Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Moving back.

jayjay is offline Junior Member

Smile Moving back.

Hi everyone...My name's Marina and I'm brand spanking new to this forum and need some answers to things buzzing around in my head.

I've been resident in Italy for the past 10 years and also married to an Italian.We have a son (cutee of 3.5). In total I've been out of NZ for 20 years. So I'm a little or a lot out of touch with how life is back home. Of course I've visited regularly but visiting and living there are two different things. I have family back home but strangely they're not really that helpful with specific info so here I am and I'm sure I'll have lots of questions for you all in the near future.

Anyway we've decided that we've had enough of life here in Italy. It's a fab country for the history and art etc...but to live in quite frankly I don't find it the best standard of living wise. I also would like my son to have the same kind of childhood I had. I think the Kiwi way of growing up, playing outside and stuff is the best. Sooooooooooo my very first question is:

Is it better to apply for a residency permit once in New Zealand or apply for it already from over here in Italy?:confused:

I have reservations about applying from Italy as medical checks like the one that's required for residency in NZ is going to cost an absolute fortune here. If it can be done once we're already in NZ it would without a doubt cost less as here we could be looking at ?800 Euros or more with the panel doctors they've specified.

Question no. 2 is regarding our dog. I didn't quite understand on the immigration site if Italy is one of the countries included where you don't have to have your dog in quarantine for 40 days. Does anyone know?

Anyway feeling kind of nervous about the whole move. But I'm sure it's all going to be the best thing for all of us.

Ciao for now,
    Marina.

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

Marina, welcome to Move to NZ . Happy to have you with us. It’s always good to have brand spanking new members on here because it keeps the rest of us on our toes.

First off, would I be right in assuming you are a kiwi by birth, seeing as you talk about growing up there? If you hold a NZ passport you should have automatic right of entry back into NZ. NZ is crying out for absentee kiwis to return home and should welcome you with open arms. There might possibly be the odd formality you’d have to undertake to ‘reactivate’ your citizenship after all this time, but that’s all it would be, a formality. It would be different for your Italian husband, of course, but you could either sponsor him under the Partnership Policy or he could maybe get in under his own steam if he has the right credentials i.e. job skills and qualifications.

If you’re able to travel to NZ and apply for PR for your husband while you’re there, he could have his medicals done there by any general practitioner for a lot less money than employing a private panel doctor outside of NZ. The medical certificate is only valid for 3 months, therefore you’d need to time it right so it can go in with his application. I’ll have to check up further on whether there would be any formalities for you to complete, like medicals or police certificates.

With regard to your dog, take a look at this biosecurity site and note 8.2 where it mentions there that Italy has either no or well-controlled canine rabies. I haven’t read much of what it says but perhaps it will answer some of your questions. You would have to go through the usual rigmarole of having your pet vaccinated against rabies, the ensuing blood test etc. and do it all to a specific timetable but, hopefully it shouldn’t have to go into quarantine when it arrives in NZ or, at the most, it might only be ‘under house arrest’ ie. it must stay within the confines of your home for a month. Fingers crossed.

I would like to think you are making a good decision to return to NZ because of what you say about the kind of childhood you want for your son. So many parents have given the thumbs up to NZ where their children are concerned, so please don’t be nervous about your decision.
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

Oh Goodness I haven't expressed myself properly have I? I am a New Zealander born and bred.

My husband is Italian of course and we're wanting to go back together. We've been looking at flight prices and things for one way tickets. He can actually enter NZ with no visa what so ever as Italy is one of the approved countries. So I thought that we could all fly over together have him enter on the visitor's visa and then snap into action with the residence permit.

How's that sound?

Thanx for trying to calm me down about moving back but honestly speaking New Zealand does have one of the highest standards of living in the world and I'm sure my son is going to have a ball there. For me it'll be like starting all over again. So in a way that's exciting too I suppose.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by jayjay View Post
    How's that sound?
    Sounds good and the visitor's visa would give him a certain amount of time to get his application under way. If he goes over that time, he can always state that his application for PR is being processed and ask for extra time. I would hope there should be no problem with applying from NZ and, apart from being a bit easier, it should also be a lot cheaper. Can't fault it. 8)

Good luck with it. When are you intending setting off for your new life?
    Mother Bear

We're planning for Xmas fingers crossed. Destination Auckland.;D I'm a little worried though if they'll let my husband in on a one way ticket?

Exciting stuff hey? But at the same time I'm worried. I just hope everything works out. Eeeeek.:eek:

Have to go tho & pick up my son from Kindy (which he hates) I actually can't blame him but that's a story for another day.

Good night...and thanks for all your replies.:smiley1:

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by jayjay View Post
    I'm a little worried though if they'll let my husband in on a one way ticket?
    It is usual for immigration to ask for sight of a return ticket but I wonder if you explain the situation whether they might waive it. I have heard of this before but I'd certainly check it out beforehand.
    Mother Bear

Taffy is offline He who shall be ignored
    Blog Entries

I think, if you dont have a return ticket, the procedure is to show that you have sufficient funds to at least purchase a return or onward ticket. As MB says though, if you explain the situation, I cant see there being much of an issue with it.
    Taffy

The greatest mistake you can make in life is to be continually fearing you will make one.

LilAmy is offline God like figure

Hi Maria,

Welcome to the forum!

OPn our first holiday to NZ in 2005 we didnt get asked for our return ticket they just asked when we were going home and neither of us could remember the exact date and I actually think we put the wrong date on the leavers form woops. But it didnt cause any problems.

We came across last year on a 23month Working Holiday Visa (WHV) and only came across on a one way ticket. Again they didnt ask for our return ticket or even evidence of funds in our account to show we had money to fly back home with. We printed off our statements just in case that happened.

I think it all comes down to the person working on the desk at the time.

Personally I think you are doing the right thing coming back here. It is a lovely place to live. Like every country there are ups and downs but we love it here and hope to get PR rolling in Aug!

Good luck with everything and keep us posted with how things go!

Dawn is offline All Knowing Deity
    Blog Entries

Hi Maria and welcome:048: We too are hoping for a better way of life for our kids and as MB says, it seems to be the consensus from people on here. No matter what other problems they are experiencing or what complaints they may have, they all seem to agree that their kids are happier there.

We are also going over on VV and were hoping to only purchase a one way ticket. We have also heard that it might be worth buying an on ticket to Oz which can then be cancelled at a later date.

Good luck
    Passionate about the unfathomableness opportunities of kiwi-a-gogo-land

Glenda is offline All Knowing Deity

Hi Maria,

We came over on visitors visas and, like Dawn suggested, bought onward tickets to Australia. They did ask for sight of these tickets, though I think they jolly well knew that we would cancel them!

If going this route, it is probably easier to buy the tickets online with AirNZ through their NZ website, easier to cancel. Make sure you purchase tickets which can be cancelled - there are usually three choices of tickets and you will have to go for the expensive one.

Good luck with your move, I am sure it will be fine.

:)
    Glenda
    In NZ since June 2005
    Better to light a candle than to curse the darkness - Chinese proverb

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast