Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Yippee!!

missvee is offline Senior Member

Default Yippee!!

We are here. Have just about got my breath back. I am writing this from my hotel room in Auckland and we are off to Whakatane tomorrow.
    It has been a bit of a whirlwind as it was only just over a week ago I got the visas. Talk about too much to do and too little time.
    Flew from Heathrow were they tried to rob me of a few hundred pounds because I was over the limit, (suitcase, not drunk).
    It was a very, very long flight. We had 3 stops, groan. Got here at 4am. My boyfriend ordered us a taxi to pick us up at the airport, bless. Poor little Indian taxi driver struggled under the weight of the suitcases, I had to help him. I can truly say I have had nothing but helpfulness and smiles from people, they can't do enough for you. Met a couple from Australia who were very old, had a good chat. They introduced themselves, Maud and Dusty Rhodes, yes that was his actual name. I am going to sign out now. I haven't been outside or seen daylight yet so I am going to get some fresh air.
    Chat soon Vee

Glenda is offline All Knowing Deity

Hi Vee, welcome to New Zealand!

So good to hear you got here safely and without mishap, bar the overweight suitcase. I've just had a UK visitor who argued and got away with an overweight suitcase (full of Haribo, Fruit Pastilles and Minstrals for the kids and a big box of chocs for me!) ... mind you the weight broke the suitcase handle!

Hope you will be soon waking up to nice weather and not the rain we have here! Have fun!

:)
    Glenda
    In NZ since June 2005
    Better to light a candle than to curse the darkness - Chinese proverb

LilAmy is offline God like figure

Hi Vee,

Welcome to NZ.

Glad your flight went OK. We had the same problem with the baggage as well but managed to get round it by putting extra into our handluggage a whole extra 10ks can you believe.

Hope you have a pleasant journey to WHK. We were up BOP way at the weekend and the weather was bliss.

Wish I was up there now as Wellington has rain and wind and its freeeezing down here.....

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

Hi Vee,

Saw you signed in yesterday and was hoping it was because you were safely in NZ. Congratulations on making it thus far. Hope your trip to Whakatane goes well and your new home is just how you'd like it to be. Rest up, relax and psyche yourself up for all the good times that will be coming your way.

Quote Originally Posted by missvee View Post
    I can truly say I have had nothing but helpfulness and smiles from people, they can't do enough for you.
    This is what we found, Vee. So totally different from what we experience here. Just had a right morning of it, trying to find a decent pair of shoes. I'm sure the shop assistants wished I would just go away - unhelpful and sullen, really didn't want to know. Quite different to how it was in NZ and I miss that.

Quote Originally Posted by missvee
    They introduced themselves, Maud and Dusty Rhodes, yes that was his actual name.
    I love it. Should have been Sandy and Dusty Rhodes, though.
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

Default Whakatane

Arrived in Whakatane yesterday in darkness after a tiring journey, I drove! it was beautiful driving down but took ages to get out of Auckland, sorry guys but I don't like the city, too busy.
    Arrived at the motel , which has a hot tub! The landlady ordered me in and then to bed but nicely. She was right and I slept from *pm till 3 am then 5am then 7am. Feel so much better. Going to see the sights today. Can't wait. Will let you know more later.
    Thanks for the welcome and good wishes everyone. Kiwis aregreat.
    Vee

LilAmy is offline God like figure

What a great landlady!

I bet you feel more refreshed after chilling out. Most motels have hottubs in the rooms or in the complex which is just great after a few hours drive.

Dawn is offline All Knowing Deity
    Blog Entries

Great news Vee!! Amazing really! It seems to have happened quickly for you, a bit of a whirlwind really. Maybe it's better that way as you don't get time to think about things much you just have to get on and do it.

Looking forward to hearing all about your thoughts and experiences. 8)
    Passionate about the unfathomableness opportunities of kiwi-a-gogo-land

selchie is offline All Knowing Deity
    Blog Entries

Good omens lie in your first days. Best wishes for y'all.
    If men had wings and bore black feathers, few of them would be clever enough to be crows.
    - Rev. Henry Ward Beecher, mid-1800s

Default jetlag

Thanks Selchie, think I get what you mean. How long is jetlag supposed to last. I am still waking at odd hours then wanting to go to bed at 6pm?
    Went to Rotorua today. The drive was rather hair raising. Long stretches of road and then lots of climbs and bends that go on for ever. The Kiwis still drive around these as if they are on a straight road. I had to pull over a few times to let them pass as they get a bit intimadating and I am not a slow driver. The scenery was fantastic and breathtaking. A bit like the highlands of Scotland around Aberdeenshire and the Lakes as we passed a few Lakes, with a Kiwi twist. Wasn't able to see much of Rotorua as Georgia wouldn't get out of the car because of the smell.

On the way back, about midpoint between Whakatane and Rotorua is the last lake. I stopped for petrol, food and restroom. The woman behind the counter said,' let me take a guess at that accent, it's Bolton isn't it?' I was gobsmacked, no one has got it right yet! Then I accused her of watching too much Peter kay.

Got chatting and she is originally from Windemere. I said she had swapped one lake for another. She answered, that she could actually afford to live here. Came here 7 years ago. We chatted for ages about the UK, Kiwis, driving etc. I said we will have to pass that way again for a chat, my daughter actually found her interesting, which is saying a lot for a 13 year old.
    I went to Ohope Beach on Friday, again it is beautiful so I took some pics and will try to post them on here.
    Sorry guys, the file is too big. Anyone got ideas how to shrink it?
    Vee

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

Great to hear your stories, Vee. So, what do you think of Whakatane then? Is it what you expected and do you think you'll be happy there?

Pity about Rotorua. Perhaps you should go equipped with a clothes peg for Georgia next time. It would be a very educational trip for her.

I think jet lag can last up to a week. We've been lucky so far at not suffering from it until the journey home this last time. Hubster felt rough for several days afterwards and the first 2 days back, he did very little other than sleep. And he still managed to sleep through the nights as werll. Don't know if trying to fit the odd nap in during the daytime would help you to last longer in the evenings and re-establish your sleep pattern.

Quote Originally Posted by missvee View Post
    Sorry guys, the file is too big. Anyone got ideas how to shrink it?
    Depending on which programme you open your photos in, it should invite you, somewhere on there, to resize them. I usually make copies of the particular photos I want to use and just resize those copies so that the original files are left untouched.

If you have any problems, just let us know the type of programme you're using and we'll try to talk you through it. After all, we don't want to stand in the way of seeing some good photos on here again, do we?
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast