Thread: Quarantine

ShellBda is offline Oh Masterful One

Default Quarantine

Hello,

I have asked a few questions in regards to brining my little dog Ceilidh to New Zealand but, as usual, the Government information site regarding the transport of animals just confused me even more.

I had come to the conclusion (right or wrong?) that dogs from the UK did not have to go into quarantine in NZ as long as they passed the health checks (and had the required shots etc) before they travelled to New Zealand. This was due to the UK being rabies free. Well, Bermuda is also rabies free and is a British Dependent territory.

Even though Bermuda is not on the "list", would this be an area that is open to negotation or interpretation with the NZ authorities prior to travel? Or have I completed misunderstood the 40 odd pages that I read through?

Thanks,
    Shell

Taffy is offline He who shall be ignored
    Blog Entries

Hmmm, their lists are usually pretty thourough, so if Bermuda isnt on the list, then quarantine is most likely going to happen. I think that MAF would be the best people to talk to about it though, instead of a rambling fool like me
    Taffy

The greatest mistake you can make in life is to be continually fearing you will make one.

Welshgirl is offline Super Moderator
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Taffy View Post
    ............ instead of a rambling fool like me
    Quite true

Perhaps MAF have never had anyone emigrating to NZ from Bermuda before, so didn't think to put you on the list. I mean c'mon, you are only a little rock somewhere in the Atlantic Ocean

Definitely worth contacting them and finding out, and making sure your pooch is up to date with all its vaccinations.

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

On here , if you scroll down to 8.3 under Eligibility for Importation, it mentions Bermuda. I get the impression that Ceilidh wouldn't need quarantine if she complies with all the necessary rigmarole.

I find the site pretty confusing because it talks about the same countries on here but then states under
    PART C. CLEARANCE PROCEDURE
    12 BIOSECURITY DIRECTION
    that the animals do have to go into quarantine. I haven't managed to find anything on Oman yet, which I know does have rabies in the interior. Will have to get hubster to find a job in back in Qatar or the UAE.
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

ShellBda is offline Oh Masterful One

Hello MB,

Received the response below from Biosecurity New Zealand:

Dear Michele

Thank you for your email.

As you have already discovered, Bermuda is included in our import health standard for dogs and cats from specified countries. These requirements include rabies vaccination, rabies antibody testing and post arrival quarantine (among other tests and treatments required). Quarantine is mandatory and must be completed in one of the approved facilities.

The animal must be sealed in the cage prior to its departure from the country of export and that seal should not be broken until the animal arrives in New Zealand and is in quarantine. You will need to check with the airline regarding flight arrangements - as long as the animal remains in the sealed cage we do not specify where on the plane it must travel.

Kind regards

I honestly don't think that I can seal Ceilidh up in a cage for over 26 hours straight! I would rather leave her here with somene who will love and care for her than put who through what will be very tramatic for her. As heartbreaking as it would be for me. She jumps at loud and unexpected noises and you can just imagine the noises she will experience over such a long period of time on planes and in the airports; not to mention that if she runs out of water no one can open the cage to give her more! Very strange but I really don't think she would survive the trip. She is far too delicate.

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

Reading from the first link I provided (and which now won't open for me although I can open it from outside the forum ) it says:

PART C: CLEARANCE PROCEDURE
    10 BIOSECURITY CLEARANCE
    10.1 An inspector under the Biosecurity Act 1993 will examine the consignment on arrival in New Zealand. Providing the documentation is in order, the seal of the container is intact, and no ticks are found on the animal, in the bedding or container a biosecurity clearance will be issued. NOTE: There is a fee associated with issuing a biosecurity clearance.

As I said above, I find the site very contradictive unless, of course, I didn't read it right. I must admit to just scanning it quickly as there's a lot of stuff on there, but there was a definite difference between what was says on the first link compared to what it says on the second one where you do need to put your pet into quarantine and yet the countries appear to be the same.
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.