Thread: Plane Tickets

Bermy Girl is offline Senior Member

Default Plane Tickets

Okay, I've read a few bits and pieces here and there about plane tickets, but I need some clarification. When we fly over to NZ to move there, we will be flying in on British passports, so we get a six month visa. While we are there during this six months we are planning to find jobs, get WP's and then put our EOI's in and yes, we will have more then enough points with a job offer to do so. Should we fly over on one way tickets? Should we purchase an extra flight to Australia that we can cancel later? Or do we just need to show copies of bank statements showing that we have enough funds to purchase return tickets? Or do we have to have return flights to a country in which we have the right of abode, either Bermuda or the UK?

Cheers Can't wait! Seems so far away, but I want to make sure we've done all our research and have all our ducks in a row!

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

Sounds like someone's a tad excited.

It appears you just need a ticket to an on-going destination i.e. back out of NZ. It doesn't need to be back to Bermuda because tourists often go on to Oz or elsewhere when they leave NZ. So, having a cheapo onward ticket to Oz should be fine and the cheapest option. You would need to have a visa to visit Oz, but in the unlikely event you're asked about this on entering NZ, just say that you'll get it in NZ nearer the time. Just don't forget that, to be entering NZ on VVs you need to behave as though you're on holiday, not staying (hopefully) permanently, so leave the kitchen sink behind.

I have heard about this 'proving you have enough funds to pay for an onward ticket' thing before, but I'm not sure of its validity. I'll have to do more checking.

Edited to add: the general opinion seems to be that you would need an ongoing ticket. Occasionally there's conflicting opinions on this, but it's better to be safe than sorry.
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

Bermy Girl is offline Senior Member

A slight understatement...very subtle MB...I'm bouncing off the walls with anticipation...only a year to wait...

Great news about the plane tickets though, makes things a lot cheaper for us! Now we can fly to NZ on our frequent flyer miles and just purchase one ticket to Aus.

cath jones is offline Junior Member

Default Fat Cow

BRUMMY GIRL
    CHECK OUT ba.com
    RETURN FLIGHTS SEEM TO BE CHEAPER THAN ONE WAY
    eg flying 14/11/07--return 14/05/08 = ?1880- business class.

welwynrose is offline Member

is it easy enough to cancel & get a refund on the unused portion of your return ticket or is it just simplier to get an cheap onwards to Oz ticket

Dawn is offline All Knowing Deity
    Blog Entries

Welwynrose if you're gonna get on tickets to OZ remember to get the visitors visas as well. AirNZ wouldn't let us on the plane at Heathrow because we didn't have them, they made us buy return tickets instead at a cost of ?2500.
    Passionate about the unfathomableness opportunities of kiwi-a-gogo-land

Quote Originally Posted by Dawn View Post
    Welwynrose if you're gonna get on tickets to OZ remember to get the visitors visas as well. AirNZ wouldn't let us on the plane at Heathrow because we didn't have them, they made us buy return tickets instead at a cost of ?2500.
    Dawn - can you still "cash in" the return part of the ticket when you offically decide you aren't going back to the UK

keeweegal is offline Kosher Kiwi
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by welwynrose View Post
    Dawn - can you still "cash in" the return part of the ticket when you offically decide you aren't going back to the UK
    I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm sure this will depend on the airline and/or travel agent you book through. Make sure you check the t's & c's!

Sal
    Inside me is a skinny woman crying to get out but I can usually shut her up with cake!

Dawn is offline All Knowing Deity
    Blog Entries

You're right Sal, they'll only refund our tickets on proof of a WP or PR. Ba"*"!*ds!
    Passionate about the unfathomableness opportunities of kiwi-a-gogo-land

Quote Originally Posted by Dawn View Post
    You're right Sal, they'll only refund our tickets on proof of a WP or PR. Ba"*"!*ds!
    I hope your work permit comes through quick enough for you to get your refund Dawn