Thread: Anyone heard of this problem: not being allowed to take possession of your container?

KiwiHopeful is offline God like figure

Question Anyone heard of this problem: not being allowed to take possession of your container?

A story got to us in a rather roundabout way ... My wife's aunt's friend's daughter and family (to say nothing of the dog!) moved to NZ. As the story goes, they loved it but they ending up leaving because NZIS wouldn't let them take possession of the stuff they had shipped over from the US--I believe it was a shipping container full of all their worldly goods.

Does this sound plausible? More over, what in the world could have been the cause? I only ask b/c I don't want to have any surprises of that sort myself.
    EOI Submitted: July 20, 2006
    EOI Selected: August 2, 2006
    ITA Received: October 12, 2006
    ITA Submitted: February 2, 2007
    Migrant Levy Paid & Visas Shipped: June 6, 2007
    Arrived in NZ: July 26th, 2007
    Leaving NZ: June 1st, 2008

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

Hi KH,

Is there any more to this story e.g. what visa they went to NZ on, whether they had to pay GST on their shipment and maybe refused, whether they went on a Visit Visa and intended to look for work and then apply for a WP or PR?

There must have been a reason why NZIS refused them their shipment, although I find it strange that NZIS themselves would be involved in this. Usually it's MAF or customs that would refuse to release it as they are the ones that deal with such things.
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

Sadly, I don't have any other details. I've speculated myself that it was a working holiday or something like that, but I don't really know. The part about NZIS is, again, fifth-hand, so it could have been some other agency. But the gist of the story is they planned to stay but had to come back b/c of not being able to get their stuff.

My feeling is that if no one here has heard of such a thing happening with anyone who was otherwise on the up-and-up, then there must have been some other circumstance.

Taffy is offline He who shall be ignored
    Blog Entries

NZIS wouldn't stop anyone claiming their container, it's nothing to do with them. You can ship stuff on any visa, but some you will have to pay GST on the shipment. MAF and Customs are the only people who would have prevented collection of a container, and if it was them, the most likely reasons would have been that the container arrived with some kind of insect or bug in it, or if all their furniture was made of wood or other material not permitted in to the country. Even then, I expect they would have just sprayed the container to kill it all off, or requested they remove items not allowed.

So, in short, I don't see it happening really.
    Taffy

The greatest mistake you can make in life is to be continually fearing you will make one.

kokopeli is offline God like figure

NZIS wouldn't get involved in clearing household effects - it's not within their remit and they don't have the staff or facilities to do it.
    MAF will hold stuff so it can be cleaned or if it's not permitted into NZ because it's a bio-hazard.
    NZ Customs will hold stuff until the import duty has been paid (if any) or if there are prohibited items or contraband, in which case, the owners will be interviewed and/or arrested.

If this is a true story, my money is on a rogue shipping agent or moving company - we already know that they threaten all sorts in the name of extorting money from the unwary. People, stand up, say no and refuse to pay any more than you have to

Quote Originally Posted by kokopeli View Post
    If this is a true story, my money is on a rogue shipping agent or moving company - we already know that they threaten all sorts in the name of extorting money from the unwary. People, stand up, say no and refuse to pay any more than you have to
    Fortunately, the fellow who is handling our move on the US end works for the same company as my mother ... his desk is right down the hall, so if *anything* goes wrong, I'm telling my mommy!

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by kokopeli View Post
    f this is a true story, my money is on a rogue shipping agent or moving company - we already know that they threaten all sorts in the name of extorting money from the unwary.
    This is a very good point, Kokopeli. I've heard of people having their shipment held to ransom because they refused to pay some of the moving companies in NZ extra money they weren't entitled to. It's a great scam they've got going and one I can't fathom out why something's not being done about it. People are coerced into handing over hundreds of dollars to retrieve their belongings.

Wasn't there someone on here who had this happen to them? Moggy? It rings a bell with me.
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

Quote Originally Posted by MotherBear View Post
    This is a very good point, Kokopeli. I've heard of people having their shipment held to ransom because they refused to pay some of the moving companies in NZ extra money they weren't entitled to. It's a great scam they've got going and one I can't fathom out why something's not being done about it. People are coerced into handing over hundreds of dollars to retrieve their belongings.
    Sadly, the same thing happens here in the US, too. The moving company shows up, unloads some stuff, then the 'manager' shows up and says "There's a problem." It's usually to the tune of $1000 or so ... just enough to make it worthwhile for the scammer, and little enough that most people just pay it. That's why it's important not to use "Joe's Moving" but to instead go with a reputable company.

(I won't say which one my mom works for, since the point isn't to plug her company. I'll just say it is one of the major national carriers.)

kokopeli is offline God like figure

Sadly even the 'reputable companies' are at it. The Moving Company tried to rip us off over MAF fees and threatened to withold our gear unless we paid. I refused to deal with them, made the shipping agent put my name on the manifest and cleared it myself.

$180 for a truck to bring the container from the docks and take it away again.
    $180 for three big lads to unload it.
    $150 MAF fees for the inspection at our house.
    $2000 refund from the shipping company.

Sorted.

That's really too bad. It's horrible that these companies try to take advantage of people like that. I guess they know how vulnerable & emotional people feel at these times, so it's a perfect opportunity for them to rip people off.