Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: power tool in NZ

johnty is offline Senior Member

Default power tool in NZ

hi all
    just wondered if anyone knows about power tools in NZ .i know its the same voltage in houses , but do they operate the same 110 volt system for site tools .
    i would hate to move all my 110 v stuff over and find it no good .has anyone come across this.
    Cheers Johnty

kokopeli is offline God like figure

Hi Johnty,

NZ runs a 240V electrical system, so you would need to use a step-down transformer. I personally would bring them, but it's your choice. There are some fantastic tool shops in NZ. Hayes Hardware in Invercargill is reportedly the biggest in Australasia. They've even got Burt Munro's original Indian motorcycles on display if you're into that sort of thing. That store in particular sells some first rate professional-grade tools.

Kiwis talk about the No 8 wire mentality - they have a 'fix it' attitude, so even small towns tend to have a good hardware shop. You'll also find Mitre 10 and Mega Mitre 10 stores just about everywhere, although they tend to stock run of the mill tools, rather than topline.

You'll find most of the US and European brands of power tools in NZ, so spares are usually available. And there's always the internet if not......

cheers kokopeli
    would you know if on site i.e construction you have to use a transformer to step down to 110 volt,in the uk its compulsary.
    glad to here about the tool shops. would love to build out there .we do most of the renovation on our house ourselves labour prices in the uk gone mad(?250 a day for plumbers)
    But i keep hearing tradesmen do ok out there to.not long now till i find out
    all the best
    Johnty

Hi Johnty, Mike brought all his tools over with him (hmph took up half bloody container too!) Mike's a carpenter. All his tools work fine over here, I will ask him tonight about the transformer thing

Carolynne

would you know if on site i.e construction you have to use a transformer to step down to 110 volt,in the uk its compulsary
    Hi Johnty, I'm not a tradesman, so wouldn't want to give you a definate answer, but...

...In a quick stroll round our subdivision, I saw dozens of builders using power tools. Most of them looked to be 240V and I didn't see any step-downs. There's nothing on the OSH website (NZ equivalent of HSE) and none of the online tool hire places mention transformers or 110V equipment. I'm sure one of the othe rmembers will set us straight though

As for building, the big problme at the moment is that land prices here are crazy. My general impression is that the housing stock in NZ is pretty poor, especially the older houses. That leaves plenty of scope for renovations if you've got the time and skills. We're renting at the moment, but are looking for an older place we can knock down and start again......

Taffy is offline He who shall be ignored
    Blog Entries

I can't say I've ever seen anyone use 110v equipment here either. Is it something you imported from the USA johnty? Sounds odd that the UK would sell that voltage, being a 240v country?

I know very little about professional tools!
    Taffy

The greatest mistake you can make in life is to be continually fearing you will make one.

Hi Taffy, The UK Health & Safety Act makes it illegal for contractors to use 240V equipment on construction sites. The law changed a while back because there is a much greater chance of serious injury if you cut through a 240V power cable.

UK contractors have to use 110V gear on site. They have to use a step-down transformer - usually a big yellow box that weighs a ton. Fewer people get electrocuted because they're all off work with bad backs.:

Blog Entries

Really? I wouldn't have thought it would have made much difference, with voltage only being the carrier. Is there some kind of restriction on the current too? After all, any one who's done any electrical work knows " It's not the voltage, it's the current that kills! ".

Perhaps my electrical training is outdated
    Taffy

The greatest mistake you can make in life is to be continually fearing you will make one.

thank for your replys.
    maybe they dont do 110 volt on site in NZ (is this the real reason so many trades are on the skill shortage ha)
    but as you say the transformers a very heavy and take up room ,we seem to end up with both voltages ,240 v for our domestic work and 110 for site.
    kokopeli, we think we will end up with a do'er up'er prices have gone mad but the same is happening over here to .small plots that the builders and armys of property developers find that they can't cram 2 or 3 houses on, they sell on for about ?90,000 to ?100,000. you could get a single dwelling with a small garden on .
    I dont think i will be allowed to build for some time, seem to think you have to get some cert to do that.(might be wrong, and dont know if that would be if you bought a house and had it stood up then you finish it i.e spark it plumb it board it 2nd fix carpentry .i will have to find that out)
    and Taffy you are right in that its the amps that kill but the voltage has to be enougth to push it through you .

Blog Entries

Ahh, that would be why the carrier kills
    Taffy

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast