for? I now it proves that you weren't in debt and a reliable tenant or whatever but I thought Taffy said that you start afresh with your credit history anyway so why should it matter? It just seems a pain to get a load of bills photocopied and cart them over the world with us. Gas bills, electric bills, water bills, council tax? Don't have rent statements because we paid the landlord 8 months up front cash.

Help?

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

Could it be that you may need them as sort of references e.g. with landlords to prove you're a good payer or something like that? There's also this thing about proving to NZIS that you've been in a stable relationship for a minimum of 12 months, even if you're married. You can use bills and stuff for that if you've got both names on there.

Just a guess.
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by MotherBear View Post
    There's also this thing about proving to NZIS that you've been in a stable relationship for a minimum of 12 months, even if you're married. You can use bills and stuff for that if you've got both names on there.

Just a guess.
    Well, Gary and I have Poppy and his name is on her birth certificate, she is 5 and a half so hopefully that would prove we've been together for at least 6 years. But some people could be pedantic I suppose!! I'll get them done anyway. Surely these don't need certifying though, just photocopying?