Thread: Dual NTSC-PAL TV's

KiwiHopeful is offline God like figure

Default Dual NTSC-PAL TV's

I know TV in NZ is broadcast on the PAL standard. However, as I've been reading up on this, it appears that there are TV's available that will accept both PAL and NTSC signals--not just over-the-air but through the component inputs.

Is such a creature available in NZ? Looking at the DES website, I can't find mention of anything like that, though I doubt it would be part of the specs on the website anyway.

<on edit> I found a converter for NTSC-->PAL on Amazon.com for $30, so I ordered one. Once I get a chance to try it out, I'll report back! ;)
    Last edited by KiwiHopeful; 11-06-2007 at 08:23 AM.
    EOI Submitted: July 20, 2006
    EOI Selected: August 2, 2006
    ITA Received: October 12, 2006
    ITA Submitted: February 2, 2007
    Migrant Levy Paid & Visas Shipped: June 6, 2007
    Arrived in NZ: July 26th, 2007
    Leaving NZ: June 1st, 2008

kokopeli is offline God like figure

Whether UK and US tvs will work in NZ crops up every now and then. For what it's worth, we brought a JVC widescreen tv (PAL) from the UK. We get a picture, but no sound on NZ terrestrial. Something to do with the sound signal being transmitted on a different frequency. We get sound and vision on NZSky and Freeview. Don't know whether you'll be able to watch Sky on an NTSC tv, although I can't believe that SKY go to the trouble of transmitting one signal for PAL and another for NTSC.

If you bring a dvd player, remember that it might not play NZ region discs. We had to buy another dvd - you should see the number of wires coming from the back of our tv/satelite/freeview/dvd1/dvd2/vhs/surroundsound combo. Not to mention the bank of remote controllers......

Yeah, I know about the DVD thing ... I'm bringing mine, though I could really leave it if I wanted to, since I'm bringing a laptop and a PC that are both DVD-equipped.

I've been poking around a little bit more and found that Bond and Bond provide more in-depth specs and most of their TV's list multi-system tuners. Maybe I can get Mrs. KH to go for this baby! I'll invite you over to watch the World Cup, Koko.

kokopeli is offline God like figure

Now that's what I call a BIG screen. Bond & Bond are usually quite expensive. We managed to persuade the lady in Powerstore to give us a big discount and got the five year warranties for peanuts when we bought our white goods. I don't know if Kiwis usually haggle 'cos she said she was exhausted by the time we'd finished.

Will you be here in time for the rugby in September? By the look of the All Blacks against France, I think it's a done deal. We're hoping to get tickets for the ABs against South Africa in July. I only managed one international at Twickenham in the UK - a lame Six Nations game against Italy the first or second year they joined the fray. Been to a couple of Crusaders games here - not quite the same passion you get at a Premiership footie match, but a great night out and only $50 for two front row seats!

From the looks of things, we will be arriving in late July or early August.

I would definitely put my money on the AB's ... not just to be a 'homer' either. (Do they have that expression in NZ or the UK?)

I couldn't believe the cost of tickets to see the Crusaders. And if I recall correctly, they have good prices for kids tickets, too. I'm used to paying much more than that for Red Sox tickets--when I can get them--and forget about getting (American) football or hockey tix! I will definitely be taking in some games.