Thread: Anyone Moving to Wellington & Need Stuff?

solur is offline Junior Member

Default Anyone Moving to Wellington & Need Stuff?

Dear all,

I just joined and wish I had known about this site earlier. My husband and I moved to Wellington from the US about a year ago. We really liked it here, but since we just had a baby, we find that we're missing family and friends. So it's back we go before the wee bub grows up without knowing the family.

Which brings me to some questions I'm hoping someone can help me with. What's the best way to sell your stuff that you bought when you first got to NZ? I've tried Trademe, and I'll keep trying. But I'm hoping someone out there might be moving to Wellington and might need - a car, microwave, TV, DVD, or washer & dryer? Everything, except the car, is less than a year old. And everything, including the car, works great. It's kind of a pain to try to sell everything bit by bit. Is there anyone out there that needs a ready made set up? (You might even like our 2 bedroom apartment which has a great view of downtown.)

I'd really appreciate any thoughts about selling the car. We've got listings on Trademe and Autotrader. Does anyone else have good ideas? I'm not sure too many Kiwis are into buying used cars at this moment. Maybe someone moving here (whose currency is a bit stronger) may see it as less of a big expense.

I'm a bit stressed about the whole thing. And now with a little one, I don't know if I have the patience or time. Please also let me know if there is a better forum to post my questions. Or is there any way to post stuff on this website for anyone who might be interested? Or can e-mail directly at bfcavanaugh@gmail.com for more details, photos, etc.

I would really appreciate some good advice.

Thanks,
    Reina
    Last edited by solur; 08-05-2007 at 09:11 PM.

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

Reina. Welcome to the forum.

It's such a pity you feel you have to go home after enjoying NZ for a year. Missing family and a network of friends is one of the major issues that migrants have to face and many don't realise just how much until they are thousands of miles away or until something major happens in their lives that they want to share.

As for selling your items, many thousands of people use TradeMe and usually get a result unless the stuff is considered to be overpriced. It depends how badly you need to sell it all as to whether you want to consider reducing the price. TradeMe is one site where people go to look for a bargain and hitting the right price has a knack to it. It's difficult trying to sell almost new things because you want the best price, but people seem to want to pay lower prices for used things otherwise they feel they could almost go out and buy them new anyway.

I would have thought NZers would be particularly interested in used cars because not too many of them can afford to buy new. I've heard it said that you can sell anything on that site, so it's a bit of a concern that you haven't managed to sell the items or the car.

I'm sorry I'm not much help and hope that you can find someone who will take the items off you for a decent price. This forum doesn't really deal with buying and selling or we would be inundated, particularly with opportunist trade adverts and all the immigration posts would be lost underneath them all .

Good luck with your life back in the US .
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

LilAmy is offline God like figure

Hello,

Hope you're move back goes nice and smoothly. Am sorry to hear things havent worked out for you but at least you know now and can make the change.

I would advertise on Jobs Auckland Jobs Flat House Free Classifieds New Zealand (gumtree website) as well for your things. Lots of folks just moving to NZ use that site as well. Pop it in the furniture section as well as the rentals page as a lot of rentals are unfurnished.

You may even want to contact people renting unfurnished places to see if they want to buy things off you???

Good luck with it all!

Taffy is offline He who shall be ignored
    Blog Entries

Jobs Auckland Jobs Flat House Free Classifieds New Zealand? Thats one hell of a title!

An ebay owned venture too!
    Taffy

The greatest mistake you can make in life is to be continually fearing you will make one.

LilAmy is offline God like figure

Tell me about the title, I just popped in the URL and it automatically changed it to that one!!! Weird....